PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What would put you off a house...?

Comments

• dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    What's wrong with bungalows???? :)

Having lived in the US for many years, where single-storey houses are not only common but the norm, I was surprised at the amount of distaste a lot of people show in the UK to bungalows. I've seen almost a sneering snobbery towards them at times.

I owned two "brick ranches" (essentially bungalows) in NC and TN and loved both of them. They just had a great flow when moving around inside, and when moving from inside to the garden.

They seem to be associated with being old here, I suppose because of the single-level design. I have noticed when searching for houses that they often also have less floor space and a smaller garden than many two-storey houses, which for me is more of an issue than being single-storey per se.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    dunroving wrote: »
    Having lived in the US for many years, where single-storey houses are not only common but the norm, I was surprised at the amount of distaste a lot of people show in the UK to bungalows. I've seen almost a sneering snobbery towards them at times.

They seem to be associated with being old here..

I can't claim to be young. :rotfl:

In this area, there are many similar places to ours, built after the War to give young farmers a leg up, so 'old folk' isn't necessarily what comes to mind here.

For example, here's one, but they're a few years further on with the garden landscaping than we are!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61001107.html
  • I don't have that many dealbreakers.

But there are some things that stop me dead:
    • Shared access - just too many opportunities for drawn-out, annoying problems
    • Drive sloping steeply towards the house - water collection, can't get off it in winter, etc.
    • Bizarre room access - e.g. bathroom only accessible through bedroom
    • Any amount or area of concrete in the garden - it's a huge pain in the bum to remove

There's another list of things that, whilst not dealbreakers in their own right, go in the "negative" column:
    • Open-plan kitchen/dining/living areas. Sometimes curry smells need to stay in the kitchen!
    • Steps/changes of level on a single floor
    • Stairs in the living room
    • any loft/dormer access that doesn't have proper stairs - too old for ladders and that sort of thing :)
    • Rendered/pebble-dashed exterior walls. I prefer the look of brickwork.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    "Over-priced" is the biggest deal breaker for people nowadays IMO.
  • "Over-priced" is the biggest deal breaker for people nowadays IMO.
    surprise surprise!!!
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    surprise surprise!!!

No, not really a surprise, many predicted this would happen ;)
  • aliby21
    aliby21 Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 March 2018 at 3:53PM
    Newly done up kitchen/bathroom. Inevitably won't be what I would like, but I couldn't justify ripping out. In fact any sort of newly done up would put me off.

On the other hand, neglect would also put me off! Dirt, minor things obviously not fixed, I'd think there was going to be a lot else wrong

Extensions at the back turning some original rooms into internal gloomy windowless boxes.

Garden that is mostly concrete

Another one who would be put off by open plan

En suite. I realise i am likely to be in a minority here, but really don't like them. Or any version of too many loos to clean.

Stairs ending by the front door, so you have to walk across the doormat in your slippers. Though the house I've now bought has just this, so I guess if everything else is right being put off by something doesn't mean it is a complete deal breaker.
  • Akahotpot
    Akahotpot Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Still waiting to move in to my new house but

My search criteria changed quite a lot as I viewed different properties
    Stated off wanting a couch house or 2 bed flat with garage very low maintenance inc outside
    I,m a widowed man with motorbikes so I need a garage/workshop shed or the space to build one
    I,ve ended up buying a semi detached 1997 2 bed house
    The things that I realised I actually wanted was
    Freehold
    A driveway
    A conservatory
    A rear garden that can host both a garage and a seating area
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    aliby21 wrote: »
    Newly done up kitchen/bathroom. Inevitably won't be what I would like, but I couldn't justify ripping out. In fact any sort of newly done up would put me off.

It's strange, but this bothers me too. It shouldn't, but it does. If I see a house on Rightmove with a 90s kitchen I immediately think "i'd rip that out" but when I see a new kitchen that isn't to my taste my first reaction is "oh that's a shame" - almost like I can't rip it out because it's new, therefore wouldn't consider it. Which is strange, because ultimately if the price is right, it shouldn't make a difference whether I rip out a 20 year old kitchen or a 6month old one, but psychologically I tell myself the latter can't happen!
  • LadyL2013 wrote: »

Downstairs bathroom only. Pain having to go downstairs in the middle of the night and traipse downstairs and back up to have a shower.

On street parking if the street is always busy for obvious reasons.

On a main road. Death trap for the cat.

Just goes to prove how much personal preferences come into it.

I've read this - and lots of others going "Parking.....parking....parking" and the requirements you are bringing up.

But - personally - parking is very much lower on my list of priorities (don't have a car and my visitors parking is their responsibility imo). So - ideally - parking would be ok for my visitors - but I am going to deal with my own personal requirements first.

Cat - okay...I like cats...but I'm not sure whether I'll ever actually get one personally....so don't have to take that into account (can fully understand if Puss is a member of the family....).

Downstairs bathroom - not a big deal for me personally and would barely register. Ideally I'd like an en suite bathroom for my bedroom and A.N.Other bathroom somewhere or other in the house. But it's not a big deal to me personally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure