Police ringing my doorbell when visiting my neighbour

Comments

• gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks everyone - it is absolutely not urgent at all, this is an ongoing family issue (not criminal).

My bell and the bell of person they want are clearly marked. Neighbour upstairs is normally expecting them/waiting for them to turn up but it takes maybe a minute to get down from second floor and they wait maybe 5 sec and ring my doorbell.

There was 5 of them today, the Police that is.

I do not suppose it will go on forever but rather gets sorted at some point, stop and then start again as it does.

Guess I need to find out which station are they coming from and put a complaint in if this continues.

I do not want to be involved in any of this and I do not want to be disturbed - I am not a receptionist for the flats here.

Thanks for replies
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Door bell rings.
    You walk to the hallway to see who it is.
    You can tell it is the police again, so you walk back to your flat.
    Police wait for intended person to actually come down and open the door.

Do that often enough and the police will stop ringing your bell. Problem solved?
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Have you rung the station to complain about being disturbed?
    I would do that & explain there is a way of contacting the person they want to see without the need to ring your doorbell.

Ring the 'station' ????
    You are having a laugh...........
    Dixon of Dock Green days are long gone.
    :p:p
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks everyone - it is absolutely not urgent at all, this is an ongoing family issue (not criminal).

If it's not criminal then I would be complaining about the waste of police resources sending 5 officers at a time.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Get an extra key cut for the communal door and give it to them
    Why should the OP go to that trouble and expense (OK, I know it's not a massive amount) for something that is nothing at all to do with them?
    Ring the 'station' ????
    You are having a laugh...........
    Dixon of Dock Green days are long gone.
    :p:p
    No, I'm not having a laugh.
    We have - in our village - a local police station.
    If we didn't, I'd ring 101.
    When should I use 101?

You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response. For example, if:
    • Your car has been stolen
    • Your property has been damaged
    • You suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood
    Or to:
    • Give the police information about crime in your area
    • Speak to the police about a general enquiry
    You should always call 999 when it is an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.
    https://www.police.uk/contact/101/

On that link, there is a 'find your neighbourhood'.
    If the OP puts in his/her postcode, it should give an email address.

See, sometimes, instead of trying to appear smart, it pays to think about things. ;)
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Lord_Baltimore Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    I would have no problem assisting the police or helping a hard of hearing neighbour. It seems the community-spirited thing to do. Also, I wouldn't want to risk that someone could be in distress and couldn't get help because I get irked when my doorbell rings.

Am I just too nice for my own good? :D
    Mornië utulië
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I would have no problem assisting the police or helping a hard of hearing neighbour. It seems the community-spirited thing to do. Also, I wouldn't want to risk that someone could be in distress and couldn't get help because I get irked when my doorbell rings.

Am I just too nice for my own good? :D
    If the police used the correct bell why would that mean a risk of distress to the hard-of-hearing person?
    Of course, they're getting help - 5 police officers are coming through the door.

It's not about assisting the police or helping a hard of hearing neighbour or even being nice.
    The police have a perfectly good way of getting access to this person without disturbing the OP - they're just not using it.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Too full of their own self importance to wait. If its not a criminal matter then why on earth so many officers? Must be the chief super's uncle or something. Ignore your bell unless your expecting someone and your bound to miss a parcel delivery!
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper

My bell and the bell of person they want are clearly marked. Neighbour upstairs is normally expecting them/waiting for them to turn up but it takes maybe a minute to get down from second floor and they wait maybe 5 sec and ring my doorbell

They ring yours because the neighbour is slow and you are lightning fast?

Why not just wait a minute before you answer? You can listen out for the police or the neighbour going past and if you hear nothing you can assume it really is for you.

If you are expecting a parcel you can be quicker on that day but it's not everyday people have deliveries.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Neighbour upstairs is normally expecting them/waiting for them to turn up but it takes maybe a minute to get down from second floor and they wait maybe 5 sec and ring my doorbell.
    If you keep letting them in they'll keep ringing your bell. Next time they do it explain the tenant upstairs is slow to answer the doorbell because of the stairs and ask them to wait rather than ring your bell.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure