PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cash Buyer (FTB) - what searches necessary?

I am a first time buyer and will be paying cash for the freehold property I'm buying.
The conveyancer has sent me a list of search options: first includes LA search, drainage, enviro, coal, flood and ground stability among other things @ £210. The second is 'first title, no search, chancel insurance' @ £17.50.

I'm not mean but do I really need all those in the first package? I've already done my own checks re. planning applications, water company etc. It's in a mining area but the houses are over 70 years old and no reports of subsidence/cracked brickwork in the area at all.

Anyone else paid cash and not bothered with the first lot of searches?

Comments

• RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Depends on how risk averse you are
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Well, I'm quite confident that I can do my own research regarding what is included in the first package. In fact, I'd already done that prior to making an offer on the property.

I think even with all these searches, things can go wrong. I'm sure solicitors don't have the ability to predict the future any more than I do.
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    They aren't predicting the future they are searching EA and other local authority departments records, of which they will provide a summary report for you. £210 is worth that, unless you have time on your hands and contacts in the EA.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Only you can decide which searches you want. They each provide information. Whether it is information you want /need is up to you.

The question is whether you understand what information each search provides. If you do, then you are in a position to choose. If you don't, you need to find out.

https://www.homewardlegal.co.uk/blog/what-are-property-searches
  • Go with package 1. The last thing you want to find out just after completion is that there is something that will negatively impact on the house price or make you not want to live there shortly after exchange or completion.

For such a small amount (possibly less than 1% of the cost of the property) it is a sound investment.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Margot123
    What has confused me is that they state the first package is only required if taking out a mortgage.

There again, if a lender requires those searches it is all about risk.

As you say £210 is worth that, especially when it such a big purchase.
  • Margot123
    OK, thanks for your help.

I'm persuaded to go with package 1 for the sake of a couple of hundred quid.
    Don't even know why I was questioning it TBH.
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375
    First Post
    Forumite
    I've just signed our documents this week for purchase. Went to see solicitor in person and she showed us the search results papers. Tbh although we consider ourselves to be quite good researchers we wouldn't have had a clue what we were looking at. She actually showed us a couple of points of concern (nothing major) that we'd have surely missed. £210 and the solicitor to interpret - totally worth it
  • Searches are worth it. We’ve searched a lot on our own so we know about planning applications and things to do with flooding but it also brings up a lot of other points that are worth noting.
    Our searches have revealed a potential risk of land contamination do to the adjacent car repair garage. It’s a potential risk we can get indemnity insurance for to cover possible future costs but also it’s highlighted the risk before purchasing. We’re investigating further with our local authority to see if it is a genuine risk or not. But without those searches we could have bought the house, had a remediation notice slapped on the doorsteps and potentially be liable for the huge costs. Not to mention possible health risks. So £220 search fees are worth it.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Even if you're prepared to take risks about the unknown, the searches will tell you what would have appeared if a mortgage lender had wanted them - which will reduce the potential for surprises when you sell (or want mortgage funding) and then discover there's an old mineshaft or contamination affecting the property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure