3 hours on a brokedown train for a 5 min journey - compensation?

Hi all

New here, so sorry if this is on the wrong forum. On Saturday I planned a nice retail therapy trip with my mum, who lives a while away so I barely get to see her. She spent the early morning travelling up to my hometown and I met her at the station.

The shopping mall is another 5 min train journey out, so we hopped on the next train available together, however, 3 mins into the Journey the train broke down... for 3 hours!

There were no catering facilities on board the train, and the mechanical toilet door wouldn't open for the vast majority of the time due to an electrical fault.

The train was finally fixed, and they decided to send it back to my hometown station rather than travel 2 mins to the next station, which meant that we had to start out journey again... we finally got to the shopping mall 4 hours after we should have originally, meaning it was quite late in the day and ridiculously busy - we wanted to get in early so we could spend more quality time without the crowds, but instead it ended up as a rush job as mum had to head back home.

My ticket was less than £3 so I feel it's a bit laughable using the Delay Repay service for a measly £1.50! Just wondered if I'm sounding brat-ish if I made a complaint for the 'emotional distress', or if they actually do provide additional compensation for things like this?

Comments

• No. 'Emotional distress' isn't covered, even if it's caused by a lack of retail therapy.
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Think of it as a positive as you got to spend a lot of uninterrupted time with your Mum who you don't see often.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You should claim the repay. Why should they have it when it's yours.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 September 2019 at 10:16AM
    lottie_dee wrote: »
    Hi all

New here, so sorry if this is on the wrong forum. On Saturday I planned a nice retail therapy trip with my mum, who lives a while away so I barely get to see her. She spent the early morning travelling up to my hometown and I met her at the station.

The shopping mall is another 5 min train journey out, so we hopped on the next train available together, however, 3 mins into the Journey the train broke down... for 3 hours!

There were no catering facilities on board the train, and the mechanical toilet door wouldn't open for the vast majority of the time due to an electrical fault.

The train was finally fixed, and they decided to send it back to my hometown station rather than travel 2 mins to the next station, which meant that we had to start out journey again... we finally got to the shopping mall 4 hours after we should have originally, meaning it was quite late in the day and ridiculously busy - we wanted to get in early so we could spend more quality time without the crowds, but instead it ended up as a rush job as mum had to head back home.

My ticket was less than £3 so I feel it's a bit laughable using the Delay Repay service for a measly £1.50! Just wondered if I'm sounding brat-ish if I made a complaint for the 'emotional distress', or if they actually do provide additional compensation for things like this?

Well worth the money, as you spent extra time with your mum in conversation instead of wandering around doing retail therapy. In a shopping centre. Americans have Malls?

But if you want to claim money back on ticket its usually full refund if over an hour delay.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hasbeen wrote: »
    Well worth the money, as you spent extra time with your mum in conversation instead of wandering around doing retail therapy. In a shopping centre. Americans have Malls?

But if you want to claim money back on ticket its usually full refund if over an hour delay.

perhaps the £3 was for a return? I think you only get refuinded for the portion of the journey which was delayed
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    perhaps the £3 was for a return? I think you only get refuinded for the portion of the journey which was delayed

Depends on company? But would expect 100% refund for 3 hrs delay.

Perhaps Lottie will tell us if she ever comes back.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure