Potential Non Received Item

Options
I sold an item on ebay on 30/11 and posted it 02/11.

The buyer didn't pay for a signed for delivery so I've only got the receipt that you normally get.

I've had an email today querying whether it has been sent as it hasn't been received.

On checking the reference number the post office states that it was delivered on 4/12.

So how likely is it that Ebay will take the buyer's side if it does develop into a dispute?

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    I sold an item on ebay on 30/11 and posted it 02/11.

The buyer didn't pay for a signed for delivery so I've only got the receipt that you normally get.

I've had an email today querying whether it has been sent as it hasn't been received.

On checking the reference number the post office states that it was delivered on 4/12.

So how likely is it that Ebay will take the buyer's side if it does develop into a dispute?

You have proof of delivery, so no chance.
  • steviebabes
    steviebabes Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Add the reference number to the transaction as soon as possible.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should have added the POD at time of dispatch.

Has the buyer opened a case or was it just a query?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    The buyer just sent an email asking if I'd sent it so I sent a photo of the receipt....I had marked the item as despatched but I guess people do that & then don't send it.

I haven't heard anything back so hopefully that will be an end to the matter
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    A bit of an update.

The buyer again contacted me as the parcel still hadn't been received but when I rechecked the tracking details it was changed to say delivery had been refused.

I then emailed the buyer & said that they had 2 options - On receipt of the parcel I'd either resend it provided they contributed half & confirmed the address to be used or I'd refund just the cost of the item.

I've now received the parcel back & offered these options to them giving them a deadline of Wednesday after which I'll just do the refund.

Have I been fair - I think I have but just wanted to check I won't fall foul of anything.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,200 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A bit of an update.

The buyer again contacted me as the parcel still hadn't been received but when I rechecked the tracking details it was changed to say delivery had been refused.

I then emailed the buyer & said that they had 2 options - On receipt of the parcel I'd either resend it provided they contributed half & confirmed the address to be used or I'd refund just the cost of the item.

I've now received the parcel back & offered these options to them giving them a deadline of Wednesday after which I'll just do the refund.

Have I been fair - I think I have but just wanted to check I won't fall foul of anything.

Yes you have an issue. If you only refund the item cost then you can't cancel the sale and therefore won't get any FVFs back. Also if buyer opens an INR you will lose and have to refund the lot.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Thanks for the advice

The buyer has come back and asked that I sent it again which I've done ....hopefully this time she'll get it!

If it gets returned a 2nd time then I'll just refund her the total amount
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport