Delayed Car

2»

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are they honoring your trade in price from when you would have traded in?
    Because it's going to be worth a lot less a year later.
  • deliville
    deliville Posts: 5 Forumite
    I would imagine so. Its on finance through them anyway but I've already got my documents to say the monthly amount I will pay for the new car. Although the mileage at trade in was going to be around 6000, if I trade it in next year though I should imagine it'll be at considerably more than 6000!
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,686 Forumite
    It might be worth getting it in writing
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    bigbulldog wrote: »
    Please guys when giving advise make sure it's correct.!!!

Deliville,VW offer a a free hire car if your factory order is delayed excessively and it's called mobel speak to the supplying dealer or even VW customer care department.

I must say I worked in a VW garage for 4 years & I have never heard of this....
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Please guys when giving advise make sure it's correct.!!!

Deliville,VW offer a a free hire car if your factory order is delayed excessively and it's called mobel speak to the supplying dealer or even VW customer care department.
    photome wrote: »
    That seems too good to be true.

will VW hire a car to the OP for nearly a year.?
    Well it was better than the crap you said !!!!!!!!!

I will ask again, will they lend the OP a car for almost a year
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    deliville wrote: »
    I just feel I was misinformed - no one mentioned at any time a factory closure until yesterday - I had no idea factories did this.
    They didn't mention it because the original estimate meant that it was unlikely to be an issue. However, the slippage - and, as you say, it's a new car, slippages in launches happen - has meant it is an issue. As you also say, the new-shape Polo is not being assembled in Germany - it's being built in Spain for LHD markets, but in South Africa for the UK and other RHD markets - which means longer delivery times between factory and dealer. But SA is southern hemisphere, so this is not a seasonal shutdown. It's entirely possible that early production has shown line issues, and the shutdown is rectifying those.

It doesn't take more than a second or three's light googling to show that May was the estimate for the very first production cars to arrive in the UK, as far back as January, so being told "May, perhaps April" in February was never feasible.

You do not yet have a firm build date, let alone delivery, just an estimate. So a loan/gap-filler car is very unlikely to happen.

Can you cancel? Yes, probably.
    If you don't want to cancel, are you entitled to compo...? No...
  • deliville
    deliville Posts: 5 Forumite
    Surely the sales rep is wrong for telling me May then? I understand and accept things can delay a new car etc. but waiting 13 months for a Polo GTI with two added upgrades? It's not like it's a top of the range Mercedes with 100 added extras!
    Fair enough if I'm not entitled to compensation but should I expect a good will gesture for poor communication and lengthy delay? And if so, what would be acceptable to ask for?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Surely the sales rep is wrong for telling me May then?
    It may well be that that was what he genuinely understood the situation to be. Either way, he gave you the code to see the accurate and continually-updated situation on VW's website. That told you no build date was confirmed - and continues to tell you that, because no build date has been confirmed.

I understand and accept things can delay a new car etc. but waiting 13 months for a Polo GTI with two added upgrades? It's not like it's a top of the range Mercedes with 100 added extras!
    A build slot is a build slot. Options make no difference, unless they mean that a car in stock meets your preferred spec.

There is no build slot simply because they haven't started building them yet. This is one of the risks you take when you order a car that's not started production. In addition, spec may change, and you may not actually like it, since you haven't test-driven one.
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Surely the sales rep is wrong for telling me May then? I understand and accept things can delay a new car etc. but waiting 13 months for a Polo GTI with two added upgrades? It's not like it's a top of the range Mercedes with 100 added extras!
    Fair enough if I'm not entitled to compensation but should I expect a good will gesture for poor communication and lengthy delay? And if so, what would be acceptable to ask for?

He won't know, but he may have gone to the sales admin (who pulls the cars in & places the factory orders) & asked when they are starting to come in & they may have said "they'll start coming in in May, but you could be waiting until the end of the year or worse". Not wanting to lose you as a customer he will have just said May.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

A car for the year, or giving you the current trade-in value for your car, in 13 months, would be 2 relevant forms of compensation, or good will.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure