Why would anyone cycle to work?

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Stoke wrote: »
    That said, I saw the exact opposite today, cyclist with no helmet...

Tsk tsk! I saw a motorist without driving gloves the other day! It ought to be illegal!

Fair enough on your other points though. But he wasn't jumping red lights and riding dangerously because he's a cyclist. He's doing it because he's a nutter. You get the same thing with motorists. Some people drive sensibly; some don't.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    esuhl wrote: »
    Tsk tsk! I saw a motorist without driving gloves the other day! It ought to be illegal!

Fair enough on your other points though. But he wasn't jumping red lights and riding dangerously because he's a cyclist. He's doing it because he's a nutter. You get the same thing with motorists. Some people drive sensibly; some don't.

Yeah...... not sure the two are comparable. A cyclists helmit can genuinely save your life...... and has been proven to, time, and time, and time again. Wearing gloves while driving..... keeps you hands warm maybe?
  • Most people do it for exercise and because cars are expensive to run! Traffic is a problem when you are in a car, too, as you have to wait. If you are on a bike, you can cycle straight past the traffic :)
  • esuhl
    Stoke wrote: »
    Yeah...... not sure the two are comparable. A cyclists helmit can genuinely save your life...... and has been proven to, time, and time, and time again. Wearing gloves while driving..... keeps you hands warm maybe?

Cycle helmets offer little benefit in most accidents. Evidence also suggests that drivers behave more recklessly around cyclists wearing helmets.

A lot of motorists' injuries would have been prevented by wearing a helmet when driving. But I've never seen anyone in a car wearing one.

At the end of the day, there's no reason cyclists should feel the need to wear a helmet. They're not required by law, put people off cycling, and offer very limited protection anyway.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 October 2017 at 4:11PM
    Cycle helmets offer little benefit in most accidents. Evidence also suggests that drivers behave more recklessly around cyclists wearing helmets.

A lot of motorists' injuries would have been prevented by wearing a helmet when driving. But I've never seen anyone in a car wearing one.

At the end of the day, there's no reason cyclists should feel the need to wear a helmet. They're not required by law, put people off cycling, and offer very limited protection anyway.

strongly disagree with that. I know several people who reckon their lives have been saved by them. However limited the protection, stupid not to wear one. I find it hard to believe people drive more recklessly around cyclists with helmets, that just seems mad. (although I do notice drivers give you more room when you have a child on the back)
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    strongly disagree with that. I know several people who reckon their lives have been saved by them. However limited the protection, stupid not to wear one. I find it hard to believe people drive more recklessly around cyclists with helmets, that just seems mad. (although I do notice drivers give you more room when you have a child on the back)

Me and a couple of relatives.

Whilst I agree that in quite a lot of accidents a helmet may not prevent significant injury, in the small amount that they do they are invaluable.

When you think that just slipping over and bumping your head can lead to serious permanent injury and even death (happened to a friend of ours, 16 year old son, slipped on some ice banged his head and died) I would never ride my bike without.
  • esuhl
    When you think that just slipping over and bumping your head can lead to serious permanent injury and even death (happened to a friend of ours, 16 year old son, slipped on some ice banged his head and died) I would never ride my bike without.

But would you ever walk in icy weather without a helmet? Why not?

There are dangers to walking in icy conditions, just as there are dangers with cycling, driving and everything else.

People have the freedom to wear a helmet when doing any of these activities if they wish, but it's a bit silly to criticise anyone who chooses not to.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    But would you ever walk in icy weather without a helmet? Why not?

There are dangers to walking in icy conditions, just as there are dangers with cycling, driving and everything else.

People have the freedom to wear a helmet when doing any of these activities if they wish, but it's a bit silly to criticise anyone who chooses not to.

you're relatively unlikely to have a serious fall onto your head while walking. On a bike you're MUCH more likely to fall on your head and at a speed which can cause serious damage. The "going over the handlebars" crash, we all know it or have experienced it!

There are risks in everything we do, but when a risk can so easily be reduced then yes its silly!
    I do respect your right to be silly though and as it doesn't endanger anyone other than yourself don't think I favour them being compulsory.
  • Stoke wrote: »

I've always considered cycling to work, but nah, it's too risky tbh.

It depends where you live, and what other options you have.

I cycle out of choice.

Only a few miles, cheaper and faster than taking the car.
  • Few tips from someone who has been cycling to work since 1980 and selected jobs in the past on whether they are within a safe cycling distance.
    Always use the cycle path.
    Ride defensively.
    Don't rush.
    Enjoy the fresh air.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business