Can my employer change my pay date?

Emzyrose
Emzyrose Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 10 December 2019 at 5:41PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
So I am just looking for some advice, I have been told today by my manager that as the owner of our business is away for Christmas, we will be paid on the 17th December instead of the 23rd as stated. Our pay structure is usually monthly - the 20th of the previous month to the 19th of the current month, which is usually paid to us around the 28th. But if we are to be paid on the 17th I'm unsure when our cut off date will be. This will mean our pay is less for December and we then have to wait until January 28th for our next pay. Is my employer legally allowed to do this? It won't affect the salary paid workers too much but for those of us who are hourly paid it makes things a bit more difficult. We have less pay than usual and then have to wait longer for our next pay. Just wondering if there's actually anything I can do or if I just have to accept it.
Any advice is greatly appreciated thank you!

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It is quite normal for employers to pay December's salary before Christmas and it is more often than not enhanced as to what would have been paid on the usual payday
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Thank you, I understand it is usual practice to pay before Christmas and they had stated the 23rd in our contract. Unfortunately they are not enhancing the pay, they have changed the cut off date from the 20th to the 11th in order to pay us on the 17th. So our pay will be calculated from the 20th November to the 11th December, which means we will have to wait until the 28th January to be paid from the 12th December to the 19th January. I just want to know if legally they are allowed to do this as I can't really find anything online.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Emzyrose wrote: »
    Thank you, I understand it is usual practice to pay before Christmas and they had stated the 23rd in our contract. Unfortunately they are not enhancing the pay, they have changed the cut off date from the 20th to the 11th in order to pay us on the 17th. So our pay will be calculated from the 20th November to the 11th December, which means we will have to wait until the 28th January to be paid from the 12th December to the 19th January. I just want to know if legally they are allowed to do this as I can't really find anything online.

I believe they can, but just supposed it was illegal, or unlawful, what action would you take? Any legal action is likely to take months to reach a conclusion and require large amounts of time and money spent on it.

I would suggest, a more fruitful approach would be to discuss this with your manager/ employer and explain the financial hardship it places it you under and ask if they would consider advancing some of next months pay to smooth the effect.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Change of contractual pay period and pay day should be done with consultation.

Bringing a pay day forward has no detriment.

Changing the pay period does.
  • Express with others your dissatisfaction with this suggestion by the employer and ask they estimate hours and make amendments the following month but if they insist there is little you can do about it because the resolution is within 5/6 weeks
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,366
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Cut off dates are generally for overtime and expenses payments, and don't affect the base salary. You should still get a full month basic pay.
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 881
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Cut off dates are generally for overtime and expenses payments, and don't affect the base salary. You should still get a full month basic pay.

I read it that OP is paid on an hourly rate and therefore is paid for actual hours worked so doesn't receive a basic pay.
  • Will you be getting your normal amount, or a reduced amount?
  • Emzyrose wrote: »
    So I am just looking for some advice, I have been told today by my manager that as the owner of our business is away for Christmas, we will be paid on the 17th December instead of the 23rd as stated. Our pay structure is usually monthly - the 20th of the previous month to the 19th of the current month, which is usually paid to us around the 28th. But if we are to be paid on the 17th I'm unsure when our cut off date will be. This will mean our pay is less for December and we then have to wait until January 28th for our next pay. Is my employer legally allowed to do this? It won't affect the salary paid workers too much but for those of us who are hourly paid it makes things a bit more difficult. We have less pay than usual and then have to wait longer for our next pay. Just wondering if there's actually anything I can do or if I just have to accept it.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated thank you!

So when does the owner's Christmas holiday start? Why cannot the owner authorise December payment while on holiday or arrange for another person to take their place in this procedure?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure