Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Comments

• fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Was it a very heavy landing?
    . . . . but the heavy landing and what followed from it is a separate matter. The heavy landing was presumably the fault of the pilot and not caused by the medical emergency. After all the heavy landing would hardly help the ill passenger. So I’d pursue it

The "heavy landing" could well be down to the aircraft being overweight having been fueled for Lanzarote, but only burning off a fraction of what was expected before landing at Gatwick. An overweight landing requires an aircraft inspection as mentioned by Bolton Brian. This could be a lengthy procedure and would be put down to the medical emergency and no compensation due.
  • th3_ax3
    th3_ax3 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2017 at 10:55PM
    Hi guys,

Read the sticky thread and Ryanair thread but didn’t really find anything similiar so would really really appreciate any guidance. Last month we booked flights from Glasgow to Morocco via London for travel over christmas period, so 2 seperate flights via Ryanair (i know, never again :().

I got an email towards the end of last month from Ryanair informing our Glasgow-London flights had been cancelled. Had a look online and the alternative flights to London weren’t feasible and too expensive so I didnt finalise the hotel bookings etc in Morocco and got on the phone to Ryanair.

Ryanair are now saying that they’ll simply refund the cost of Gla-London flight with no re-routing and wont cancel the London-Morocco flights either. If I was to book alternative flights now to London and finalise the hotel bookings, not only will the flight timings be unfeasible but it’ll cost us approx £800 more for this family holiday and thats not something I can afford.

Been on the phone to Ryanair for hours now several times but keep going around in circles. Has anyone else been in a similiar situation and if so, what happened? Would really appreciate any guidance
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi th3 ax3,

Please copy and paste your post onto the dedicated Ryanair thread found here...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4384705

...where you will receive an answer.

Many thanks.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Tyzap
    fifeken wrote: »
    The "heavy landing" could well be down to the aircraft being overweight having been fueled for Lanzarote, but only burning off a fraction of what was expected before landing at Gatwick. An overweight landing requires an aircraft inspection as mentioned by Bolton Brian. This could be a lengthy procedure and would be put down to the medical emergency and no compensation due.

Hi fifeken,

You make a good point, however, as the op has not been back on the site since posting, it could all end up being academic.

Having now read up on 'heavy' or 'overweight' landings it makes for interesting reading. It seems that it would only be done because of a medical incident in the most serious of circumstances, possibly life threatening.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Hi guys, would really really appreciate any advice. Last month we booked flights from Glasgow to Morocco via London for travel over christmas period, so 2 seperate flights via Ryanair.

I got an email towards the end of last month from Ryanair informing our Glasgow-London flights had now been cancelled. Had a look online and the alternative flights to London weren’t feasible and too expensive so I didnt finalise the hotel bookings etc in Morocco and got on the phone to Ryanair.

Ryanair are now saying that they’ll simply refund the cost of Gla-London flight with no re-routing and wont cancel our London-Morocco flights either. If I was to book alternative flights now to London and finalise the hotel bookings, not only will the flight timings be unfeasible but it’ll cost us approx £800 more for this family holiday and thats not something I can afford.

Been on the phone to Ryanair for hours now several times but keep going around in circles. Has anyone else been in a similiar situation and if so, what happened? Would really appreciate any guidance
  • Were the flights "non refundable"?
    If so although it seems harsh, I can't really see as you have any recourse legally, morally you do but this is Ryanair and I'm not so sure that word appears in their business model.
  • Tyzap
    th3_ax3 wrote: »
    Hi guys, would really really appreciate any advice. Last month we booked flights from Glasgow to Morocco via London for travel over christmas period, so 2 seperate flights via Ryanair.

I got an email towards the end of last month from Ryanair informing our Glasgow-London flights had now been cancelled. Had a look online and the alternative flights to London weren’t feasible and too expensive so I didnt finalise the hotel bookings etc in Morocco and got on the phone to Ryanair.

Ryanair are now saying that they’ll simply refund the cost of Gla-London flight with no re-routing and wont cancel our London-Morocco flights either. If I was to book alternative flights now to London and finalise the hotel bookings, not only will the flight timings be unfeasible but it’ll cost us approx £800 more for this family holiday and thats not something I can afford.

Hi th3 ax3,

The problem in this case is that RA are a point to point carrier and both your flights were booked separately and independently of each other.

RA are not willing to refund your 2nd flight for that reason.

It's unclear whether they have any liability for your second flight. I would have thought that you should be able to cancel it and get a full refund under these circumstances, but that might not be the case.

I hate to pass the buck, but I think you should try to contact the CAA, who regulate these matters, and ask their opinion.

You may have to get yourselves to London, via alternative transport means, to make the most of your holiday.

Good luck
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 November 2017 at 10:40AM
    toozie wrote: »
    Hi, hope I can have some advice.

After we'd book flight only with Monach, we had to re-book 4 retrun flights with Ryanair to enable us to travel on the same days as the accomodation was booked.

In the process of going through ATOL for Monach as we booked in Nov 2016.

Coming home with Ryanair we were delayed 8 hours, during which we had to travel to another airport. The initial reason was fog, and the flight couldn't land- although other planes were landing. What we didn't know/we're told the plane had landed at another airport 2.5 hours away.
    Ryanair was meant to have told passengers, but didn't, the plane was sitting on the runway waiting for all the passengers- from 3pm until 7pm.
    We were eventually told, buses were laid on we got to the other airport and had to wait for the other buses to arrive before take off.

The desination was in Europe less 1300 miles distance, so from this site I've gone the Resolver to claim back the £220 per person- this was 4 weeks ago.

I have escelated it on Resolver this week, I just wondered how long it usually is before they even consider compensation, and if I have to fight for it?

By the time we arrived home 8 hours late, we'd recived an email from Ryanair with a "delay" certificate attached for 8 hours stating we had to claim on our holiday insurance- I didn't go down this road after reading details here.

Thank you

I have had some great advice- thank you, and was just reading through Vauban when I got an email through Resolver from Ryanair stating they would refund £38 -which were expenses in Marco Polo airport, but no compensation as the flight was delayed by fog.

I see this slightly differently to them, and I was wondering what your take on the case was, please?

4 of us flying back from Marco Polo-Venice to Leeds
    Flight booked to leave 11am
    There was fog there.
    Called to departure gate to be told flight delayed until 3pm
    No other information given at all
    Waited for 3pm.
    Flights now taking off & landing & fog cleared- Ryanair plane comes in a 2pm -we thought we would be going back to Leeds on this.
    2:15 called to gate
    At gate told we should have been told we were taking off from Bologne-2.5 hours away by coach, at 3pm
    Led through airport to coach- people with suitcases had to go & get luggage.
    Got on plane at Bologne about 5pm. Told by pilot that the plane was meant to leave at 3pm, but he now had to wait for 70 more passengers to come from Marco Polo.
    Plane takes off at 6.16pm.

The whole time we were in Marco Polo the board stated the departure time was 15:00
    Nothing to say it was 15:00 from another airport

Please correct me if I'm wrong- and do I have a leg to stand on here?

The initial delay was fog- from 11am until 3pm- which is what Ryanair are saying
    But we didn't take off until 6.16 from another airport, so even if you only count the time from 3pm to 6.16pm that is a 3 hour delay, and getting back to Leeds?

So had we been told in Venice that the plane was leaving at 3pm from Bologne, and in the morning got all the passengers to Bolgone by 2pm or so, so the plane could take off from there in time -3pm, then I couldn't make a complaint I guess, because the delay would be purely because of fog?

Thank you
    :j
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Your intial delay was certainly the fog BUT it affected the previous flight rotation - your plane wasn't there to be delayed by fog in the first place.
    Operational decisions caused the majority of the delay - going to different airport, waiting for additional passenegers etc.
    Have you put your flight details into an online checker such as Botts to see if they think you have a valid claim?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JPears wrote: »
    Your intial delay was certainly the fog BUT it affected the previous flight rotation - your plane wasn't there to be delayed by fog in the first place.
    Operational decisions caused the majority of the delay - going to different airport, waiting for additional passenegers etc.
    Have you put your flight details into an online checker such as Botts to see if they think you have a valid claim?

Yes, Botts say I have a claim
    I have replied to the response through Resolver, stating I do have a claim under the legislation- and the reasons, stating as far as we were aware we were flying at 15:00 from Marco Polo etc.

So Would it be appropriate to take this to the next level of complaint if necessary?

Thank you for the reply :beer::beer:
    :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport