PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ha ha Kittie .I'm the same I think it's kondo-itis an addiction to kondoing !
    I sit desperately thinking up what I can kondo !!
    I got some cheap black spray paint from aldi and have sprayed a picture frame, and 2 metal garden birds that had gone rusty. I'd been meaning to do it for ages.

I found some stuff in the freezer that I'd got in for hubby that I won't eat , so I've given a carrier bag to dd2, along with car cleaning stuff another bag gone out of garage.
    I'm desperate to kondo the garage but it's much too cold for a wuss like me to spend hours in there.
    I've bleached the bathroom grout, and cleaned the light fitting in the bathroom and landing.
    I'm waiting patiently for my hairdresser to return from a long holiday, he went at Xmas! ! So I can kondo my hair. It's short and needs keeping on top of to look it's best.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks Kittie - one very large bag of fabric gone to my local hospice craft shop - including some beautiful Thai silk that Ive had for about 20 years! Always intending to make a dress from it but never got aroundtuit :( It deserves to be used!) Some lovely handwoven fabric I bought back from Israel and more I bought in Dubai. All sat in the drawer for over 10 years - better gone than die in storage.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for the tip about the Red Cross GQ, there isn't one close to where we presently live, but there is one in the town we're moving to in a couple of years, so that will be used in the future.

I know that some of the sports shops will accept old trainers for recycling.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• haha, wort, yesterday I used touch up black gloss on my bike and at the moment am hiding as my hair is awful. Its short and I am a month overdue for a cut, hairdresser away and then a road blockage

I have done what I can in the sewing room. Taken two big bags to cs. Good job I had something to do today, am feeling restless and that leads to me nibbling at whatever I can find, doing kondo is better but now I finished, I just had toast and hm jam :D
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    VJsmum wrote: »
    I did finally get rid of a load of lecture notes that are 14 years old and so well out of date, but i don't ever want to teach that subject again and that, even if i was forced to by circumstances, the notes are too out of date to be useful. I think i am also going to throw out the course notes for a creative writing course i signed up to - even though the course cost quite a bit of money. but i have never completed the course and i think any writing I now do would take a different direction and context.

This is kind of all in the mahoosive paperwork category that is really the only one i haven't done.
    This is the kind of thing I've been doing - but I've spread my wings so wide, I've got notes from all sorts of courses :o
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 10 February 2018 at 7:14PM
    We're having our kitchen refitted and when I was packing everything up ready for the old units to be taken out I collected up a box worth of stuff for the CS. The new units are all in now, so I've started putting things away in them today (I can't put stuff in all of them, for several reasons, until the end of the week) As I'm putting things away (which is taking time, as the new cupboards are a slightly different configuration to old ones, and are different sizes so things are having to go in different places) I'm re-checking for joy-sparking qualities. So far I've set aside 3 boxed pairs of Waterford crystal glasses (all unused and still in original Waterford tissue wrapping in the boxes - never even been unwrapped :o), 3 large Denby serving platters (used one of them once), a Denby storage jar and 8 Denby teacups and saucers (all unused - I'd forgotten we even had them! - got them for our wedding back in 1995 and they've been through 2 house moves since). These will all be fleabayed. The rest remains (for now - I may revisit it some time) When I was younger I felt the need to have virtually everything possible in our dinner service range - and all of the glasses (at least 8 of each) - even if I would never use them (eg: sherry) - in the crystal we chose.... I no longer feel that way! :D

I still have over half the boxes of 'stuff' to unpack, so no doubt I can find some more bits for either the CS or fleabay :) I am also building up a box of things (eg duplicate utensils - who needs 3 pairs of kitchen tongs....?) for DS1 - he should hopefully be off to uni later this year, so I see little point in donating a heap of stuff only to buy the same kind of things 6 months down the line.... :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    So this week is usually when I do my 'Spring Clean'.......hmm snow on the ground and a biting wind I feel I just want to curl up in front of log burner and watch wall to wall Olympics......no incentive to do that deep clean:(
    But I need to get my arris into gear as I promised myself I would not spend another year KMing every holiday - dont mind the clean and little sort outs but the blimmin big cupboard/shed sorts outs need to be a thing of the past if I am to take any joy from life!

Had a few successes on Eb*y so will concentrate on doing that for a day or two. Took three large bags of books to weigh in - not going to bother again. Will just take to CS in future - book shelves are still full - how come?? I must have taken 50 books away??!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    greent wrote: »
    (eg duplicate utensils - who needs 3 pairs of kitchen tongs....?) f

ME!:rotfl::rotfl: Actually I have 4:o But in my defence they are all used depending on what I am doing - different size/types/shapes for different jobs..........Oh only me then..........KM failure:D
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Wandered around in spare room ,opening wardrobes and had a reconfigure not of clothes but the things I'm storing on shelves in there.
    Going is a camera, a load of craft stuff for kids, some fabric offcuts,5 shoebox es, a lead for a printer I no longer have. A baseball cap, bought because I forgot my straw hat on holiday, I will give that to my niece.
    Some children's books dgson is too old for the will go to my sister's grandchildren.
    A washbag never used I've been meaning to take to a school bring and buy and keep forgetting there's also a brand new travel hairdryer , tbh these were presents years ago but not what I would use.
    I found a couple of self adhesive hooks that I've put up in the airing cupboard, to hang damp towels on after my shower. At the moment I throw them over the bannister! !
    I love a tidy !:T
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    OK, I'm back on the Kondo bandwagon!
    I spent the afternoon sorting lots of things that got neglected while I was away (Nov, Dec, Jan).
    I was in a tizzy because the multipurpose room was such a mess and I am back at work, had commitments all last week, including a funeral, had to spend this morning in town, have to visit in-laws all of tomorrow, working 3 days next week then have all day with SIL for her birthday. And breathe!
    Anyway, I got stuck in and spent about 3 hours sorting and tidying. It went well ! All put away that can be put away.
    I still have 3 large-ish xmas pressies awaiting delivery - hope to arrange lunch with friends so they can be gifted soon!
    Then I kondo'd some work for a client (hand-washing) and updated my timesheets from last week so I can do my invoices when the time co es.
    I also checked out iplayer podcasts - listing quite a few I want to listen to. I have been meaning to do this for ages but somehow never sat down to do it. I have been catching up on a month's worth of the Archers omnibus on iplayer while getting stuff done!!

Stuff being released includes a large tote bag I was given last year, didn't want, haven't found a use for and that was taking up valuable real estate! It is such a good feeling to [STRIKE]get rid[/STRIKE] release it :rotfl:
    Also out are 2 felt xmas-themed plant pot holders, unwanted items passed to me at xmas 2016, but I can't bear to keep them another 10.5 months 'justincase' I can think of someone who might like them.

Such a relief to get the room looking respectable again. A huge weight off my mind.

Sorry for the essay!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family