Is it acceptable to order a kids meal as an adult?

Is it okay to order a kids meal at a restaurant if you're a fully-grown adult? Some restaurants don't let you, is there a reason behind this?

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 March 2019 at 1:15PM
    Probably because the children are accompanied by at least one adult, who will pay the full whack.

That said, Mr S and I can't manage a full panini and salad etc each for lunch - so we order one and ask for two plates. Never been refused yet.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    SamOli94 wrote: »
    Is it okay to order a kids meal at a restaurant if you're a fully-grown adult? Some restaurants don't let you, is there a reason behind this?

It's a commercial decision by the restaurant.

They're essentially offering a cheaper deal for children, just like many attractions, buses, trains etc offer cheaper tickets for children than for adults.

(Providing a kid's meal will cost almost the same as providing an adult meal - the time spent cooking it, serving it etc. And a child will take up the same amount of restaurant seating space as an adult.

So the restaurant is essentially offering a special discount for children, and they may not want to offer the same discount to adults.)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I've had fast food kids meals. There was 1 time my 10yo had an adult meal and I had the kids meal. I felt really embarrassed eating it though when the waitress came over I said she didn't like it so we swapped! I do get kids desserts though. They're exactly the same but cheaper.
  • I've been known to eat a Happy Meal as a grown adult! However as others have said, it's usually that the cost of a child's meal is set at a concessionary rate in some restaurants and is therefore not extended to adults as a general rule.
  • Peter999_2
    Peter999_2 Posts: 985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ricky Gervais covers this in after life. It's quite funny.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    IME, many places will do a smaller portion at a smaller price if you ask.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    pogofish wrote: »
    IME, many places will do a smaller portion at a smaller price if you ask.

Or have a starter instead. Some starters are so big, I'd never be able to eat one and a main meal.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    A lot of places around here offer pensioners portions, half portions or box the rest of your meal up to take home

I often order pensioner meals even though Im somewhere off it yet as I don't want a huge meal and I hate food waste
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Only if you sit on the little kiddies' chairs.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    My mate does this all the time in all sorts of places and I don't think anywhere has said no when I've been there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure