PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

I would like to publicly set the end of Sept 2016 as the latest date for kondoing my wardrobe. I've put it off for at least 18 months with the excuse that I was going to declutter some lbs so that stuff actually fits me again. That still hasn't happened (if anything, the reverse is true :o) Too proud to buy clothes for my current size that I don't wish to be, I am in the ludicrous situation of having a wardrobe busting at the seams with clothes I cannot wear. No more! 8 weeks to shift the lbs, or clear out and start again for the weight and shape that I am.

Anyone wish to join me (and hold me accountable :D?

Would love to keep you company on your journey and for you to give me a kick up the large derrière when I slip up xx
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 July 2016 at 2:55PM
    I'll join you in the weight and clothes Kondo... really need to get to grips with it all. Can make a start with the floordrobe and the packing for Paris.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Wow, some good work going on everywhere! :D

You're all doing so well! :D

My kondo today is just some more till receipts (I do still keep finding them!) And a bag of kids clothing went into the Salvation Army recycling container outside a Co-op.

Pavlov, yesterday I felt truly anti-consumerist. I went to a B&M for the first time. It was on my way elsewhere and had good parking so I went to take a look as I'd heard they were full of bargains. But apart from buying a jar of Duerr's ginger jam at 79p, I found I was unimpressed. And I couldn't believe the amount of meaningless 'gift' stuff that was in there. I suppose it's all quite different if you need certain things, but as I came out I actually thought I'd struggle if someone gave me £100 on condition that I spent it in there. This kondo business really affects your thinking. :D
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have been through the pile of 'bits of staircase' by the garage and put all the ones that will fit in my car into the boot. So tomorrow I plan to go to the tip... Tonight I may burn some more of the burnables...
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    lilian1977 wrote: »
    Morning all

Unfortunately it has put me about £60 in credit which I'm nervous about especially as I no longer have this card - I think what I will do is order a new credit card, buy a T3sco gift card with the overpayment, then cut up and cancel the card once it's at zero balance. At least that way I have food shop funds.

Just call contact CC company and ask them to refund the money into your bank account then close the CC once its done - save the time ad resources of getting a new card which you are going to throw away:o
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Igamogam wrote: »
    Just call contact CC company and ask them to refund the money into your bank account then close the CC once its done - save the time ad resources of getting a new card which you are going to throw away:o

I did that but it sounded much more hassle than it was worth - I am actually quite happy I've cleared it and it's going to force me to be frugal - even more than I was planning to be - before we go on holiday this time next month :)
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    lilian1977 wrote: »
    I did that but it sounded much more hassle than it was worth - I am actually quite happy I've cleared it and it's going to force me to be frugal - even more than I was planning to be - before we go on holiday this time next month :)

Cant understand why the CC would make it so difficult - I have not had a problem in the past when similar has happened. They just want to keep every penny that belongs to us for as long as possible.:mad:

I was thinking more of the waste.......making the card, sending the card to you and then it spending the rest of its life, albeit cut up, in landfill..........sorry my pet hate:(

At least you will be super frugal and the holiday will be fab :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Chieveley
    Chieveley Posts: 418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    [QUOTE=pavlovs_dog;
    I would like to publicly set the end of Sept 2016 as the latest date for kondoing my wardrobe. I've put it off for at least 18 months with the excuse that I was going to declutter some lbs so that stuff actually fits me again. That still hasn't happened (if anything, the reverse is true :o) Too proud to buy clothes for my current size that I don't wish to be, I am in the ludicrous situation of having a wardrobe busting at the seams with clothes I cannot wear. No more! 8 weeks to shift the lbs, or clear out and start again for the weight and shape that I am.

Anyone wish to join me (and hold me accountable :D?[/QUOTE]

I'll try - promised myself I would be 60 kg at age 60 (1st week October) kicks up ar*e needed here (son's wedding at end November also) so 6kg to lose
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Evening All. No kondoing over the weekend as we had a visitor. DH did his charity bike run yesterday and managed to twist his ankle. I was a bit concerned as he trashed it about 20 years ago and still has screws and pins in it. Managed to get him to A&E Justin - he's now wearing an inflatable boot as he's cracked and chipped a bone! Managed to Kondo some receipts while I was waiting for him. I also spoke to one of the lady riders yesterday who makes artificial bouquets so she will be the recipient of my junk jewellery that I sorted today - at least something has gone out!
    I am noticing that even if my Kondoing is going very slowly the amount coming in now is far less so at least I'm not adding to it.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hey Pavlov's dog, I also have a COD full of kondo-folded clothes that are not yet the right size. When I first tackled clothes I did not want to release them because I want to fit in them and release the bigger sizes! As mentioned before I am low carbing, going well and because you never feel hungry I can stick to it.

So yes, we can kondo weight because the results will most definitely spark joy! And then we can shop from our own wardrobes and be really MSEs !!

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family