The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Isn't it Mothering Sunday next Sunday?
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Verbatim wrote: »
    Isn't it Mothering Sunday next Sunday?

Yes, it is - sorry, I'm so tired, I don't know my ar$3 from my elbow at the minute. Can't think why I thought it was this Sunday - all the high profile tat in the shops probably :) Wonder what DH can conjour up for next week then? :rotfl:

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Good Evening :hello:

Arrgh, who sapped my energy? Why am i so bushed?

Irony of irony - I've had pizza for tea :o Not even freshly made pizza, it was a couple of slices outta the freezer :o DH will have his when he's finished putting BG to bed (this usually takes some time, and then some more time as DH very often falls asleep too........ :rotfl::eek:)

I've written a very important (to me) 'personal' letter this afternoon. And I've sorted out some pics, you'll never guess of whom....... ;) to send to a good and supportive friend. So they are both ready to post tomorrow, although I'll have to check that the pictures won't exceed the normal post rate, and get the envelope checked for 'thickness' & weight etc.

I have benefitted from generous support from female friends just recently, and for that I remain utterly, utterly grateful. I'm not, by nature, a 'bloke-basher' - I think chaps get things wrong, I think gals get things wrong - it's not about gender. But I do think, that when it works, the 'sisterhood' is a powerful thing. And I hope very much that a chap could say that the 'brotherhood' is equally supportive. But I've never quite felt the depth of support from blokes that I have from my gal pals. Even DH, who is wonderful, kind, supportive and I think, quite a feminist at heart, doesn't always 'get' what is irking me, where as a gal pal will immediately and without hesitation, say. 'OMG - I know just what you mean.......' :rotfl:

One of my favourite bloggers is back blogging :j I really thought that she had given up for good. But it appears that she misses the carthartic nature of her blog and has made 3 tentative return posts, so fingers crossed that she finds her mojo and keeps writing.

I have sorted out my household accounts. I'm up-to-date, but £9 out on my 'non-food' budget - ie the book says I should have X, but the envelope only has Y in it. Not too sure what has gone wrong there, and can't think of one purchase that has put it out of kilter. It'll be me that has forgotten something, but I can't imagine what. We - in common with everyone else - have had raised water bills and council tax bills. Whilst the amounts 'notionally' are small(ish), their combined impact - with things such as rising petrol prices, rising prices of some foodstuffs (or lack of bargains?) means that wage-increases (for which we were actually very grateful) have been nullified. Which is a shame.

It would be nice to just get ahead for once.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

My husband

My Friends

My 'Family' ;)

Ta for reading. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Good Evening :hello:

NSD today, as we only ventured out to the post box to post one letter. The weather couldn't decide if it was going to do 'pants' or 'spring-like for the equinox'. A day of 2 halves, definitely.

Tea this evening used up the 2 YS'd aubergines from m&$, and I made Cambodian Aubergine curry (http://ao.com/life/food-drink/far-east-eats-cambodian-aubergine-curry/). I used lemon, rather than lime, but had everything else in to make the curry from scratch :j Picture here;

005_zpsouvrgzkf.jpg

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

every day that I get to spend with Baby Greying

the NHS

A long overdue coffee date with a mum chum

Ta for popping in, reading and joining in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Looks tasty :) Thanks for sharing your tea, as always xx

I made curry last night :j Was inspired by some coriander in @ldi - don't usually buy fresh herbs but I've never been able to grow coriander and I LOVE it and we never have it, and it was only 69p, and I'd have happily spent more on a mars bar, and I have no idea why I'm even trying to justify spending 69p to you :o :rotfl:

Anyway, made a lovely curry based on Jack Monroe's vegetable masala (but with so many substitutions it was barely recognisable) and a green bean side dish with some cumin and black pepper seeds :D (I'd been clearing out the spice cupboard... I brought both with me when I moved in properly in 2007...). Most tasty, and I also treated us to a tiny 49p (I think) tub of mango chutney, and some pre-cooked poppadums from HB. Wouldn't normally do that, but it was the sort of day we'd normally look at each other and decide to get a takeaway so I me spending a grand total of about £3 extra was a bargain :money:

Anyway, the point to my story (finally) was that I cooked the darn curry, served it up, and we'd got half way through eating it... before I remembered the coriander... :rotfl: :rotfl: :D
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Oh Cheery. That sounds so typical of me. I can't laugh out loud as I'm in bed and don't want to alarm my dh but I'm chuckling silently.
    So what will you cook to use the coriander?
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Good Morning :hello:

Ha ha Cheery - how many times have I done that with ingredients that I have specifically bought?! There is the equivalent mrL version of that coriander in my dish - 69p too. Cheapest price outside of mrT's that sell it in bunches, although way dearer than asian supermarkets :( Can't wait til nearer summer and to stock up on 4 bunches for £1. Coriander is quite hard to grow - it bolts easily. But you do have the advantage of getting the roots, where the real flavour is - although if you've heavy soil, they're difficult to get lovely and clean for culinary purposes.

I forsee alot of carrot and coriander soup in your lunch future :D

We're having soup for tea tonight - butterbean and thyme if I remember to pick up another tin of butter beans in HB. I'll try and do some sort of flat bread accompaniment too.

TV guide day. And DH has been tasked with picking up some bits from mrAl. I shouldn't have tried to claim a NSD yesterday - whilst I spent nothing, DH did pick up bits (several of them unnecessary :() from mrL. So we did spend on food items.

Right, best shift a tail feather. I've managed a shower, getting dressed and a coffee, but no breakfast. Shame on me!

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    :rotfl::rotfl: Yes another one who's done that many, many times Cheery!

Greying - you've reminded me of the T's bunched coriander now - might need to get some of that soonest! While our "home" T's doesn't do them, my "work" one does - and very nice they are too - I thought one of the ethnic supermarkets down the road had a better bargain at 2 bunches for £1 but they didn't stay fresh anything like as long.

Seeing your falafel pics reminded me too - we had the Jack Monroe carrot & kidney bean burger mix (only with parsnip instead of carrot!) at the weekend and whenever I make that I shape it into essentially falafels too - a really nice twist on a theme. :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • EH I love making different shape or size burgers/sliders or 'ba11s'. Very easy to do, but makes things seem a little different somehow.

Well, i'm just back from an impromptu lunch with someone who I admire greatly. We had a good auld chin-wag, 2 hours flew. Baby Greying behaved impeccably and seemed to enjoy themselves as much as we did :D Mind, I ate more than I normally do, so I'm not so sure I need tea now :rotfl: Probably change my mind by 6 o'clock though :D

I bought lunch for us both and some flowers for my friend, but this is no-quibble spending. I don't go out/eat out alot, so when I do, I like to not have to think about the cost of things. And luckily I don't live around the corner from the ritz.... :eek::rotfl:

i picked up 3 avocados (not huge, but haas I think) for £1 from the overpriced on somethings greengrocers. So will incorporate them into the mealplan later in the week. It said 'ripe', but I'm not overly sure that they are instantly eatable......

I didn't get the TV guide, but got everything else on my list - a lady in M&$ very kindly insisted that i go before her in the queue, which was most kind and appreciated.

Walking back, i lost myself for 5 minutes (BG was asleep) watching 2 little long-tailed t1ts in a tree - they are such industrious little birds - don't stay still and tweet to each other the entire time. Beautiful markings on them too. Free entertainment - what's not to love? :rotfl:

Right, play time with BG and then before you know it, it will be tea time and DH will be home :D

Ta for popping in. Very, very much appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Good Morning :hello:

Well, I did change my mind about wanting some tea, so we had soup, and I'm :j because finally, I have been able to find the recipe (it's a Lyndsey Bareham one), on the web to be able to pass on to you. If you can find reasonably priced butter beans - I get mine from HB, 29p a tin - then this is quite a thrifty dish. Butterbean & thyme soup. Picture here;

003_zps3nmyziso.jpg

I put nigella seed and paprika flakes in the flatbreads. The soup does benefit from the lemon juice - prinks it up nicely. And I always put the thyme in sparingly (i use dried), as overdone, it turns any dish to mouthwash _pale_

I know that I've nowt on the meal planner for today nor tomorrow, so first task this morning is to come up with summat that utilises what I have. I'm hopeful the avocados will play ball for tomorrow's teas.

If we venture out today, I've the TV guide to get.

Right, sufficient wittering from me.

Ta for popping in, appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure