Advice needed please re cancellation charges

Options

Comments

• ip2000
    ip2000 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    So you wouldn't be trying to argue the contract is unenforceable if it was for the correct airport?

I trust they won't be rebooking the holiday?

Well my DD does not want to go now, its obviously caused drama because friend messed up the booking as she was in such a rush to do it when they had all agreed to be together in someones home and book as a group with an adult to oversee, it's the first holiday they have ever booked, so were not as through if it had been me or another parent.....
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    ip2000 wrote: »
    Well my DD does not want to go now, its obviously caused drama because friend messed up the booking as she was in such a rush to do it when they had all agreed to be together in someones home and book as a group with an adult to oversee, it's the first holiday they have ever booked, so were not as through if it had been me or another parent.....

You didn't answer my question.

You're setting a poor example to your daughter, all she's learning from this is that if she messes up she should blame someone else and forget taking responsibility.

It's good to know they're not planning to enter into any further contracts.
  • ip2000
    Options
    I don't have to answer your question IAmWales!!

I asked for advice, which I have been given. I'm not going to enter into a debate with you about the rights and wrongs of a teenager. It's not relevant or useful.

It's also good to know you must have been perfect at 17 and never made a mistake!...
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was on hold forever this a.m, had to go to work, back home now and back on hold, will keep you informed....

I do not think it is worth ringing them. Rather, I suggest you help your daughter to WRITE to them (snail mail, perhaps recorded delivery or at least keep proof of posting) saying that she is cancelling her booking, and pointing out that since she and her friend are under age the contract is not enforceable, and if the holiday company require any further payment beyond the lost deposit then... they can go and whistle for it!!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

You're setting a poor example to your daughter, all she's learning from this is that if she messes up she should blame someone else and forget taking responsibility.

I disagree.

Had the company behaved reasonably, and allowed them to modify the booking once the error had been noticed, there would not have been an issue. The company used the letter of the law (in this case the T and Cs) to cause problems for the girls, so it is entirely reasonable for the girls to use the letter of the law to avoid making further payment for a booking that they are unable to use.
  • ip2000
    Options
    Thank you so much Voyager2002, brilliant idea, I will get her to write this evening.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

You do realise that it wasn't OP's daughter who messed up, yes?

The only example that I can see OP setting is to not roll over and accept unreasonable one-sided T&C's.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • ip2000
    Options
    Ok, have spoke to LoveHolidays this a.m they are saying she is liable for payment, it doesn't matter that although they state to make a booking you must be over 18, they said because it was done online the person "could have entered their d.o.b wrong".
    Easyjet have cancelled the flights with no charge because it was within 24 hours of the booking being made.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Ok, have spoke to LoveHolidays this a.m they are saying she is liable for payment, it doesn't matter that although they state to make a booking you must be over 18, they said because it was done online the person "could have entered their d.o.b wrong".
    Easyjet have cancelled the flights with no charge because it was within 24 hours of the booking being made.

So Easyjet cancelled a travel agents booking without the travel agent authorising it?
  • ip2000
    Options
    LH told me I would have to call easyjet, and they have cancelled her flight yes. But LH are saying she may be liable for other costs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure