• n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wendy64 wrote: »
    No witness is pedestrian who saw the lorry flash to let me out

He flashed to let you know he was there, what happened next was down to you.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

You must really enjoy this, eh? ;)

I doubt anybody else will think this is true (in the circumstances described thus far in the thread) ... it's a lorry in very slow moving traffic - even Mr. Magoo would be able to see it without the lorry driver flashing the lights. :rotfl:
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    n217970 wrote: »

Possibly, possibly not. Since insurance decisions don't set any precedence.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DoaM wrote: »
    You must really enjoy this, eh? ;)

I doubt anybody else will think this is true (in the circumstances described thus far in the thread) ... it's a lorry in very slow moving traffic - even Mr. Magoo would be able to see it without the lorry driver flashing the lights. :rotfl:

Whether he enjoys it is irrelevant - he is right.

The only legal meaning of flashing lights is to alert road users to the vehicle's presence.

The witness can confirm that the lights flashed, but he cannot know the driver's intent.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 March 2018 at 6:41AM

I had someone to that to me the other day, main road was quiet, I was waiting to turn right from side street, vehicle ftom right was indicating right to come into side street. Was flashing me (let me know they were). I just waited, they were getting annoyed as their turn was tight with me waiting. I thought I don't care it's your right of your way, I'm not faling for it, you can make it!! What seemed like forever they finally turned right.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Car_54 wrote: »

The only legal meaning of flashing lights is to alert road users to the vehicle's presence.

The witness can confirm that the lights flashed, but he cannot know the driver's intent.

Agree. However, as they did not collide with the lorry, I would suggest it was irrelevant. They had correctly interpreted that the lorry driver had stopped and had alerted the driver to its (stationary) presence.

FWIW, advanced driving basically says don't flash your lights, simply sit still and allow drivers to come to their own conclusion as to whether it is safe to emerge.

I'm pretty mean and very reluctant to do anything that contradicts road priorities. My pet hate is people who "kindly" let you out when there is nothing else around (e.g. right turners who stop short of the junction frantically waving at you when they could have driven straight round and then there would be no conflict) - it delays both drivers. They never get an acknowledgement from me.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »

I believe the relevance isn't that you can't know the drivers intent.
    Its that another driver flashing/waving you out you doesn't give you priority. The onus is still on you to ensure you can do so safely.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    I'm pretty mean and very reluctant to do anything that contradicts road priorities. My pet hate is people who "kindly" let you out when there is nothing else around (e.g. right turners who stop short of the junction frantically waving at you when they could have driven straight round and then there would be no conflict) - it delays both drivers. They never get an acknowledgement from me.

Yes this also, always happen as above, same street too always.

Sometimes they sit there waiting to turn right, and just looked you, then get annoyed "yes what do you want?!" I think. Often as well you can't see their hands waving.

Other ones annoy are the ones that flash you to warn of a speed camera ahead, I pulled over once thinking there was something wrong with my car as 3 drivers flashed me!!:mad:
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 March 2018 at 8:41AM
    The overtaking car, had to travel the length of the lorry in order to be in collision with OP's car.

It was on the "wrong" side of the road, turning across the path of the OP as struck front wing whilst entering the 'lane'. Therefore the collision happened before OP had completed their manoevre to join the traffic in front of the lorry on other side of road.

Loads of time and visual space for both of them to stop and avoid the accident.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure