Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Comments

• Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Speculator wrote: »
    Opened the Virgin 3% Regular at Haymarket today and she said to close or withdraw from the account, I must visit the store.

I cannot close or withdraw from the account by post.

I have closed previous store issues via post and not had a problem, unless it's a new T&C you have been given wrong information, I wasn't told of any new T&Cs when I opens the latest one.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Can you see the balance on the virgin store regular savers accounts from virgin internet banking?

No you can only see the E Saver Regular Savers online, the balances are in the passbooks when they are updated in branch either at maturity or when you pass a branch.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Re: Virgin RS's.

It seems quite bizarre at the moment that the more labour intensive, high overhead account....i.e. the Store RS, is paying more interest than the E-saver, where no staff or passbook required. You'd think it should be the other way round!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Re: Virgin RS's.

It seems quite bizarre at the moment that the more labour intensive, high overhead account....i.e. the Store RS, is paying more interest than the E-saver, where no staff or passbook required. You'd think it should be the other way round!!

Could it not simply be that following the change in base rate Virgin elected to pay 3% on new accounts and that the 'turn' of the store version was next out of the blocks? The next online version at 3% should prove my point.
  • aleph_0
    aleph_0 Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    schiff wrote: »
    Could it not simply be that following the change in base rate Virgin elected to pay 3% on new accounts and that the 'turn' of the store version was next out of the blocks? The next online version at 3% should prove my point.

I think there are two possibilities here. One is along the lines of your scenario. They've gone off-cycle with this new issue (only a month after the previous one). It could be that we will get a new e-Regular saver in about a weeks time, or in a week+month when the next e-Regular was due.

The other possibility is that they've deliberately made it branch-only. Which at first glance doesn't make sense, with the costs of account opening. But at 3%, it's definitely a loss-leader, and there might be the hope of building relationship/identifying additional needs if visiting in person. The question is how many new accounts the big signs in the windows attract over the regular saver collector crowd.
  • liamcov
    liamcov Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What is everyone's experience (time wise) of opening the Virgin store regs?

It's been between 20-50 minutes for each of mine. I've started saying I only have 30 mins due to parking and that seems to hurry them up and cut out the legal bits etc.
  • Elvie100
    Elvie100 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    aleph_0 wrote: »
    I think there are two possibilities here. One is along the lines of your scenario. They've gone off-cycle with this new issue (only a month after the previous one). It could be that we will get a new e-Regular saver in about a weeks time, or in a week+month when the next e-Regular was due.

The other possibility is that they've deliberately made it branch-only. Which at first glance doesn't make sense, with the costs of account opening. But at 3%, it's definitely a loss-leader, and there might be the hope of building relationship/identifying additional needs if visiting in person. The question is how many new accounts the big signs in the windows attract over the regular saver collector crowd.

I called my local 'branch' on Friday as I was meant to go in and open an account but got delayed so have had to postpone. I asked if they would be having another online version and was told there were no plans to and they decided to limit it to branch only since they upped the interest rate to see how things go. Time will tell!
    Was MFW#60 - mortgage paid off December 2021
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Elvie100 wrote: »
    I called my local 'branch' on Friday as I was meant to go in and open an account but got delayed so have had to postpone. I asked if they would be having another online version and was told there were no plans to and they decided to limit it to branch only since they upped the interest rate to see how things go. Time will tell!

They're just BSing you I suspect. The staff in branch probably don't know about the online version yet.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Elvie100
    Elvie100 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    They're just BSing you I suspect. The staff in branch probably don't know about the online version yet.

I hope you are right...
    Was MFW#60 - mortgage paid off December 2021
  • cosh25
    cosh25 Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Can't see it on here, but the Monmouthshire BS have a Regular Saver Bond which pays 2.50% for 12 months with a max pay in of £250.

The account can be opened online by residents of England and Wales... if I remember correctly, it used to be postcode dependent? could be wrong.

I've applied online and they say they'll be in touch so will see what happens!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure