PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord wants more money

Options
Ok so in February myself, husband and children moved over 2.5hrs from our home town.
To a private rented house, all done via an estate agent.

At the start of the tenancy we paid feb, march & april rent upfront and another month upfront as a deposit.

We were told it would be a 12month tenancy however it was for 6 months, which we didnt realsie until we got here and signed for the house.

We then paid , May, June & July upfront which is nearly £2500, which was fine, we had it and its nice to be paid up and not worry about it. However, it is not in the agreement, we just did it as felt it was right for us.

We had a check at the home after 3 months here, all was fine and happy, estate agent offered us to renew our tenancy at the end of 6months to a 12month tenancy.
She send it out, signed and everything.
We took our part back to be told the landlord doesnt want it to be 12months incase he needs the house back (lives away)
So changed it their end to 6months
I have the original here for 365days signed.
Never had a revised 6month one sent out.

We have had a lot of business problems, being stung for nearly 20k, and at one point wondered how on earth we were going to put food on the table.

August i paid 1 months rent.
So this month, on the 1st i was going to pay another month, until we are in a position to pay more in advance.
Ive just recieved an email stating the landlord wants 3 months in advance and because August is paid, can we now pay September & October.

I'm really worried, im going to try get it up together, however I'm so worried if i can't will he make us leave?
We have other things to pay and I'm not sure what to do.
We have never been late or behind, only early and more than expected.

I just dont know where i stand if i say i cant afford to pay this time around more than required?

Comments

• AndyTails
    AndyTails Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    What does your contract say? The last contract that was signed by both you and either the landlord or the landlord's representative.

(It's unclear to me whether the 12-month "signed" one was signed by both parties or not. It's clear the most recent 6-month one wasn't signed by you.)

The contract will state whether you have to pay 3 months in advance or 1 month at a time.

If you don't have a current valid fixed term contract then you're on a periodic contract, the terms of which will either be set out in your last valid fixed term contract, or if no terms for periodic were stated then it just carries on whatever was in that contract.
  • Jm90
    Jm90 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry.
    The original 6 month contract was signed by both us and the estate agents.
    They then sent via post, 2 copies of a 12 month tenancy already both signed by them, asking me to sign both and return one to them.
    I did this, they then said the landlord had changed his mind and only wants it to be 6months at a time.
    They would change the contract their end to 6months.
    I never received a new one, so have a tenancy signed by both parties for 12 months.

Only says we have to pay £x amount per month not three months at a time
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jm90 wrote: »
    I never received a new one, so have a tenancy signed by both parties for 12 months.

Only says we have to pay £x amount per month not three months at a time

Then this is the latest contract and what you must abide by. Absolutely no need to pay any more rent up front. Just continue to pay monthly and refer them back to the latest SIGNED contract.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • PuzzledDave
    Options
    They then sent via post, 2 copies of a 12 month tenancy already both signed by them, asking me to sign both and return one to them.
    I did this,

Job done.

Just tell them that you appreciate the offer to change the terms and conditions, but you are perfectly happy with the dual signed contract dated xx/yy/zz terms as is and look forward to both parties completing their agreed obligations both contractual and legal in good faith.
  • Jm90
    Options
    Thank you for replying, if i was to reply this to the estate agent, could he, if he wanted hand us our 2 months notice?
    The last payment was the 31st July ready for the 1st August, I'm unsure why they left it this late to raise it as an issue.
    I don't mind paying the three months up front if we had it, but right now we just don't and for us to get it together means not paying other bills.
  • Jm90
    Options
    By he, i mean the landlord. If he felt annoyed about us not doing as he wanted.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You have a 12 month contract from when you resigned. As long as you pay your rent monthly as requested in the contract and abide by all the other things in your contract then no you cannot be given notice as you are in a fixed term.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You’ve already made a legally binding agreement.
    He’s not being reasonable in demanding changes.

How do you think it would go down if you offered to pay later?
    Or leave early?
    Or pay less?

Exactly !
  • Jm90
    Options
    Thank you, sorry we are new to private renting, never felt so worried about about these types of things before.

Thanks again all.

So the 12 month contract i am in possession of still counts even though they have changed it to 6months their end?
    They took the back sheet from the one we changed and used that. We did not re sign anything.
  • Jm90
    Options
    Sorry, sorting children & typing

They took the back sheet from the one we signed i meant.
    And i guess replaced the pages on the front to say 6months instead of 12.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure