Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• CM66
    CM66 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just keep the receipt and send it to BA once your home, as long as they are reasonable costs they should pay up
  • elz
    elz Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Sounds positive. I'm hopeful they'll reimburse me as San Francisco hotels aren't cheap! Thank you
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They might cover the cost of travelling to SFO but I would be surprised if they agree to pay for your hotel accommodation since the new flight departs on the same day as your original flight.
  • laticsforlife
    laticsforlife Posts: 1,313 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2018 at 10:39AM
    Options
    MIA-LHR on Sat 05/05/18 (BA206 at 5.10pm)

Flight left roughly on time, but flew for about 4 hours up the coast then turned back to JFK due to electrical issues on the flight such as no overhead lighting in most of the plane or overhead lighting that wouldnt turn off, plus no lights in the toilets limited AC (boiling hot at the back where we were) and no ovens (so no food, unless you were in First Class, of course).

Then 2.5 hours sat on tarmac with no AC and still no lights (even less actually). No fix so at midnight were taken to BA 'Exec' lounge which has 1 coffee machine for 400 and only a few small sandwiches (note they haven't now provided food for all since 5pm).

A further 2 hours in here, before being told flight cancelled (tech and out of hours crew).

Then told no hotels in the Tri-State area, so bussed 1.45hrs to Connecticut Marriott (nice hotel actually). No food provided at all and of course at 4am there was nothing at the hotel till breakfast, but everyone was so tired nobody kicked up a fuss.

Day after was told being bussed back to JFK at 1pm then would be put onto next avail. flight, but having spoken with some yanks, they suggested calling 1-800-Airline - great call as the Brit on that line booked us on an AA flight that early evening and he re-booked our connection to Manchester.

Top and bottom, we arrived in Manchester about 24 hours late.

OK that's the story, now the Compensation question;

Eventually found the right page on BA website (well hidden) and made claim for lunch at JFK (I was very reasonable we only had McD's of about $30), and made a seperate claim on their EU261/04 form (I hadn't realised you could combine EU261 and the lunch claim but I'd already done the lunch one before I saw this).

These were on the system on 07/05/18 and I have 2x reference numbers so they do have them.

How long should I expect them to respond - they say somewhere 10 working days but I don't see why I should wait this long, it's a clear cut Tech issue and is not Extraordinary in any sense (It was more a 28-year old 747 that given the choice I'd send to die in the desert).

NB that aircraft finally took off again 3 days later and even then was 4 hours late!

Also note from my signature below, this isn't my first rodeo in the whole EU261/04 game, I took Thomson to Court a few years back and won that case for a 10 hour delay, hence my bullish attitude to 'I want my Compo now'.
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing! ;)
    Quidco and Topcashback, £4,569
    Shopandscan, £2,840
    Tesco Double The Difference, £2,700
    Thomson EU261/04 Claim, £1,700
    British Airways EU261/04 Claim, EUR1200
  • jpsartre
    Options
    How long should I expect them to respond

I've experienced everything from a few days to 6 weeks.
  • laticsforlife
    laticsforlife Posts: 1,313 Forumite
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    I've experienced everything from a few days to 6 weeks.
    6 weeks, that's pathetic. :eek:

Might give them a call to show I'm not sitting back on this. All assuming I can find the right number and get through to the right person. No doubt BA will make that difficult too.:mad:
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing! ;)
    Quidco and Topcashback, £4,569
    Shopandscan, £2,840
    Tesco Double The Difference, £2,700
    Thomson EU261/04 Claim, £1,700
    British Airways EU261/04 Claim, EUR1200
  • jpsartre
    Options
    While I agree that 6 weeks is too long, I'd give them a couple of weeks to get back to you. I highly doubt you'll speed anything up by contacting them already.
  • Edward_Scott
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has had experience claiming back expenses for a cancelled BA flight?

My GF and I were coming back from Kiev on Monday and our plane was cancelled - front damper failed on landing and they couldn't get the part.

We were sent back into the airport reception to queue up for rescheduling. This was about 6pm and the flight was supposed to have left at 2.30pm.

I knew there was an Ukraine Airlines flight to Gatwick at 8pm. The time was already 6.30pm and the queue was moving so slowly we would not have been able to make the flight.

I asked a member of BA staff if I could go and get the ticket myself and she did say BA would reimburse us. So I went out of the queue and got 2 tickets. A lad behind me was in the front of the BA queue and had been given the same flight for free. We would absolutely not have made that flight had we waited. BA would have put us up in a local hotel for the flight the following day.

We had our hotel at Heathrow booked for that night and the train journey the following day.

What I'm not sure about is whether BA would have had to pay for another hotel and alternative train journey as we would have missed our original hotel and train booking.

Having made a claim to BA, they are saying that as I booked the Ukraine Airline flight myself, they will not reimburse my expenses. If they would have had to pay for train tickets and Heathrow hotel - and maybe a days' loss of earnings?? then my actions saved them more than the tickets at £260 - we also got a taxi from Gatwick to our hotel in Heathrow at £96.

To add, the fixed compensation is £350 (400 euros) each and as my expenses were about £356 we're not really going to be out of pocket so I'm not overly upset. But it is a irksome that some got the flight for free and we didn't yet by doing so saved grief for both us and BA.
  • jpsartre
    Options

What I'm not sure about is whether BA would have had to pay for another hotel and alternative train journey as we would have missed our original hotel and train booking.

They wouldn't. Their obligations would have ended once you arrived in Heathrow. If you were to take legal action I think you have a strong to get reimbursed the flight you purchased.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You should either get a full refund of your original BA flight and compensation under reg 261/2004. Or BA should reimburse you the costs of the new flight. And the compensation for the cancelled flight.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport