Wash your uniform at home ?

Comments

• The Royal College of Nursing have a form for nursing staff (inc healthcare assistants) to fill in, that you can send to the HMRC - it has uniform, NMC fees, RCN fees, socks and shoes section on it. Worked for me!

I'm too new to be able to post links but here's where to find it:

rcn.org.uk/-/media/royal-college-of-nursing/documents/council-documents/membership/tax-relief-form.pdf
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 August 2017 at 6:15PM
    tajasel wrote: »
    The Royal College of Nursing have a form for nursing staff (inc healthcare assistants) to fill in, that you can send to the HMRC - it has uniform, NMC fees, RCN fees, socks and shoes section on it. Worked for me!

I'm too new to be able to post links but here's where to find it:

rcn.org.uk/-/media/royal-college-of-nursing/documents/council-documents/membership/tax-relief-form.pdf
    yes, the help provided by the RCN has been mentioned many times before, also, unlike other trade unions/professional bodies who provide "forms" to their members, theirs does not result in you paying some of your tax refund to them as commission.

a better link is this one as it explains what else you can claim besides just laundry costs, the form is then downloaded from the bottom of the page:

https://www.rcn.org.uk/membership/tax-relief
  • HSWW
    HSWW Posts: 1 Newbie
    Uniform Washer
    Thanks so much for this, I work as a speech and language therapist, I filled out the form for the past three years, (one form for each year) for uniform cleansing, and for professional registrations. I'm due £250! And they have adjusted my tax code going forward.
    Would encourage everyone eligible to do this, well worth it!
    Thanks Martin and team.
    Hazel :T
  • I have seen an advert for taxrebates.co.uk who claim that I can claim back over £220.
    They take 25% of this but I am confused.
    HRMC Website and this website states I can claim the tax back for each year, max 5 years, of my annual allowance, which is £60.

Therefore if I claim through HRMC I'd get 5 x £12, however these guys are suggesting I'd get £220 minus their 25%?

I always avoid these sites that say they can do it for you if I can do it myself but I'm confused about the large difference of the sums, i.e. £60 vs £220.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Thanks
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do not pay someone to do this for you. You will have to do all the work & they just skim off the top. If people did this for themselves they would go out of business. You will never see HMRC recommend you use them.
  • Shamaz

If you give that company the same information as you yourself would give HMRC then you can only ever get less money from the private company.

As others have said you can do this yourself, there is no need to give them 25% for them to put the information you send to them (the private company) in an envelope and post it to HMRC.
  • And their website does actually say,

How much can I claim?
    The amount you can claim depends on your job. If claiming for the full 4 years, the standard rebate for most employees is £48. However for certain professions, HMRC has agreed higher allowances. Use our tax rebate calculator to calculate how much you are entitled to based on your circumstances

so where have you got the £220 figure from?
  • Hi, I'm self-employed but I have printed tshirt with my logo on. Can I still claim back some money?
  • shays_mum
    shays_mum Posts: 1,693 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've used this guide & just it via whattsapp with all my mate's. Thanks x
    No one said it was gonna be easy!
  • b33r
    b33r Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi,

The business I work for require us to wear the company logo'd T-shirt (and black trousers and formal shoes) however only when we will have customers, clients or suppliers in the office that day (if not we can wear what we like (within reason!). If i were to guess this is approximately 40% of the time although it is getting more frequent however doubt it will ever reach 100%.

Can I still claim?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure