MSE Poll: Do you eat food past its best-before date?

2»

Comments

• Afourteen wrote: »
    I'd much prefer to see 'Packed' or delivery dates displayed.

Or even better, proper "made on" or "picked on" dates, especially on "fresh" baguettes
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The problem with removing the best before dates is that you have absolutely no idea how long it has been on the shelf. With some supermarkets bad stock rotation (yes Tesco I mean you, which is why you are removing the dates) it could already be on what was a best before date. I prefer it to be my choice to use things past their best before date.
  • A date of sorts allows me to rotate my food!
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A date of sorts allows me to rotate my food!

Exactly that. Tea a couple of nights ago included a sauce Dec 2017, a few nights before that potatoes dated mid July (we don't eat them often). But it should be my choice if I eat them past their best, not some supermarket giving me no idea how long they have been on the shelf. I have 2 packets of mange tout in my fridge. If I had bought them from Tesco I would have no idea which to eat first.

So thank you Aldi for STARTING to put dates on things, which was my cue to start buying fresh veg etc from you a few months after you opened a store near me, when they first opened they didn't.
  • earlywormgetsthebird
    earlywormgetsthebird Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2018 at 6:22PM
    Call me a cynic, but this is surely more about squeezing more profits out of people than any genuine concern for waste. I recently bought a pack of oranges from tesco which were within their bbd, and two were mouldy too soon afterwards. the month before, one became mouldy within their BBD. So I brought them back each time: on the day after they became mouldy, on the first occasion, and later the same day, the next - and they were exchanged without any issue. Each packet's BBD showed that they should still have been in excellent condition, just as when they were bought.

When there's no BBD, they can argue even if the oranges were bought two days ago (as they were) that the mould is surely due to a customer "switching" the oranges - after all... 'there's no way that oranges bought only 48 hours ago would go mouldy THAT quickly... NOW would they!??! Alternatively, those of us who are honest shoppers would be less inclined to bring back spoiled fruit and veg, with the fear that we may be judged as potential 'scammers', when we're not!

Given the examples above, I fear will prove this change to be a backwards and unhelpful move for we customers, and a profit boosting one for them, for sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure