PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

buy to let, is it worth it?

Options

Comments

• mn2203
    mn2203 Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    - it is exempt for the time you physically live in it as your main residence (plus the final 18 months of your ownership of it irrespective of whether you live there or not)
    - it is liable for the period you do not live there (excl the final 18 months).
    do some reading?
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/private-residence-relief-hs283-self-assessment-helpsheet

Hi _ I have read that link, thanks - just wanted to check if I'd understood it correctly - so I were to move out to live with bf and rent, as long as I sold within 18 months of moving out I would not be liable for CGT? Or say I sold 24 months after moving out, I would be liable only for the first 6 months I'd moved out?

Thanks
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 May 2017 at 5:44PM
    Options
    mn2203 wrote: »
    Hi _ I have read that link, thanks - just wanted to check if I'd understood it correctly - so I were to move out to live with bf and rent, as long as I sold within 18 months of moving out I would not be liable for CGT? Or say I sold 24 months after moving out, I would be liable only for the first 6 months I'd moved out?

Thanks
    yes, although you'd also be able to claim letting relief which may cover those 6 months anyway. See example calculation, note it should use months not years but for simplicity I use years...

example 1: own it for 10 years, move out after 9 years, let it for final year until sold

PRR = 9 years occupation + final 18 months = 100% exempt

example 2: own 10 years, move out after 8 years, let for final 2 years. Gross gain on selling £100,000

PRR = 8 + 1.5 = 9.5years. PPR amount £100,000 x 9.5/10 = £95,000
    LR = lower of
    a) PRR (£95,000)
    b) gain in the let period: 10 years - 9.5 = 0.5 years. £100,000 x0.5/10 = £5,000
    c) £40,000 max allowed

lowest is b)

net taxable gain: Gross Gain - PRR - LR - personal allowance (if needed) 100k - 95 - 5 - (PA not needed) = ZERO

remember the calculation applies to each owner so where more than one owner the gain is split and each person does the calculation on their respective share of the gain so each gets their own element of PRR and LR plus personal allowance
  • mn2203
    mn2203 Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes, although you'd also be able to claim letting relief which may cover those 6 months anyway. See example calculation, note it should use months not years but for simplicity I use years...

example 1: own it for 10 years, move out after 9 years, let it for final year until sold

PRR = 9 years occupation + final 18 months = 100% exempt

example 2: own 10 years, move out after 8 years, let for final 2 years. Gross gain on selling £100,000

PRR = 8 + 1.5 = 9.5years. PPR amount £100,000 x 9.5/10 = £95,000
    LR = lower of
    a) PRR (£95,000)
    b) gain in the let period: 10 years - 9.5 = 0.5 years. £100,000 x0.5/10 = £5,000
    c) £40,000 max allowed

lowest is b)

net taxable gain: Gross Gain - PRR - LR - personal allowance (if needed) 100k - 95 - 5 - (PA not needed) = ZERO

remember the calculation applies to each owner so where joint owners the gain is split and each person does the calculation on their respective share of the gain

Great, thank you.

I bought for £83k and valued at £125k. I only earn £20k per year. So for a short term solution to make sure me and bf like living together, and to see where careers go (his could take him to move to another part of the country in the next 2-5 years) this doesn't sound as bad a financial option as I feared learning of the new regulations. Thanks
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can go property another way, by investing with housecrowd or picking the property investments from thincats.

As a matter of interest - have you had personal experience of those 2 platforms?

ta
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mn2203 wrote: »
    Great, thank you.

I bought for £83k and valued at £125k. I only earn £20k per year. So for a short term solution to make sure me and bf like living together, and to see where careers go (his could take him to move to another part of the country in the next 2-5 years) this doesn't sound as bad a financial option as I feared learning of the new regulations. Thanks

The new regulations are designed to hit portfolio landlords who are over-leveraged, forcing them to sell so the government can say "Look at all the supply for FTB`s we have created", you should be fine.
  • wellspurs
    Options
    My mother in law has sold her dilapidated but valuable house in Oxford to move to a nursing home near us in Kent.
    The cost of the home is £720 per week and with some £400k in the bank I was thinking of BTL in the Kent area.
    With interests rates low and not willing to gamble on traditional investments we've been considering BTL.

We have LPA but will it be buying in her sole name. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • 00ec25
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 6:41PM
    Options
    wellspurs wrote: »
    We have LPA but will it be buying in her sole name. Any advice would be appreciated.
    PAY for professional advice from a registered independent financial adviser, anything less leaves you wide open to not having taken proper care of your trustee duties

nursing home or care home???

average length of stay in a nursing home before death is <2 years

for a care home, her 400k will cover upwards of 10 years so as LPA holders how old is she and what is most prudent for HER money for what remains of her life - presumably as an LPA is in place and you are already administering it, her prognosis is relatively short?

Buying a property in a high cost part of the SE England and thus exposing her to the costs and risks of being a LL may not be deemed to be appropriate actions of her trustees given housing market uncertainty
  • wellspurs
    Options
    PAY for professional advice from a registered independent financial adviser, anything less leaves you wide open to not having taken proper care of your trustee duties

nursing home or care home???

average length of stay in a nursing home before death is <2 years

for a care home, her 400k will cover upwards of 10 years so as LPA holders how old is she and what is most prudent for HER money for what remains of her life - presumably as an LPA is in place and you are already administering it, her prognosis is relatively short?

Buying a property in a high cost part of the SE England and thus exposing her to the costs and risks of being a LL may not be deemed to be appropriate actions of her trustees given housing market uncertainty

Thanks, her total assets are about £750k so there is plenty of provision for a 93 year old in a CARE home!

I will seek the advice of a registered financial advisor but BTL I thought would be one way to reduce the impact of a £38k a year outgoing.
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    My mother in law has sold her dilapidated but valuable house in Oxford to move to a nursing home near us in Kent.
    The cost of the home is £720 per week and with some £400k in the bank I was thinking of BTL in the Kent area.
    With interests rates low and not willing to gamble on traditional investments we've been considering BTL.

I know it's a bit late now but you might have been better off tarting up her Oxford house and renting that.
    Recently I was in a rent or sell dilemma in Oxford, ended up selling a 3 bed terrace for £600k rent could have been circa £2250 pcm
  • 00ec25
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks, her total assets are about £750k so there is plenty of provision for a 93 year old in a CARE home!

I will seek the advice of a registered financial advisor but BTL I thought would be one way to reduce the impact of a £38k a year outgoing.
    I doubt she will live for another 10 - 15 years so a BTL looks more like you considering an inheritance than keeping sufficient cash available for her needs. Yes you have an LPA, yes it will be you not her who undertakes LL responsibilities, but all the same, I doubt an IFA would recommend a BTL in the circumstances - even allowing for the cynical view that an IFA may "just" be influenced to a product that pays commission to him
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure