Nationwide - Extremely Poor Service

Options

Comments

• PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    3plus1 wrote: »
    I'm going to have to reimburse my landlord for any bank charges he incurs.
    Your landlord won't have been charged for the cheque bouncing, if he's tried telling you otherwise then he's lying to you (and shouldn't the cheque have been going into a deposit protection scheme anyway, not his personal bank account??)
  • 3plus1
    3plus1 Posts: 821 Forumite
    Options
    PBA wrote: »
    Your landlord won't have been charged for the cheque bouncing, if he's tried telling you otherwise then he's lying to you (and shouldn't the cheque have been going into a deposit protection scheme anyway, not his personal bank account??)

No charges have been registered on his account as of yet, but he will let me know if any are incurred.

As for deposit protection schemes, they only apply to England and Wales. I am based in Scotland.

Please let me clarify something, because a lot of people seem to have misunderstood - I have no idea when my chequebook was cancelled. I wasn't told. It was not cancelled when my landlord tried to cash my cheque - it had been cancelled before then. Obviously, having not written a cheque for a while, this is the first occasion I've had to find out!
  • 3plus1
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    Whilst berating Nationwide for the incorrectly bounced cheque, could you not have obtained the £500 in cash and paid the landlord that? Then he would have no doubt about your liquidity and no concerns about getting the money before giving you the keys.

Who walks around carrying £500? I certainly would not feel safe.
    Labman wrote: »
    OP

How would you have felt if you checked your account & found a zero balance because of fraud? Would you then have complained about Nationwide allowing your account to be emptied?

How long would it have been, before you'd got that sorted out?

Nationwide could have sent you a letter...not all mail gets to recipients.

In all honesty Nationwide have tried to act in your best interests....why are you complaining?

I check my account regularly using online banking and always know how much money is in it. If my details were compromised, it would not be possible to clean out the entire account - there is too much money in it.

To the best of my knowledge, I have never had any mail go missing from my current address. I get mail from Nationwide regularly - and for that matter, Nationwide admitted that a letter had not been sent.

They did not act in my best interests - they removed a service without informing me of this and put me in a horrible situation.
    Why is it an absurd thing to have done? They saw an unusual activity on a customers account and acted in the best interests of their customer. If any Bank/Building Society that I'm a customer of thought there was a problem with any activity on my account and didn't act, then I'd be upset with them.

They didn't respond to unusual activity. The chequebook was cancelled before the cheque was presented. I just wasn't informed of such.
    I'm defending them because Nationwide exercised 'due diligence' on the OP's account and in doing so attempted to 'protect' their account....if they hadn't I'd imagine the OP could have been complaining 'I hadn't used my cheque book for over a year & Nationwide didn't spot a potential fraud why did they pay out on the cheque. Yes in this case they apparently got it wrong....in other cases I'm sure they'll have been right.

Wasn't due diligence. They had already cancelled my chequebook and not told me. I don't know how long I've been walking around thinking I have a valid chequebook - the details that the staff managed to obtain were rather sketchy. I still don't know if I've got the full story here.
  • 3plus1
    Options
    Is it possible that the Nationwide has written to you & you didn't recieve the letter?

My understanding is that I should have been contacted as part of standard policy, but that the system shows that I never in fact was.

You have to bear in mind though, that I have spoken to several members of staff who have been calling several other people and it could all be Chinese whispers. But that is my understanding of what has happened.

I have never had a letter from Nationwide go missing to my knowledge - I get paper statements regularly, news about interest rates changing, pin reminders, new cards, etc. I really don't think a letter went missing. I don't think anyone tried to contact me - that is why I am so annoyed.
  • Alfie_E
    Alfie_E Posts: 1,293 Forumite
    Options
    So nobody has actually lost anything?
    I can understand why 3plus1 is very upset. She’s lost some of her good name. The formalities of the modern cheque were set down in the Bills of Exchange Act 1882. Cheques are old, and their exact details a bit arcane. As far as I can remember, if a bank fails to honour a valid cheque without good reason, this can count as defamation. 3plus1’s landlord may now behave differently, when the tenancy comes to be renewed.

I think Nationwide have behaved unreasonably. While they may have wished to protect both themselves and 3plus1 from fraud, there was an alternative to simply bouncing the cheque. They could have tried to contact her and ask her if she issued the cheque. Once they were satisfied it was genuine, they could have honoured it. I appreciate that the new 2-4-6 rules make things a bit tight, but that’s still six working days.

I feel that 3plus1 would be entitled to push Nationwide for a small amount of compensation.
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
  • 3plus1
    Options
    DryWeeMuff wrote: »
    I repeat....yes or no?

See post #20. The answer is no.

The building society staff do not think I was written to, and I certainly have no reason to believe I was either.
  • 3plus1
    Options
    Alfie_E wrote: »
    I feel that 3plus1 would be entitled to push Nationwide for a small amount of compensation.

I'd much rather have Nationwide investigate what went wrong, and give me assurances that this will not happen again. Do you think if I wrote to them and said as much, that anything would actually happen or would I be wasting my time with that point?

I'm a bit confused as to why so many people have leapt in to support Nationwide, when I do feel, as you said, that I have lost some of my good name. Apart from the fact I think it's embarrassing for anyone when a cheque bounces - I'm an accountant. I'm meant to be good with money. Having a cheque bounce makes me look as if I don't know what I'm doing in my job. :(
  • hev_2
    hev_2 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Options
    I have had really great service from Nationwide in locations all over the country.

I think that is part of the problem, most people do have great service from them. I do understand that you are upset. It could make you look less than competent to a potential customer.

Perhaps you could bypass the lady you first dealt with and write a polite and detailed letter to their head office. My experience with them has been really positive, so I think it is worth a go.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted out.
    Always another chapter

• RadoJo
    RadoJo Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    3plus1 - I think you underestimate people's appreciation of how banks can make mistakes. You are worried about your reputation and 'good name' but has it really been damaged? You say your landlord has been understanding, which suggests he has accepted your explanation of what happened, and I can't really see how anyone else was involved. I know it is a cringy feeling to have something like that happen and cause a panic, but try not to let it worry you - things like this happen all the time and people understand.

My bank account was 'accidentally closed' last year, meaning my debit card, mortgage payment, all direct debits etc were cancelled and all it took was a couple of phone calls to the people affected explaining what had happened and they were all sympathetic and there was no suggestion that it was down to me. It was annoying, sure, and I wrote to the bank to say my piece, but I know it was just a case of human error - what really annoyed me was the length of time it took them to correct the problem - and they apologised and everything was alright. It sounds like an apology and a little sympathy as to your situation would probably have put an end to this matter - if you write to them you will probably get this, so it is probably worth doing for your own piece of mind, but I really would try not to worry about how it made you look to your landlord - as long as you pay on time in future and don't trash his flat, he will probably forget about it much sooner than you!
  • uktim29
    uktim29 Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    Options
    what is it with the sort of people who write things like "What if there had been fraudulent use" THERE WASN'T :confused:confused:and the OP made this clear - why post such irrelevant garbage.

Oh, have Nationwide now employed Mystic Meg (wondered what she must be up to now) to psychically tell them that there was nothing dodgy about this unusual transaction?
    Alfie_E wrote: »
    She’s lost some of her good name..

I would have kept it low key so as few people as possible know, like posting it on a busy internet froum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure