PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Labeling food in freezer?

How do other people identify frozen meals in their freezers?

I love my slow cooker and like to freeze surplus portions ready for a quick and easy tea. However I've found once frozen, they look identical. Is it chilli? Bolognese? Casserole? BBQ chicken? I can never tell!

I don't think marker pen will work on the plastic, and even if it did, I might not re-use that tub for the same meal.

How does everyone else do it?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594

Comments

• I write on a piece of masking tape and stick it on the container. I keep a list of the freezer contents in a cupboard so that I don't have to rummage in the freezer unnecessarily.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,039 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I use a Sharpie marker on the lids of plastic freezer boxes (we don't tend to have takeaways, so I've bought a stack of the 8-for-a-pound ones). Although the marker stays on very well in the freezer, I can still scrub it off okay in hot soapy water to re-use it next time.

I keep a written inventory of what's in the freezers and now always look at that first when deciding on the following week's menus and shopping lists. This has really worked for me - previously I ended up with a freezer stuffed full of stuff which I always meant to use but never did. Now the extra portions of things get used up within a couple of weeks and stock rotation is far better.
  • i have the sticky labels I use for when I'm making preserves. they stay on in the freezer and wash off easily.
    I do admit tho I have plenty of ufos in the freezer, but I don't mind chilli shepherds pie and stuff like that.
    I do remember thinking a small pot of kulfi was a sauce tho, luckily I didn't pour it on the chicken I had planned to :D
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jack_pott wrote: »
    I write on a piece of masking tape and stick it on the container. I keep a list of the freezer contents in a cupboard so that I don't have to rummage in the freezer unnecessarily.

I also use masking tape as it is easy to write on, but I do put a layer of sellotape over the top as that has better sticking power.
    I also have a list which is in excel but gets printed out and scribbled on till it is too much of a mess and then I update the electronic master and reprint.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    freezer surprise!!!!!!!!

I once got a tub of frozen bananas thinking it was chicken fillets.. they are surprisingly similar through a plastic tub.. and I've had bacon casserole because it looked like pork lol...
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • C_J wrote: »
    I use a Sharpie marker on the lids of plastic freezer boxes

I started using a marker pen, but I quit because it was leaving a permanent stain on the boxes.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sticky labels. And a spreadsheet detailing what is in which drawer, how much of it, and what size/type of box/bag it is in.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    katiepants wrote: »
    How do other people identify frozen meals in their freezers?

I love my slow cooker and like to freeze surplus portions ready for a quick and easy tea. However I've found once frozen, they look identical. Is it chilli? Bolognese? Casserole? BBQ chicken? I can never tell!

I don't think marker pen will work on the plastic, and even if it did, I might not re-use that tub for the same meal.

How does everyone else do it?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    I use plastic boxes (from takeaways) for my batch meals but when they are frozen, I take them out and bag them and label the bag with date and item, using an indelible marker from Wilko.

Thee containers can then be washed ready to be used again.
    and it saves on space if your containers are not full to the brim.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 October 2017 at 1:30PM
    We use regular sticky labels, the sort that you put on envelopes. My husband took part in several postal delivery surveys for Royal Mail and we have dozens of partially used sheets of labels as a result. (He got paid in stamps.) I have never had an issue with the labels falling off in the freezer. Being frugal, I only use part of a label each time.

I write on the labels using either a regular BIC biro or a permanent marker - whichever comes to hand first - and I haven't found a difference in "survival rates". Both are legible for months. (NB: The permanent marker gets used for writing on freezer bags and they both live in the cupboard together.)

Edited to add: I always write the date on my labels. No further admin needed.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I am really bad for putting half boxes of takeaway curry in the freezer and forgetting what is in what box.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure