Peloton Bike

Hi guys. I would love to have a Peloton Bike. Do you think this is a good idea? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 August 2019 at 8:51AM
    I bought one. It's expensive (I got mine after an inheritance) and it's £40 a month on top of that. So, you'd have to make sure you used it

Loads of different classes at various levels (they do stretching, yoga etc too) and, something I like, city and scenic rides

I do spin classes and find it harder than them. Mainly, because, it can be pretty competitive as you can see how you are doing on a leader board. And it requires cycling shoes.

It's a personal thing. I really like it as you can exercise at any time and it fits in with what I do at the gym
  • Personally, if you have the kind of money you would need to purchase a Peloton and the monthly subscription, I'd buy a good road bike and get out on the country roads.

Admittedly as the nights are drawing in, opportunity would be limited but again, get yourself a good Smart turbo trainer and a Zwift subscription as this is a far more enjoyable alternative to Peloton. Set yourself up with a free Strava account too and compare your performance against fellow cyclists.
  • Get a neo2 & zwift.

Looked at the Peloton bike myself but the currently! £40/month cost kills it for me.
  • Without knowing anything about your background or reasons its damn near impossible to give any useful advice.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    craggybuk wrote: »
    Personally, if you have the kind of money you would need to purchase a Peloton and the monthly subscription, I'd buy a good road bike and get out on the country roads.

Admittedly as the nights are drawing in, opportunity would be limited but again, get yourself a good Smart turbo trainer and a Zwift subscription as this is a far more enjoyable alternative to Peloton. Set yourself up with a free Strava account too and compare your performance against fellow cyclists.
    Get a neo2 & zwift.

Looked at the Peloton bike myself but the currently! £40/month cost kills it for me.

This ^^

I looked into peloton and then ended up getting a Neo + zwift (I have it set up with a cheap 2nd hand bike) then I also got a decent road bike for summer riding.

As said the massive subscription is more than a full gym membership including the classes!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Check a few reviews on YouTube first to make sure you know what you’re purchasing, it’s the cost for some and absolutely not for others, and it depends on what you’re looking for. I have a Schwinn IC3.
    [FONT=&quot]I like to do everything to the best of my ability. :wave:
    [/FONT]
  • ianbar0
    ianbar0 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    if i had endless money then yeah id buy one. for the cost upfront and per month id just get a road bike and a turbo. ride real when you can use the turbo when you would use the peloton. if you get into it, use zwift or something similar....as has been said though , without knowing you targets or reasons etc hard to give a detailed response
    £18 for my old mobile.
    new proper meal planning to cut spending.
    £26 in coppers taken to bank.
    £30 under grocery budget last 2 weeks.
    £22.98 cashback quidco
    £34.02 music magpie
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Wow that's unbelievable. How do they manage to charge so much? I pay less than that for full gym membership including sauna, Jacuzzi, steam room, classes, unlimited showers.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As I say, it's a personal thing. I can't ride a road bike because of balance issues emanating from a benign tumour near my ear.

It works for me. I have a gym membership, too, but can only use a bike and not do the impact classes that I used to. Getting old and arthritic! I wouldn't have done it but for the inheritance and I, completely, agree it's hugely expensive.

It augments my gym classes and the ability to hop on it at any time is attractive. I totally understand why others would take different options
  • Alann996
    Alann996 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 3 December 2019 at 4:07AM
    Lots of advice above from people who a) obviously haven't tried a Peloton and b) are outdoor cyclists.

No disrespect to anyone but the Peloton is NOT supposed to replace an outdoor bike.
    And as for the cost vs a Tacx Neo (et Al) plus a bike its not that great when you look at what you get by the time you enter in software costs, sensors, meters etc (all built in to the Peloton) subscriptions etc.
    These setups give you at best boring rides on a screen with stats, no particular interaction other than with other computer generated figures on screen.

The Peloton is for people who want a fitness solution in the convenience of their own home, at whatever time they wish.
    For your £39/month you get 10s of thousands of fully coached live and structured workouts on demand, whenever you want them. Spinning is an incredibly effective fitness tool that many people love, they are not interested in plodding the streets alone or joining groups of anoraks !!!!ing off car users!
    They want an efficient, fun workout whenever they want it or is convenient to them.
    The Peloton sub also comes with floor workouts, yoga etc too.
    Now I don't know where the commenters above go to the gym (and what sort of equipment is available there) but less than £40/month including spinning and other classes? Really? Cheapest half-decent gym around here is DWF at £42/month spinning classes are extra and at least half of the kit is either broken or constantly "busy".
    Again there is the convenience, you don't have to drive for 15 minutes or whatever every tues/weds/fri/etc to attend the class you had to book at least a week ago.
    I am a cyclist.
    I love riding outdoors.
    But when the rain is lashing in with the wind in the winter I jump on the Peloton a few times per week and get a good sweat on. I find it fun and engaging, never boring like my Tacx and bike was.

Oh one other thing...for that £39/month you can have as many users as you want (I think there is a limit but its a lot) all of whom can track their own stats, choose their own stuff to do, exactly when they want to do it.
    There are 3 of us in our house that use it on a very regular basis (10-12 times per week between us) and have done for a year. So about £12/head/month and the bike is still in as new condition, its a proper industrial bit of kit.

2 penneth from an actual owner rather than someone merely looking at the figures.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback