PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Fuddle I keep 3 bags of flour in the freezer and 1 in the cupboard (in a tin).
  • Thanks for the new thread :)

I am also de-lurking. I always read with interest, although actually assimilating info isn't necessarily following! I have just discovered tins from 2014 in my cupboard while rooting around for a food bank drive at work. A few things to add to what I bought, mainly tinned fruit I can no longer eat.

Perhaps it's a symptom of getting older or perhaps it's the relatively mild weather but I am rather feeling the cold this year. The main culprit is an external door my dining table is near. I've taken previous notes on possible solutions. Thanks, everybody.
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Flour needs to be frozen for at least 48 hours to kill the nasties. Hope that's helpful.

I didn't know we had a new thread. Found it by accident. Nice but rather confused now. Feel rather surplus to requirements. Ah well. These things happen - and these days life is usually confusing :)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 November 2018 at 8:36PM
    Miword, a New Thread - thank you to all involved. Plumps a cushion & snuggles down in comfort.

I need to take my tins cupboard in hand, not least as it would appear the shelf was being led up by four tins & no-one tried to move them - until someone did & cascade... Ooops. Still, I've found tins of beans I didn't remember buying (borlotti beans - all suggestions gratefully received) & need to chuck the blown & dented tins.

A colleague has disparaged the Costco sourced chopped tomato tins as "utterly tasteless". Not knowing what iniquities chopped tomato can get up to I smiled vaguely & have sloped over here to check: has anyone else subjected their tinned tomatoes to a blind taste test & if so what did they find & does it vary? Or am I dithering needlessly & that with the usual accompaniment of balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, Lea & Perrins, garlic etc no-one tastes the tomato Anyway?

Oh yes & I was much intrigued to learn there is No Such Stuff as insulating tape, just marking tape, if your electric cable is showing its insides, It Isn't Safe & at work that is an offence that H&S prosecutes the guilty until proven innocent. At home, you are allowed to die of ignorance, but at work - speak out?! As the fix is apparently simple, "anything that cannot be removed without destruction" like heat shrink tubing. Which can be invisible or distinctly coloured to taste.

Oh & eyeing what is going on in Sydney - wicked flooding - if you can't swim, please consider learning. Yes, we're supposed to be having really hot summers, but why take a chance? You don't need to be expert to survive.
  • A colleague has disparaged the Costco sourced chopped tomato tins as "utterly tasteless". Not knowing what iniquities chopped tomato can get up to I smiled vaguely & have sloped over here to check: has anyone else subjected their tinned tomatoes to a blind taste test & if so what did they find & does it vary? Or am I dithering needlessly & that with the usual accompaniment of balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, Lea & Perrins, garlic etc no-one tastes the tomato Anyway?

Just used two tins of the Costco ones in dinner this evening, they looked nice, and had a bit more flesh/thicker juice, but needed all the usual boosts to get them going and a bit more...I even resorted to a smidge of pesto in desperation! (Shhh!-DP not keen on pesto, don't tell him!)
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • I do't mind which prepping thread I post on, as long as it contains you lovely like-minded souls!
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Borlotti beans very nice in a hearty veg soup of onions, celery, carrots, kale [optional], leeks and potatoes. Adds a bit of protein. Sprinkle with nice [not dried] parmesan before eating.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Yey to the lurkers dekurking. :)

Thank you for the flour info. I'll be on to it in the next few days.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    fuddle wrote: »
    Yey to the lurkers dekurking. :)

Thank you for the flour info. I'll be on to it in the next few days.
    :T Hear, hear!!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If anyone here is not on a fixed tariff, or with OFTM, can I draw your attention to this thread in the Energy forum:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5930713

I took on my mother's energy bills back in the summer, and switched her to Outfox the Market. They have put the price up 3 times since then, and now my mother's bill would be 35% more than they said in June.

I just went on uSwitch, and found an exclusive 2 year fix with ESB at £72 per year more than I'm presently paying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure