Small supplier Eversmart Energy stops trading - MSE News

Options
Eversmart Energy, a small energy supplier with about 29,000 domestic customers, has stopped trading. If you're a customer, your energy supply will continue as normal – here's what else you need to know...
Read the full story:
'Small supplier Eversmart Energy stops trading - what you need to know'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 September 2019 at 12:48PM
    Options
    May I suggest that Eversmart customers log on and download all your history before the website shuts down. It's also a good idea to read and photograph your meters so you are in a good position to help yourself when the account is transferred to another supplier.

Those who put a bit of effort in at this stage will have significantly less hassle than those who just hope it will all come out in the wash.

I bet there are still some IRESA customers who are still arguing about their accounts and wish they'd done a bit more when IRESA went bust.

We've just transferred away to Symbio and are a few quid in credit with Eversmart but as I control our account pretty closely it's not a kings ransom if we have to wait some time to recover it. We'd already closed our DD.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    May I suggest that Eversmart customers log on and download all your history before the website shuts down. It's also a good idea to read and photograph your meters so you are in a good position to help yourself when the account is transferred to another supplier.

Those who put a bit of effort in at this stage will have significantly less hassle than those who just hope it will all come out in the wash. . . .
    Excellent advice. Eversmart customers would be well advised to heed it.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I see that the Octopus spammers are out already. I'm sure the Bulb ones will be along shortly!
  • SonOfPearl
    Options
    Surely it's about time that the Government (or the relevant regulator) introduced tighter rules for companies setting up as energy suppliers? Whatever the current process is, it's clearly not working because far too many new suppliers fold quite quickly leaving a mess behind them.
  • UnclaimedEnergy
    Options
    Tighter rules are now in place since April I believe it was April anyway

Suppliers going bust since then (URE, Solarplicity, Eversmart, Cardiff Energy Supply) were already energy suppliers in the market.

We're likely to see more exits than entrants over the next couple of years, whether or not that's a positive or negative is another question.
  • SonOfPearl
    Options
    Tighter rules are now in place since April I believe it was April anyway

Suppliers going bust since then (URE, Solarplicity, Eversmart, Cardiff Energy Supply) were already energy suppliers in the market.

We're likely to see more exits than entrants over the next couple of years, whether or not that's a positive or negative is another question.

Thanks, that's good to know. Clearly a balance needs to be stuck between encouraging healthy competition whilst keeping out companies who just don't have the resources to enter the market successfully.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SonOfPearl wrote: »
    . . . Clearly a balance needs to be stuck between encouraging healthy competition whilst keeping out companies who just don't have the resources to enter the market successfully.
    When the enrgy market was liberalised Ofgem wanted energy customers to switch at all costs (which, of course, the customer picks up). They are now learning (oh so slowly) the error of their ways.

They are now blindly encouraging the energy suppliers to install smart meters at any cost (which again, their customers pick up).

As usual, it will be too late for the customers when Ofgem finally learns the error of its ways on this one too.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

With some amazing foresight I did it this morning!
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,523 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

Those who put a bit of effort in at this stage will have significantly less hassle than those who just hope it will all come out in the wash.

I bet there are still some IRESA customers who are still arguing about their accounts and wish they'd done a bit more when IRESA went bust.

We've just transferred away to Symbio and are a few quid in credit with Eversmart but as I control our account pretty closely it's not a kings ransom if we have to wait some time to recover it. We'd already closed our DD.

Agreed. Case in point.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-your-money-49599007

However as regards that case £35 a month for energy doesn't appear to be much, even if it is a small property.

I hope she has records that it was adequate for what she was using as the figure requested could be correct.
  • bufferz
    bufferz Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Just downloaded every invoice from Oct 2017....only £64 in credit, but looks like the hunt for a new supplier is on... question is, do I cancel the DD anyway
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback