Tesco Value Washing Powder

Anyone else noticed?

A big box of the above was £1.64 but last week I went in and it was the same price but the box has gone from needing two hands to hold it to the 'regular' size.

Maybe it shrunk in the wash.

I hope this is temporary, although it's still cheaper than the others.

Bit of a cheek though.

Comments

• Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Out of interest, how do you find the value washing powder, is it ok? I have never tried it.

I've been using that Daisy discount brand and (sorry if this is too much info) I've noticed it's not totally getting the sweaty smells off from my DH's shirts!
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    The Sainsbury's basics washing powder did the same thing a few weeks ago and it seems to be permanent.
    Lilith, not used Tesco's value, but I've used the basics powder for going on a year now and it's just as good as Ariel I find, and my DS2 is a dirt magnet. It has little smell to, which I like but I suppose others might prefer a stronger perfume.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • I find it does us OK, mind you we don't get overly grubby and we've got no kids therefore no grass stains or similar to worry about. We do put a lot of sweaty exercise gear in and it seems to do the job though. Well, our friends haven't said anything about an odour to us.

By the time the odd grease stain becomes too embarrassing to be seen out in the item of clothing is so knackered it's only fit for the bin anyway!

I do add some washing soda to the wash if I feel it needs it, e.g. white table cloth.

If you need a bit of oomph for DH's shirts, might be worth getting a brand you trust a bit more and cutting it half and half with the cheap stuff. Or do you wash at a low temparature? Maybe need to wash a bit hotter to kill the offending niff. (sorry, don't mean it to sound as if I'm telling you how to launder :o).
  • linni
    linni Posts: 1,480 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have used the Tesco value powder, it clogs up the dispenser but apart from that it's not too bad.
  • The Sainsbury's basics washing powder did the same thing a few weeks ago and it seems to be permanent.

Oh well, that looks like it then....
  • yorkygal
    yorkygal Posts: 520 Forumite
    I have tried Tesco's own wash colour tablets and I hated them they made the clothes smell really fusty but my mum likes them. I am trying Asda's own wash tablets at the minute - so far so good and I think they were less than £3 for a box of 28????
    Opinions are like ar*eholes - everybody has one!!!! :D
  • I use Tesco value too - but again no kids and no real muck, but i do use far less than they recommend and my clothes come out clean and smelling nice! I put everything except whites on a quick wash but i dont know what temperature that is?
  • Obukit
    Obukit Posts: 670 Forumite
    The Sainsburys Basics reduced in size because they made their powder more concentrated, e.g. although the box is now 2.4kg instead of 3kg, the recommended doses are now proportionally less as well, if you compare the two boxes. I guess most people will continue to use a "scoop" and so be worse off, though.

Not sure if it's the same for the Tesco Value powder as well.
  • That's interesting.
    That may just be the incentive I need to get back into Sainsbury's. Tesco is just a bit closer, but I'm a JS girl at heart. The nectar points aren't as good though.
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

If you need a bit of oomph for DH's shirts, might be worth getting a brand you trust a bit more and cutting it half and half with the cheap stuff. Or do you wash at a low temparature? Maybe need to wash a bit hotter to kill the offending niff. (sorry, don't mean it to sound as if I'm telling you how to launder :o).

Lol, no that's ok. I wash at 30 so maybe I need to crank it up to 40 for DH's shirts. We don't have kids or anything so our clothes don't get that dirty.

I used to use Tesco's colour tablets and there were no offending smells so I could go back to using that but I will try the value stuff first and see how I get on.

Thanks ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport