paypal access card been removed from service in sept 2019

Options
Looks like this service is been withdrawn, it is been replaced by a new product the paypal business debit mastercard.

This is a more exclusive product tho only aimed at businesses whilst the access card was available to personal account holders.

I Just upgraded my paypal account to business, which i hope has no downsides to it, and was able to order the new card, but this is a heads up to others who have an access card.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/business-debit-card

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    Looks like this service is been withdrawn, it is been replaced by a new product the paypal business debit mastercard.

This is a more exclusive product tho only aimed at businesses whilst the access card was available to personal account holders.

I Just upgraded my paypal account to business, which i hope has no downsides to it, and was able to order the new card, but this is a heads up to others who have an access card.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/business-debit-card

I had the same email inviting me to apply for the new card, I also had to upgrade to the business account. I couldn’t find any negatives or extra charges in doing so.
    ====
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Being !
  • d123
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    Being !

Or not being !
    ====
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a Paypal access card but I do not have a business account. So far, I've not been invited to apply for the new one, so maybe the personal ones won't be replaced.
  • d123
    edited 7 July 2019 at 11:43AM
    Options
    I have a Paypal access card but I do not have a business account. So far, I've not been invited to apply for the new one, so maybe the personal ones won't be replaced.

Mine was the personal access card (as was the OP, Chrysalis), the old style card will stop working on the 9th of September.

Edit

Here’s the content of the email I received
    We are writing to let you know about some important changes to your current PayPal Access Card.

Starting 27 June 2019, PayPal is introducing new PayPal Business Debit Mastercard® to replace your current PayPal Access Card. Please follow this link to confirm your address and request your new PayPal Business Debit Mastercard. You must be a PayPal business account holder. Your Access Card will continue to work up until 9 September 2019 or by the card expiry date if earlier, after which the Access Card will close and your cardholder agreement will terminate. Please note that after termination of your cardholder agreement or expiration of your Paypal Access Card, you will still have access to your funds on your PayPal account.

The new card will provide you with the same instant access to your PayPal balance, plus additional benefits such as zero monthly fee, zero foreign exchange fees on your international, online and in-person payments, flat £1 ATM fee per withdrawal worldwide and 0.5% cash back on all your debit transactions, uncapped and unlimited cash back.

You can learn more about the new card and review the terms and conditions by visiting paypal.com/uk/businessdebit
    ====
  • Space_Orbit
    Space_Orbit Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I might be paranoid but I am reluctant to change to a Paypal business seller account in case ebay (or HMRC) start to think I am a business seller (when I'm not).
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Swapping to a new wallet yesterday and found an old Paypal card dated 2011. Don't remember getting that or ever using it?

I do have a Paypal credit account that I opened a couple of years ago to take advantage of the 3 months interest free offer.

This obviously pre-dates that.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Swapping to a new wallet yesterday and found an old Paypal card dated 2011. Don't remember getting that or ever using it?

I do have a Paypal credit account that I opened a couple of years ago to take advantage of the 3 months interest free offer.

This obviously pre-dates that.
    I had the first one that was invitation only. It was quite useful when it worked. Back then I was turning over quite a bit on Ebay and it was still 3-5 days for a transfer so the ability to use funds readily was quite helpful.

The weirdest thing happened when I used the card to pay in a restaurant. Never having seen one before the waiter assumed I worked for Paypal and went off in a rant about how they'd ripped him off! He would not believe that I didn't work for them.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    new card came very quickly, arrived on tuesday.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have observed payments been made to me now default to "for goods and services" people tend to be lazy and rush things, so paypal are now making money in fees from me for what is personal payments simply because the default has changed. The card is convenient and nice to have, but because of the defaulting to business transactions I am considering reverting my account to personal, as I am also filling up in my portal lots of unshipped orders for what are personal payments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure