Does community speed watch scheme work

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Deastons wrote: »
    After seeing this thread, I did a bit of research and found out that our village has a community speed watch.

Our village is 30mph, but I would estimate the average speed of drivers to be 40-45mph. I regularly get overtaken when driving home. But through the night, cars go through at 50-60mph+.

I have my training next week and, as someone who often doesn't finish work until after midnight, I'm going to enjoy then going out and recording some speeds.

That’s not going to happen.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    After seeing this thread, I did a bit of research and found out that our village has a community speed watch.
    If it took research to discover, can I suggest they're not particularly visible, which means not particularly effective?
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    AdrianC wrote: »
    If it took research to discover, can I suggest they're not particularly visible, which means not particularly effective?

Because they need more volunteers, which is why I volunteered.

To be fair, I've only lived in this village since November, so it's not unreasonable that I'd not have seen them yet.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Because they need more volunteers, which is why I volunteered.

To be fair, I've only lived in this village since November, so it's not unreasonable that I'd not have seen them yet.

There’s probably a simple reason why you haven’t see them.
  • The point I was trying to make is that a 20mph limit could benefit the whole village. I don't know why the lower limit wasn't extended to the school, maybe it should be, but trips on foot to the school will (at least partially) now be made on a road with a 20mph not 30mph limit. Perhaps the OP (with local knowledge) could shed some more light on the matter?
    The road is 30mph and most people exceed the speed limit but I don't know how big the problem is but I think it's from the residents when they are taking the kids to school or coming home from work.
    6e269w.jpg
  • Tarambor wrote: »
    I remember reading a story about a village where they'd campaigned for years for a speed camera and once they got one it was mostly the villagers who campaigned for it who were caught speeding.

Ha ha, I'm an ex traffic cop and went to one location due to a letter from a resident. Guess who was the first person I stopped for speeding?:rotfl:

He took the ticket graciously but a little sheepish!
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It is certainly the case that locals are as bad at speeding as other people. Our neighbourhood police reckoned that was the case.

I reckon they work in two ways:

1) If the driver is half aware, they are conscious of a speed camera being used and it makes them think about their speed.

2) Ditto, the letter makes them sensitive to speeding in that area, especially as you can't simply ignore the yellow coat up the road.

However, I am not sure what instigates the mindset change from "self-important, must save every second I can behind the wheel" to "Do you know what? This speeding is a waste of effort." I've made that transition myself, and it was a combination of being caught a handful of times over 30 years (yet, the first time my response was definitely annoyance that the time I was caught it was trivial in comparison to my normal pace!) and I think what changed me more was the realisation that my driving had got sloppy and I was making unnecessary mistakes - I'd have some sort of unpleasant but unnecessary interaction most long journeys.

So speeding is just one side of an attitude to driving where you hold yourself as more important than anyone else on the road - on a road full of clones of yourself. Once you realise that you aren't psychic and don't really know the evil intentions of every other road user conspiring against you, trying to make your life hell, then things become a lot easier.

I guess my point is, they help in putting the thought into your head that your driving is being judged and found wanting, but there has to be a willingness to moderate your behaviour. Unfortunately, the typical response seems more often to be to declaim the injustice of being checked for going to fast and how unfair and unreasonable speed limits are.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Traffic lights.

It's an A road and a main holiday route. Highways have been asked and will not fit them, nor will they give us a pedestrian crossing. As I stated, there is a series of sharp bends through and at either end of the village, some hidden.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Old codgers and NIMBYs it gets better.:T

We are not NIMBY's and do not object to the new homes: we welcome new residents. It is a village with a thriving population of all ages, with a large Junior School and a popular, award-winning Nursery.

What we (young and old) object to, is the placing of an exit road from those homes, on the crown of a sharp bed, with one bus stop nearby (within 5 metres) and another across the road. There are accidents waiting to happen and the Council Highways could not see it: they would not even visit the scene.

I wish people who post here would not make asinine comments regarding an area and a situation they do not know and have not seen.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Robisere wrote: »
    [B7It's an A road and a main holiday route. [/B]Highways have been asked and will not fit them, nor will they give us a pedestrian crossing. As I stated, there is a series of sharp bends through and at either end of the village, some hidden.

Sorry, thought you said it was through the village and therefore subject to a 30 mph speed limit. They’ll be forced to do something with the accidents start happening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure