Primark have changed refund/exchange policy?

I tried to take something back to primark without a receipt but apparently they've changed their policy and will only take items back with a valid receipt - is this true? I thought shops had to offer an exchange if the customer didn't have a receipt? My receipt got thrown out accidentally so I don't have it anymore :-( I'm guessing they'll only take things back without a receipt if it's faulty?

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Shops don't have to offer any return policy for items bought in store*. So they can set the rules if they do offer returns

*Your consumer rights in case of faulty goods are not affected.
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Apparently it's always been their policy, it's just now that they're enforcing it.
  • amcl
    amcl Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I tried to take something back to primark without a receipt but apparently they've changed their policy and will only take items back with a valid receipt - is this true? I thought shops had to offer an exchange if the customer didn't have a receipt? My receipt got thrown out accidentally so I don't have it anymore :-( I'm guessing they'll only take things back without a receipt if it's faulty?

Did you pay by card? I was in the queue at customer service last week and a man was trying to exchange a jacket for a different size without a receipt. At first the assistant declined but then after some polite persistance and him mentioning he paid by card, the assistant spoke to her supervisor and got authority to bring up the transaction on their system using his card details. So I guess it is possible but may depend on the discretion of the assistant or supervisor.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    With faulty items you do not need a receipt. But you do need to show proof of purchase. This is not something Primark can opt out of, it's part of the consumer rights act. It would be different if the item was not faulty, then you would need a receipt and any store would be in their rights to refuse a refund or replacement even if you had a receipt. But not if the item is faulty.
  • Did you pay by card? I was in the queue at customer service last week and a man was trying to exchange a jacket for a different size without a receipt. At first the assistant declined but then after some polite persistance and him mentioning he paid by card, the assistant spoke to her supervisor and got authority to bring up the transaction on their system using his card details. So I guess it is possible but may depend on the discretion of the assistant or supervisor.

I tried this and they told me they needed the till Details from the original receipt
  • This happened to me the other day, when I lost the receipt. I couldn't even exchange for a different size. I won't buy anything there again. I don't appreciate being treated like a thief.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    This happened to me the other day, when I lost the receipt. I couldn't even exchange for a different size. I won't buy anything there again. I don't appreciate being treated like a thief.
    How did they treat you like a thief?

Why would you expect to return something without a receipt?
    Primark's exchange/refund policy (for change of mind) goes further than the law says they have to.
  • brewthebear
    brewthebear Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Without a receipt how can you prove purchase. Could have just picked it up off the rack and taken to refund/return till. That is why they have that policy and always have done.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This happened to me the other day, when I lost the receipt. I couldn't even exchange for a different size. I won't buy anything there again. I don't appreciate being treated like a thief.

I think you completely miss the point. A change of mind refund is a goodwill gesture, they have no obligation to do so however they allow it with a receipt. It isn't difficult or clever, no receipt means no refund.

I'm sure they won't miss you as a customer especially if you think not allowing you a refund means they thought you were a thief.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,184 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Without a receipt how can you prove purchase. Could have just picked it up off the rack and taken to refund/return till. That is why they have that policy and always have done.

My local store had real issues with that under the old rules, it was really blatant. Take something from a shelf, carry it around for a while then pretend to drag it out of a bag when you get to CS and get a refund.

Absolutely blatant
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure