Welcome Finance Underwriters

Hello all,
I am brand new to this forum and looking to see if anyone out there would know who was the 'underwriter' for Welcome Finance Ltd in 1999 ?
I took out a Hire Purchase agreement which had PPI on there (I still have the paperwork) but it is proving very difficult to find out who was the underwriter at the time.
Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You've got a snowballs chance of getting anywhere with this.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Hi - why do you think there is no chance of getting this ?
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What use is knowing who the underwriter is?
  • I was under the impression that I could make a claim against the underwriter of the original Hire Purchase agreement as Welcome Finance were not regulated at that particular time ?
  • -taff wrote: »
    You've got a snowballs chance of getting anywhere with this.

I don't understand why it should be so difficult if I can locate the underwriter of the agreement ? Surely, if I was mis-sold PPI it shouldn't make a difference who sold it or when it was sold ?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 March 2018 at 3:28PM
    The underwriter method only works in a tiny number of cases and only if the commercial agreement and dates all align.

From my reading here, the underwriters were Aviva. However, they are only liable for the pre-regulation period from June 2003 until January 2005.

So, with yours being 1999, that is before June 2003 and therefore outside the period that Aviva are liable.
    Surely, if I was mis-sold PPI it shouldn't make a difference who sold it or when it was sold ?

Insurance was not regulated until January 2005. So, a breach of regulation cannot occur if the regulation didnt exist. However, there was an earlier body which operated a voluntary code and Aviva are responsible for that period. That is June 2003 to Jan 2005. Prior to that there were no regulations. So, no breach of regulations can occur.

Banks have to go back further because of their regulatory position historically. That is why dates dont matter with them.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    The underwriter method only works in a tiny number of cases and only if the commercial agreement and dates all align.

From my reading here, the underwriters were Aviva. However, they are only liable for the pre-regulation period from June 2003 until January 2005.

So, with yours being 1999, that is before June 2003 and therefore outside the period that Aviva are liable.

Insurance was not regulated until January 2005. So, a breach of regulation cannot occur if the regulation didnt exist. However, there was an earlier body which operated a voluntary code and Aviva are responsible for that period. That is June 2003 to Jan 2005. Prior to that there were no regulations. So, no breach of regulations can occur.

Banks have to go back further because of their regulatory position historically. That is why dates dont matter with them.

Thanks for the detailed response, there maybe some discrepancy in the dates mentioned as far as Aviva are concerned.
    I submitted my complaint to Aviva and they acknowledged the fact that they were indeed underwriters to Welcome Finance products but only between 1st June 2000 and 26th February 2003.
    They've led me to believe that had my HP agreement been between those dates then I would have had a strong case because of the original paperwork I still have.
    Surely the underwriter (whoever they are) would at least have an obligation to look at the paperwork and respond given the massive amount of mis-selling that has been discovered across the industry in relation to PPI regardless of rules and regs at that particular time ?
    There's a moral issue here too (not that they could give a monkeys about that) ]but I'd really like to find out who was responsible for underwriting the agreement so I can at least put my case directly to them.
    I'm more than happy to share my progress on here too and at least that way people will know whether or not these loans / cards/ HP agreements etc (of a certain date) with PPI attached can be challenged.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Surely the underwriter (whoever they are) would at least have an obligation to look at the paperwork and respond given the massive amount of mis-selling that has been discovered across the industry in relation to PPI regardless of rules and regs at that particular time ?
    No obligation as they are the provider and not the seller. It is only through a quirk of regulation that there is even the potential for a short period prior to regulation.

If Tesco were promoting Heinz Beans and you got it home and found out it was Nutella and you are allergic to nuts, who would you complain to? You are suggesting that Nutella are responsible for the missale.
    I'm more than happy to share my progress on here too and at least that way people will know whether or not these loans / cards/ HP agreements etc (of a certain date) with PPI attached can be challenged.

I did a look here and elsewhere and could not find any success prior to GISC membership. So, either there is none, or people are not posting it or google didnt like my search words.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    No obligation as they are the provider and not the seller. It is only through a quirk of regulation that there is even the potential for a short period prior to regulation.

Thanks for the information on this it is much appreciated.

It looks like I've got little to no chance of getting anywhere with anyone on this which makes me even more determined.

I will endeavour to find out who underwrote the agreement and I'll also be going back to Welcome Finance as it was their sales person who sold the policy and therefore attached the PPI to the HP agreement.

If you or anyone else has any other suggestions I'd be very interested to hear them. If I manage to find out who the underwriters are I'll post it here !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure