Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• Dave360180
    Options
    JasperAlex wrote: »
    I changed this quite easily on webchat. Only took a few minutes

Worked well, thanks.
  • Dave360180
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    This is the approach to take - CANCEL. Don’t just threaten to cancel. Don’t ask what deals they have and then come off the phone to think about it. When your contract is up, CANCEL. This starts a 30 day notice period. Then await the callback.

Anyone have a feel for why some people do / don't get a call back?
  • JasperAlex
    Options
    Anon wrote: »

An advanced technique (if your credit file can take it) is to apply to BT including a home line transfer as this adds another flag on your account that you are serious (as they notify Virgin) and escalates to a different outbound team.

You can cancel the BT before install (no charges) and if it comes to it can cancel your Virgin cancellation if they haven’t phoned back.

Why would applying to BT affect your credit file? Also, does anyone know whether some of the upfront BT fees e.g. current £9.99 delivery charge for the router can be added to the first bill or is it literally payable on order and if so, can these be refunded?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JasperAlex wrote: »
    Why would applying to BT affect your credit file? Also, does anyone know whether some of the upfront BT fees e.g. current £9.99 delivery charge for the router can be added to the first bill or is it literally payable on order and if so, can these be refunded?

Applying for any financial agreement is shown on your credit file - applying for too many services/financial products in a short space of time can impact on your ability to apply for other services (see MSE articles).

Yes you can add the delivery to your first bill, so it is not payable if you cancel before install/delivery.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 January 2018 at 11:27PM
    Options
    daveandgem wrote: »
    Anyone have a feel for why some people do / don't get a call back?

The impression you get is most people get the call back - there doesn’t seem to be any pattern for those that don’t (not contract value or length of time with them).
  • infil50
    infil50 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in the same position. Paying £30 for 200mb full house massive increase coming my way end of February. Doubt very much I'll get anything like the same deal.
  • hpmann
    hpmann Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hpmann wrote: »
    My deal is about to end for broadband so I called them and cancelled, best they could do was £24 for 100mg which I declined after reading the comments on this thread - will be interesting to see if I get a call from retentions... lol

Got the call yesterday and was offered 100mb for £28 which I declined, so was offered 50mb for £23 with two months free which I accepted, so works out at just over £19 - still waiting for the confirmation email but the credit has already been applied to my account :)
  • Dave360180
    Dave360180 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hpmann, great. They called you within one day then ?
  • hpmann
    hpmann Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    daveandgem wrote: »
    Hpmann, great. They called you within one day then ?

I cancelled Thursday evening, I’m glad they did because VM is my only real option where I live
  • hilburs
    Options
    I was paying £107 per month approx.
    for
    Full House TV (1 old V+ Box and 1 TiVo Box)
    70 mbps broadband (type 2 router)
    and evening and weekends phone, - never use it!

I called today went though to the "thinking of leaving us" option told them I wasn't happy paying so much I had been a customer for more than 10 years blah blah. they guy was really friendly and helpful said we should always call if not happy with deal.

So I am now paying £67.50/month for 12 months (£77.50 after that) for
    Weekend calls telephone (dont use it anyway)
    100mbps "Vivid Optical Fibre 100" broadband (inc New 3 router as we are currently on a #2)
    Keeping "Full house" TV, including new TiVo 6 box (getting rid of old V+ box, and keeping TiVo Box)

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED BEFORE I'M QUITE HAPPY NOW!
    :T
    :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport