Better credit at Old Address - Need Help!

My brother has an issue where his credit rating is abysmal at his new address, his old/parents address is fine. Before you all scream "Check his report", here is what we have tried so far and what his problems are:

1. Checking his report, he has a default on there (not his fault, his ex-partner took out Virgin at their address, went into his name at the location, she was paying the bill and failed to make payments for 5 months because she didn't agree with a price increase. It's fallen onto his credit report as failure to pay. We have tried to request this be removed with an explaination but they have declined to remove this as the rented property was in his name.

2. Past financial dependents/links - We have requested a previous partner be removed, this is currently being completed as she was in debt, my brother is financially sound.

3. Credit card history, I have set him up with a credit card to rebuild his credit, but this has had to be taken out at his parents address, he cannot get one at his rented address.

4. Current account history, his Current Account is not showing online in his list of accounts. We have tried several credit agencies including the MSE Club and this is not being included. We have contacted Experian, they have advised that because his account is older than 1996 they are unable to get this added as it's not found - only records after 1999 can be found because of historical records.

5. He has another current account on there but this is a simple account which doesn't have his main income going to it.

No other accounts, or credit assisting accounts are found / listed.

His report says that he cannot improve his report because he has more outgoings that income and this is obviously not true.

Please can someone shed some light on what he can do!!! I have tried everything I can to help him, accounts wise, credit history wise etc, but without going to his bank and requesting change of account I don't see what he can do? Is that even a possibility?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    What is the end goal here, why is his credit so important to him, is he looking to get a house/mortgage or what ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • He's looking to move on and get a mortgage for a house for a fresh start.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Forget about the idea of fault for now, is the record accurate?

If his ex fraudulently used his name on an account then you need to get the police involved. It is not an option just to claim that someone else did it to the credit reference agency and assume that they will believe it.

Why does his report show more outgoings than income?
  • His primary current account isn't showing on his credit report. Therefore this isn't showing any reported income/expenditure/good stead against his credit profile/history.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    His primary current account isn't showing on his credit report. Therefore this isn't showing any reported income/expenditure/good stead against his credit profile/history.

It won't. Bank accounts balances don't show on credit reports. The clue is in the name - credit report, a report on the credit you have and your repayment history. Unless he is offered and is using an overdraft then on his current account he isn't using any credit hence it is not reported other than existing. The current balance won't be reported.

Is he on the electoral roll at his current address? This could be the issue. Your credit file is linked to you, not your address so there could be someone living there who is even bankrupt and as long as you had no financial links it would have no effect on your credit file. He had better credit at his old address because he didn't have 5 months of not paying his Virgin bill on it. So the reason he has bad credit at his current address is because of that debt.
  • Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it. I understand about the balances, apologies, I didn't work it brilliantly in my question/reply. It should at least show his accounts in there and that they are active, He is on the ER and this is at his current rented address, when he gets turned down for a mobile contract, he will ask them to run the same check at our parents address and then it goes through ok. His financial inks are currently being removed so I hope this will help. Any other ideas?
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post

3. Credit card history, I have set him up with a credit card to rebuild his credit, but this has had to be taken out at his parents address, he cannot get one at his rented address.

Big mistake. This will cause more problems - I would try and get this changed to his correct address as a matter of urgency.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The Virgin thing doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. Utilities have a named account holder. If his ex took it out it shouldn't default to him. If she took it out in his name then he could report it to action fraud, then raise a formal complaint with Virgin.
  • My brother has an issue where his credit rating is abysmal at his new address, his old/parents address is fine. Before you all scream "Check his report", here is what we have tried so far and what his problems are:

1. Checking his report, he has a default on there (not his fault, his ex-partner took out Virgin at their address, went into his name at the location, she was paying the bill and failed to make payments for 5 months because she didn't agree with a price increase. It's fallen onto his credit report as failure to pay. We have tried to request this be removed with an explaination but they have declined to remove this as the rented property was in his name.
    Then you need to contract the Fraud Team at Virgin and your bank etc. and get it marked as fraud. You can then dispute it being removed

2. Past financial dependents/links - We have requested a previous partner be removed, this is currently being completed as she was in debt, my brother is financially sound.
    That will affect him, though not really by a great deal

So the address given is not the correct contract address. You might want to check the T's and C's on the card about supplying incorrect information

4. Current account history, his Current Account is not showing online in his list of accounts. We have tried several credit agencies including the MSE Club and this is not being included. We have contacted Experian, they have advised that because his account is older than 1996 they are unable to get this added as it's not found - only records after 1999 can be found because of historical records.
    Current Accounts won't show balances etc. unless there is an overdraft applied.

5. He has another current account on there but this is a simple account which doesn't have his main income going to it.
    This makes no odds to ones credit worthiness

No other accounts, or credit assisting accounts are found / listed.

His report says that he cannot improve his report because he has more outgoings that income and this is obviously not true.
    What report have you checked? Experian? Equifax? CallCredit? What salary did you enter upon signing up for the report?

Please can someone shed some light on what he can do!!! I have tried everything I can to help him, accounts wise, credit history wise etc, but without going to his bank and requesting change of account I don't see what he can do? Is that even a possibility?

Thanks in advance for your help!

There is no such thing as a credit rating. Or a credit score. If he has just moved then he needs to make sure he is on the ER - this can take some time to update with the CRA's
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure