PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Unequel Deposit Amount - Joint Mortgage?

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    However you decide to go about things make sure you get it all written down.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    tubsolard wrote: »
    If both of us are comfortable and happy to sign something or come to an official, signed agreement regarding the ownership prior to committing then I don't see what the big deal is? Any question over trust, ownership issues etc are ones for us to agree/disagree on privately I'm just curious as to what options are in front of us.

I'll accept of course that one option is not to buy a house together, but aside from that, what other options assuming we are going to buy! That's the question.

No issue, it's your life, do as you wish.

It's like pre-nuptial agreements (which aren't enforceable blah blah) it's hardly saying 'I trust you' is it?
  • tubsolard
    tubsolard Posts: 31 Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    No issue, it's your life, do as you wish.

It's like pre-nuptial agreements (which aren't enforceable blah blah) it's hardly saying 'I trust you' is it?

Well, it's more of a "I love you, but don't f*ck me over if we split up" I can live with that.
  • Guest101
    Well, it's more of a "I love you, but don't f*ck me over if we split up" I can live with that.

I hate to be pedantic (well that's not strictly true) -

"I love you, but don't !!!! me over if we split" - is actually what I'm saying - ie doing it on trust.

What you're (or shes saying) saying is "I love you, but I think you might !!!! me over if we split, so I'd like you to sign these legal documents"
  • tubsolard
    tubsolard Posts: 31 Forumite
    Guest101 wrote: »
    I hate to be pedantic (well that's not strictly true) -

"I love you, but don't !!!! me over if we split" - is actually what I'm saying - ie doing it on trust.

What you're (or shes saying) saying is "I love you, but I think you might !!!! me over if we split, so I'd like you to sign these legal documents"

From the outside I can understand why it may look like this.

But circumstances, history, personal experience and personality all make a difference.

I know why she mooted the idea (it's not necessary for me to go into detail on here) and I'm completely comfortable with protecting her financial interests and making sure she's happy.
  • Guest101
    From the outside I can understand why it may look like this. - Good, I'm glad you can see where I'm coming from.

But circumstances, history, personal experience and personality all make a difference. - of course, it's what drives us as human beings. It's a sad fact that on average a relationship in the UK will last 2 years and 9 months and that 42% of marriages end in divorce.

I know why she mooted the idea (it's not necessary for me to go into detail on here) and I'm completely comfortable with protecting her financial interests and making sure she's happy.

That's fine, best of luck to you in your endeavours.
  • TBH if I was in her position I would want my interests protected contractually, otherwise would not buy a place with you.

As mentioned have a contract drawn up stating you get back what you paid in upon sale and going forward its 50-50 that makes it easier.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    problem is that life can change - we each had a house when we married, cost about the same but when we sold them mine made about 18k and DH made about 25k - so could be thought of as unequal deposits on the next property.
    We have moved a few times since and at times DH has paid for just about everything (maternity leave and very part time working) then he looked after the kids and I have earned all the money. Goodness knows who has put what into the joint property and savings pot.
    Can understand the need for an agreement early on but have to be flexible - I have seen a few friends struggling to have "joint funds" even after many years of marriage
  • tubsolard wrote: »
    From the outside I can understand why it may look like this.

But circumstances, history, personal experience and personality all make a difference.

have you been caught doing the dirty with the milkman in the past. tut tut
  • Guest101
    Flugelhorn wrote: »
    problem is that life can change - we each had a house when we married, cost about the same but when we sold them mine made about 18k and DH made about 25k - so could be thought of as unequal deposits on the next property.
    We have moved a few times since and at times DH has paid for just about everything (maternity leave and very part time working) then he looked after the kids and I have earned all the money. Goodness knows who has put what into the joint property and savings pot.
    Can understand the need for an agreement early on but have to be flexible - I have seen a few friends struggling to have "joint funds" even after many years of marriage

Marriage means everything is joint. That's the legal position. people who struggle with that are usually deluded.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure