Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Good Payiing in system for charities

hi I run a charity and I recently setup a bank account how ever we have money coming in on a monthly basis but we need to pay our staff so how do we simply pay our staff

is it through bank transfer or through payslips or how do we pay staff a wage to live off

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    How do you want to pay them ? You can use little brown envelopes with cash in or you can use Faster Payments. There is a myriad of payroll solutions out there, a lot being dependant on how many staff you have.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    hi I run a charity and I recently setup a bank account how ever we have money coming in on a monthly basis but we need to pay our staff so how do we simply pay our staff

is it through bank transfer or through payslips or how do we pay staff a wage to live off

How long have you been "running" the charity?

What business experience do the people running the charity have?
  • tehone
    tehone Posts: 640 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary

I'm slightly worried that you appear to not have a clue how to run a charity properly - are you a registered charity (or are you an exempt one)?

You will need to give staff payslips regardless of the method of actual payment, not to mention paying tax, NI, pensions, Student loan deductions etc.

It also worth mentioning Minimum Wage legislation to ensure that you are paying staff at least the minimum wage, and a whole host of other legislation.

In answer to your question, I would expect most people would expect to be paid by BACS in to their bank account
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    tehone wrote: »
    I'm slightly worried that you appear to not have a clue how to run a charity properly
    Plus one ...

Are you registered as an employer with HMRC (or are you exempt)? Do you understand how to run payroll, what deductions to make etc?

Do your staff have contracts of employment? Do you understand what these mean in terms of holiday pay, notice periods, SSP, SMP, SPP, SPL etc?

If no to any of the above, get professional help, sooner rather than later.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport