PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Breakfast was the last hash brown, 2 scrambled eggs, 1/3rd tin of beans.

Went out for choccies :)

In £land checked out the minced beef pies and they made it into my basket - but for some reason I then changed my mind and swapped that for a pack of 8 sausage rolls.... I think I still struggle with the filling/pastry ratio of single pies, no matter how well recommended. Maybe another day....

Just ate 2 hot sausage rolls .. and some choccies :)

It's sunny out there, but in here I can't see any of that, so it might as well not be bothering :) That's one of my motivators to move: I want to spend most of the day in a room that gets the direct sun ... and I want to be able to see it going down.

Although, having said that, one house I could afford does give unbeatable sunset views .... trouble is, it's 2 miles inland and at the top of a hill and one of those strange layout "3 storey" style houses.... I think the road might also be a "bit shabby" too... so that's just made the B List. There is no real A list at all. There's "See This" (out of despondency) and "B List" comes after that lot.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,215 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    The sun warmed up the conservatory enough for me to sit & have a read before lunch

Lunch was bacon. lettuce & tom sarnie

Baked, then de-skinned some beetroot

prepped some spuds for HM chips

Read the gas meter

That's it:)
    In £land checked out the minced beef pies and they made it into my basket - but for some reason I then changed my mind and swapped that for a pack of 8 sausage rolls....

I looked at the sausage rolls as well, I was torn TBH, I'll await your report

Dinner on track, £land pie, HM chips, LO beans & some of the freshly cooked beetroot
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Thanks for the birthday wishes gang!

I've had a nice day out in Peterborough, and now just chilling at home. The sun stayed out for us, but it was a bit chilly in the shade.
    May put a film on later and perhaps have a nice soak in the bath with a bath bomb. I know how to live!
    I very much enjoyed my fishcake and chips last night. I've got a spare fish cake, which I'll eat up later, when I fancy it. :)
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • PasturesNew
    Farway wrote: »
    I looked at the sausage rolls as well, I was torn TBH, I'll await your report

Dinner on track, £land pie, HM chips, LO beans & some of the freshly cooked beetroot

Difficult to say - I've now had four of them. I'm comparing them to the L1dl 6-packs (about £1.05).... (not the identical 4ldi ones as they're not as good).

I think the WP sausage rolls are worth buying, but I am undecided if they're better than the L1dl ones. There's certainly more pastry - and the meat bit is about the same size, but the L1dl ones are a bit longer and, I think, seasoned a little more. Having said L1dl are longer, there are 6 in their packs, so quantity wise I'd need to weigh two packs to see :)

In short: if I get caught short and am in 4ldi and want sausage rolls I won't go out of my way to go to L1dl to buy them, I'll just pop into £land next door and be happy enough with these.

If I HAD to choose... if the two packs were in front of me and I had to pick one up ... I think I'd choose the L1dl ones because they feel a tiny bit meatier in texture and are a little more flavoursome/seasoned.

But there's very little in it.

Today's total foodathon has so far been:

hash brown/scrambled eggs/beans; 2 sausage rolls; chocolates; an oven bottom muffin filled with tomatoes/salad cream; 2 sausage rolls; chocolates....

And I've another muffin filled with tomatoes and a boiled egg all wrapped up in the fridge. That might get eaten tonight, or it might survive until tomorrow.... when it comes to food that's just sitting there... you can never tell what you'll fancy :)
  • PasturesNew
    ..... The sun stayed out for us, but it was a bit chilly in the shade....

Should've gone inside.... ice skating :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,
    Glad you had a nice day out flubberyzing:).
    It's blinking cold here this evening, I've just popped the heating on and poured a glass of red so between the two of those any lingering chills will be banished.
    I has a lazy afternoon as didn't feel like doing much and had nothing pressing to do. After this morning's library trip I had plenty of reading matter to choose from so happily "lost" a few hours in a book:D.
    Easy dinner tonight of chicken goujons in a mini wrap with salad and baked potato skins. I want to make a batch of mash tomorrow and as the spuds I have at the moment have nice unblemished skins I thought I'd be very :money:and use them up:).
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,215 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Pie, beans & chips scoffed, tasty as expected. Sometimes the quick and easy meals are the best

Thanks for sausage roll report PN, nice to know there's a choice around. Mind I'm not a big buyer of them so expect either shop to go belly up if relying on me to buy a pack of them

Rump steak tomorrow, I'm about to mix up the Flubberyzing ex Jamie Oliver marinade to get the steak soaking in the fridge overnight.
    If all well it's rump steak, chips & salad for Sunday dinner
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Light lunch at the garden centre, I asked my sister if this makes us old ladies :p we were some of the youngest there :D just a jacket potato with salad, it was nice to be sitting outside in Tee shirts at the end of September enjoying the sunshine. It's only a 20 minute walk from my sister's house so we got some steps in as well.

Haven't needed to eat yet so I'm watching Strictly and thinking cheese and apple once it's finished :) I'll just have to think what to do with the aubergine and courgette tomorrow it may end up as veg lasagna but still thinking about that it could be something simpler just not fancying ratatouille but that may change
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Brambling this is good and scales down just fine courgette and aubergine parmiagiana
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 September 2018 at 8:22PM
    caronc wrote: »
    Brambling this is good and scales down just fine courgette and aubergine parmiagiana

Thanks Caronc, I have all the ingredients in :) I could make that and some soup at the same time tomorrow afternoon

To be MSE I'll can roast some beetroot and squash when the oven is on
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback