IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Wye Valley Visitors Centre PCN (ParkingEye)

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some advice. I've read the MSE guide and looked at the template letters there but browsing through this forum I've seen other templates that ask very specific questions to the parking company. So I'm genuinely a bit confused about what to do. I'm resolved that ignoring the PCN completely is not a good idea. Part of me thinks, just pay the £60 but then another part of me just feels so angry that these companies can profiteer from small innocent mistakes by people trying to play by the rules but getting caught out by confusing parking systems.

Let me give you the background:

Wye Valley Visitors Centre has always been free parking. The driver has been there many times over the years when suddenly they have installed an ANPR payment system. The driver turned up one day and didn't realise for around 20 minutes that you now have to pay. There was no barrier on the car park entry and the signage wasn't so obvious, particularly if you are not looking for it. Once the driver realised they needed to pay, they bought a ticket for a 4 hour stay (£3). However the driver had no way to know the exact time they entered the car park. The ticket only showed the time the ticket was purchased. The driver left the car park in the belief that they were still within their paid for time but a week later got a PCN for £100 (£60 discounted in paid within 14 days). According to ParkingEye's records the driver overstayed for 18 minutes.

I really don't want to pay this charge, but equally I don't want to have to deal with the stress and worry of threatening letters and possible court action. My questions are:

What is the best way to fight this? Do I have a realistic chance of getting it overturned by appeal? Is ParkingEye likely to take it to court if I just refuse to pay?

Any advice/help much appreciated.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Did the PCN arrive within 14 days and does it say in the blurb half way down, that registered keeper will be liable after 29 days?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Did the PCN arrive within 14 days and does it say in the blurb half way down, that registered keeper will be liable after 29 days?

Yes it arrived 7 days later and I'm certain it said the stuff about the registered keeper. I don't have it to hand right now.
  • If I appeal and it takes more than the 14 days then will I be liable for the full £100 after the appeal is rejected? Or do they give you another discount period?

If I understand correctly, if you just refuse to pay then they can pursue you for up to 6 years (assuming they don't take you to court)?
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    PE almost always go to court if somebody does not pay an invoice , I would say there is no "may" about it, they pursued BARRY BEAVIS through 3 courts with 11 judges over almost 2 years, so only a fool would assume they would not do so

in pursuing the person being invoiced court is the ultimate sanction, it is why the 6 year rule exists , not for any other reason. the alleged "debt" never , NEVER goes away , it remains on file , but after 6 years they cannot use the small claims court to try to get the alleged debt satisfied , which is why many claims may be near the 6 year deadline
  • From the research I've done I'm not inclined to believe an appeal would have much chance of success and I don't want the stress of being harassed for years to come over this. I'm thinking it might just be easier to grit my teeth and pay the £60.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    bear in mind that clause #13 of the BPA CoP states 2 grace periods apply , the first one is before you pay for a ticket and is typically up to 10 minutes being deemed "reasonable" (to park up , read the signage , pay for a ticket) , the second one is a grace period of OVER 10 minutes to leave at the end of the parking period

so it seems to me that GRACE PERIODS would be one of the winning points in this instance

you can read all about PE and their tactics in this recent blog

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/parkingeye-employee-reveals-their-rape.html
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 March 2017 at 6:12PM
    From the research I've done I'm not inclined to believe an appeal would have much chance of success and I don't want the stress of being harassed for years to come over this. I'm thinking it might just be easier to grit my teeth and pay the £60.

And in so doing, you sponsor this industry and fund the next PCNs to vulnerable victims. Please don't be that person, do not be a victim who actually helps perpetuate this rip-off against more victims. And boy you give up easily; we win almost every POPLA appeal.

What happened when you picked up the phone to complain to the landowners?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    as above what happened when you contacted the visitors centre?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • The Visitor Centre website says staff cannot support with PCNs so telephoning will probably not get me far, however I have the names of the owners so I am writing them a strongly worded letter. Should I also respond to PE in the meantime?

I've decided to fight it not just pay up. Even if ultimately I lose and end up having to pay the full £100, I'll feel better that I've put up a fight and made it difficult for them.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The Visitor Centre website says staff cannot support with PCNs so telephoning will probably not get me far, however I have the names of the owners so I am writing them a strongly worded letter. Should I also respond to PE in the meantime?

I've decided to fight it not just pay up. Even if ultimately I lose and end up having to pay the full £100, I'll feel better that I've put up a fight and made it difficult for them.

You can also let others know using facebook, twitter and Trip Advisor

HEADLINE
    WARNING: PREDATORY PARKING COMPANY OPERATES HERE
    STAY AWAY
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business