how are just eat getting away with robbery?

Comments

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    usefulmale wrote: »
    I really don't understand why a third-party is needed at all.

Just order direct from the takeaway.

A lot of, (if not most?), takeaway don't take card payment, even if you are collecting from the shop let alone if delivering to the door. So it can be more convenient to use Just Eat or a similar service if you don't have the cash handy.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    eddddy wrote: »
    Just to add another angle to this...

Just Eat offer a service, and to do this, they employ people (administrators, programmers etc) and they have to buy/rent computer servers etc.

Just Eat need to earn income to make the business viable. The way they have chosen to do this is to charge the restaurant about 12% of the order value and charge the consumer 50p.

Perhaps you think that Just Eat should charge the restaurant that extra 50p instead of the consumer.

In order to continue making their income, that would put pressure on the restaurants to increase their prices.

So the net result would be that the 50p service charge disappears, but the price of the food increases instead.

Edit to add...

Perhaps a future development will be that restaurants start offering a 12% discount for orders that don't come via Just Eat (and you won't have to pay the 50p either).

You do realise that just eat takes 20% of the order off for their fee already?!

In certain areas I have noticed smaller online companies popping up and the ones I used Just Eat for when travelling all text me saying they stopped using Just Eat because of the fees and now offer 10-20% off ordering with another company, sometimes even with free delivery (that used to be up to £2) none charge service charge.

Sadly in my town only 3 take aways use these smaller firms

Just Eat can't be doing badly for themselves considering they bought out their major competitor!

Every take away I have seen use Just Eat over the years has raised prices and lowered portions even common to see takeaways give smaller portions to Just Eat customers, one even in past rang me direct and said cancel just eat order and they will give me it £2 cheaper and give me free bottle of drink!
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Every take away I have seen use Just Eat over the years has raised prices and lowered portions even common to see takeaways give smaller portions to Just Eat customers, one even in past rang me direct and said cancel just eat order and they will give me it £2 cheaper and give me free bottle of drink!

To be fair though most portion sizes are enormous and enough for 2 (especially when it comes to chinese takeaway). I'd actually like to see them offering smaller portions - like most chip shops here do for pensioners (small fish, half portion of chips).

Also, I believe most of the businesses on just eat don't have their own websites. Not that I like just east, just pointing out they weren't just collecting orders & payments for the business. The costs involved in running their own website & collecting their own payments + admin costs probably work out around the same as what just eat are charging.

While consumers have the benefit of laws protecting us (sometimes from our own stupidity), a business isn't usually afforded the same luxury. While our card fees were first capped and then prohibited, a business can still be charged several %.

Although personally I think the ban on card fees is due to the powers that be wanting to push to a cashless society so they can punish us for saving or spending (depending on what they want to promote/discourage at the time) in order to better manipulate the economy.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    To be fair though most portion sizes are enormous and enough for 2 (especially when it comes to chinese takeaway). I'd actually like to see them offering smaller portions - like most chip shops here do for pensioners (small fish, half portion of chips).

Also, I believe most of the businesses on just eat don't have their own websites. Not that I like just east, just pointing out they weren't just collecting orders & payments for the business. The costs involved in running their own website & collecting their own payments + admin costs probably work out around the same as what just eat are charging.

While consumers have the benefit of laws protecting us (sometimes from our own stupidity), a business isn't usually afforded the same luxury. While our card fees were first capped and then prohibited, a business can still be charged several %.

Although personally I think the ban on card fees is due to the powers that be wanting to push to a cashless society so they can punish us for saving or spending (depending on what they want to promote/discourage at the time) in order to better manipulate the economy.

Everywheres different, I have seen portion sizes almost everywhere shrink, everywhere around here you get more like a kids size portion if you order things.

Think of the portion of chips with a burger being like the small/medium size you get at McDonalds but paying like £4-£5 for this meal.

And no its not their own websites but smaller third party ones, some specifically state no fees to the take away, the one my regular uses charges a flat rate of £1000 a month (and doesn't charge customers service charge) and gives customers 10% discount on non meals.

And this place is good to regulars too giving them larger portions.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Everywheres different, I have seen portion sizes almost everywhere shrink, everywhere around here you get more like a kids size portion if you order things.

Think of the portion of chips with a burger being like the small/medium size you get at McDonalds but paying like £4-£5 for this meal.

And no its not their own websites but smaller third party ones, some specifically state no fees to the take away, the one my regular uses charges a flat rate of £1000 a month (and doesn't charge customers service charge) and gives customers 10% discount on non meals.

And this place is good to regulars too giving them larger portions.

Perhaps you need to consider what is an appropriate portion size, if you consider McDonalds portion sizes to be kids size!
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Perhaps you need to consider what is an appropriate portion size, if you consider McDonalds portion sizes to be kids size!

I agree with them as I don't think Mcdonalds portions are that generous. For the price you pay I think the food portions are a bit stingy!
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    A lot of, (if not most?), takeaway don't take card payment, even if you are collecting from the shop let alone if delivering to the door. So it can be more convenient to use Just Eat or a similar service if you don't have the cash handy.

Also the fact one app can give you access to well over a hundred takeaways and menu's is very convenient!
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Greta_Sharbo Posts: 349 Forumite
    And you can get cashback if you want - only pennies but better than nowt!
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite

I would have thought that the takeaways could get the Paypal card reader, for instance. They seem to take only 2.75% of the transaction, rather than the 10-20% that JustEat appear to take.
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    Also the fact one app can give you access to well over a hundred takeaways and menu's is very convenient!

Well, I don't know about your area but we get menus posted every week from every takeaway within a 10 mile radius.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    usefulmale wrote: »
    I would have thought that the takeaways could get the Paypal card reader, for instance. They seem to take only 2.75% of the transaction, rather than the 10-20% that JustEat appear to take.

They probable could, but none of the Indian or Chinese takeaways around here take card or have online ordering of their own.

I won't speculate as to why that may be ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure