Winter Fuel Payment - which charity?

Options

Comments

• capital0ne
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Well i am not in a FS pension so do keep my winter fuel payment.
    But well done you for giving yours to charity.
    I know some of you who post here aren't in a position to donate and are seeking tips and help on pensions, but quite a few are extremely well off like xylophone, dunstonh, kidmugsy, jamesd, cepheus, AdrianC, gallygirl, masonic et-al who I'm sure donate to many charities.

And of course I'll be gift aiding, anyone who pays tax can do so, and that includes pensioners.
  • BucksLady
    Options
    capital0ne wrote: »
    but quite a few are extremely well off like xylophone, dunstonh, kidmugsy, jamesd, cepheus, AdrianC, gallygirl, masonic et-al who I'm sure donate to many charities.

The MSE 'rich list' - cool :cool:
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ...... quite a few are extremely well off like xylophone, dunstonh, kidmugsy, jamesd, cepheus, AdrianC, gallygirl, masonic et-al .........

Well off compared to whom, exactly?
    Is this not a tad presumptious and subjective, not to say bordering on the rude?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    quite a few are extremely well off like ..............

I hope you got their approval before making that comment?

If not then it seems to me to be in extremely poor taste.
    And if they did give approval, which I would doubt, then I would disaprove of their poor taste in flaunting their wealth in that way.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I know some of you who post here aren't in a position to donate and are seeking tips and help on pensions, but quite a few are extremely well off like xylophone, dunstonh, kidmugsy, jamesd, cepheus, AdrianC, gallygirl, masonic et-al who I'm sure donate to many charities.

Never mind your insight into their finances, do you know for a fact that all of them are old enough to get winter fuel payments?

If you want to humblebrag you might find Instagram more receptive.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    extremely well off like xylophone,

Oh, if only that were true.......:)
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Nice of you to call me a youngster :) I won't get the WFP til 2025.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2034 for me - but them I am not on the 'rich list' unless there was a typo as well as general rudeness :)
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Mnd wrote: »
    If you are a tax payer do you gift aid your donation?

It would seem bizarre to pick a charity to support enough to give them your money, but not enough to allow them to claim the tax relief, instead leaving it to government to allocate the funds to wherever it sees fit - which could have been made available for you and/or your chosen charity if you had checked the box.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I prefer to donate all year round to my favoured charity. It is much fairer on the charity as they don't have to rely on me "remembering" at Christmas. I also donate somewhat more than the WFP. As for the retired rich list, would have to wonder how anyone would know actually, I probably come somewhere well below millionth & well under average earnings. Perhaps I should add here "I'm all right Jack!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure