Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 11th Oct 17, 3:07 PM
    • 2,658Posts
    • 1,097Thanks
    Cotta
    Your 2017 Financial Review thus Far
    • 11th Oct 17, 3:07 PM
    Your 2017 Financial Review thus Far 11th Oct 17 at 3:07 PM
    Hi All,

With 2017 now in its final quarter, I thought it would be interesting to look at our money successes and failures of 2017.

My best piece of information came from this forum which was to setup a regular saver and treat it like an expense each month. I ended up tightening my belt but eventually I began building a fairly decent savings base for the first time in over five years. Whilst I have still much work to do on this front the signs are positive. It has now put me in a position to consider looking at some small investments.

Financially how has 2017 been treating everyone?
    Last edited by Cotta; 11-10-2017 at 3:17 PM.
Page 2
    • AlanP
    • By AlanP 13th Oct 17, 11:01 AM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    AlanP
    Having a very good year so far, touch wood:

Net Worth (excluding house but including mortgage up by 100%)

Excluding DC pension savings from above, Assets - Liabilities is up by 68.4%

Pensions, Savings & Mortgage are being aggresively "managed" to get to that position.

Spending is actively managed but not squeezed - we have had a long haul holiday and spent some on new fencing, about £11k in total which has been funded from income and savings.
    Last edited by AlanP; 13-10-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 18th Oct 17, 10:17 AM
    • 2,658 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    Cotta
    This is my end of September figure, so it's actually £1,049 average per month

Well done on your RS, how much have you saved so far?
    Originally posted by tara747
    Only £4k so I am well behind you.
    • george4064
    • By george4064 24th Nov 17, 10:43 PM
    • 916 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    george4064
    ISA portfolio is up 15% this year (since 31st December 2016).
    £9,829 saved this year (so far!)

Total assets up 24% this year.
    Originally posted by george4064
    Thought I'd give this thread a bump.

ISA Portfolio is up 16.86% since 31/12/16. Got a few dividend payments due 31/12/2017 which should give it a final boost.
    "If you arenít willing to own a stock for ten years, donít even think about owning it for ten minutesĒ Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2016 - #045 £10,358.81/£12,000 (86%)
    Save £12k in 2017 - #003 £12,427.51/£12,000 (104%)
    Save £12k in 2018 - #004 £2,784.34/£12,000 (23%)
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 25th Nov 17, 8:16 AM
    • 2,230 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    Alexland
    Calendar year 2017 has been so generous to investors it would be very hard not to show gains. Our net worth is up around £150k of which some is retained income and the rest is house price and fund growth and accumulation.

Still I remain bearish that it could all reverse out tomorrow if market conditions change. Keeps me sane.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 25th Nov 17, 9:46 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    My investments are up between 20% and nearly 50% over the last two years or so. I am mainly in the UK and Europe with some Japan. I consolidated most of my pensions into a SIPP, and moved ISA funds over to You Invest, not the cheapest platform admittedly. Being able to see everything from one site is so convenient. The fund comparison tools available today are amazing, 20 years ago it was much harder to do research, I think I lucked out back then when choosing some funds.

I think we are due a crash, be that next month, or in a few years, but I'll just batten down the hatches, and ignore the sound of the storm till the sun returns. I'm of the view that exposure to risk within reason is the route to long term gains.

Surely not, the trump rally is never ending, that's you negative liberal new Englanders for you.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Niall Ferguson s predicting a large crash in the near future. you can Google to read his explanation. Not what you'd call a liberal. And I am sure Brexit proper will trigger a crash in the UK, how big is anyone's guess. As with most crashes, the trigger is not the cause, the cause being pent up instability.

Mmm, just realised that last quote might have been sarcasm!
    Last edited by BananaRepublic; 25-11-2017 at 9:48 AM.
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 25th Nov 17, 10:09 AM
    • 605 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    After perpetually being in unaffordable debt, for the last decade, this year was the year I actually started looking forward, not back.

Defaults paid off, and/or dropped off my credit file, allowed me to start applying for accounts that would make me money, rather than the other way round. Opened many bank accounts for interest/rewards/bonus. Currently bringing in approx £30 a month. Now looking at opening regular savers, and begin cycling money through those too.

Currently saved close to £8K. Although that has been offset with new debt, from stoozing. About 50% of money saved.

Lifetime ISA opened, ready for first dump of £4000, at the end of the tax year.

Next year I start looking even further ahead, and upping pension contributions.
    Not in a position to consider S&S yet. That may come further down the line, though.

It's all been very positive.
    • BLB53
    • By BLB53 25th Nov 17, 10:52 AM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    BLB53
    All good so far with investments. Largest chunk in Lifestrategy 60 up around 8% but some ITs are doing v well - Scottish Morgage up 40%, Aberforth 24% and TR Property up 30%. The average works out at ~12% with dividends.

I have had a good run for several years but I suspect there couldl be a reversal maybe next year and I have been reducing my equities and putting more in bonds and cash in recent weeks.
    If you choose index funds you can never outperform the market.
    If you choose managed funds there's a high probability you will underperform index funds.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 25th Nov 17, 11:06 AM
    • 58,182 Posts
    • 51,555 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Niall Ferguson s predicting a large crash in the near future. you can Google to read his explanation. Not what you'd call a liberal. And I am sure Brexit proper will trigger a crash in the UK, how big is anyone's guess. As with most crashes, the trigger is not the cause, the cause being pent up instability.
    Originally posted by BananaRepublic
    Global levels of debt and how Central Banks are going to unwind their stimulus packages are the key issues. Seems to be a gut instinct prevailing that choppier waters lie ahead in the not to distant future listening to a number of market commentatators.

While large gains are all very welcome. Investment of new money is only going to result in lower returns. You can only eat the cake once.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 25th Nov 17, 12:52 PM
    • 2,230 Posts
    • 1,623 Thanks
    Alexland
    While large gains are all very welcome. Investment of new money is only going to result in lower returns. You can only eat the cake once.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Until, if you wait long enough, someone makes more cake!

I am not leaving the cake factory while we wait for more ingredients. Although their protocol of removing cake I have already eaten in the meantime is rather unpleasant.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 25-11-2017 at 3:04 PM.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 25th Nov 17, 2:24 PM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    TheShape
    I have been keeping a spreadsheet since March of this year to keep a track of all my savings and investments. The only thing that doesn't feature on there is my Civil Service Pension as I'm not sure how to record its value.

My net wealth has increased on average by a little over £1000 per month for the last 9 months and £1500 per month for the last 6 months which I think is a rather impressive result given my net pay of around £1700 p/m.

It has been very reliant on strong investment returns, high-risk p2p lending and a stooz-pot larger than my gross annual income but going forward I intend to reduce my p2p exposure relative to other investments and take greater advantage of tax-relief on pension investments and the govt bonus on LISA subscriptions. A big crash in equities will make the spreadsheet look a lot less appealing but it will help those monthly subscriptions to my SIPP, S&S ISA, LISA buy a lot more.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 25th Nov 17, 6:33 PM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 7,604 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    This has been the year of my investment light bulb moment. I have stoozed for years and used this to leave just £45k left on the mortgage with 10 years to go, but not really thought about investment or pensions. As I approached my 50th Birthday I realised it was somewhat overdue to start thinking about retirement- better late than never!
    I have a number of personal/ dormant pensions from previous employment so I have opened a SIPP and transferred the first one in. Unfortunately I chose Interactive Investor just before the TD deal was announced so am now having to wait for all the platform changes to settle before I do any more transfers. Some of my old pensions have pretty high charges and limited investment options so I am taking control.
    DH has built up more pension pot than me as I went part time till DD was 9. I made some big AVCs this year to address this a bit.
    We now have £60k between us in S&S ISAs in VLS60 and will continue to add the max each year. This will help to keep the tax bill down and provide funds when we retire early at 60. We have some big expenses coming up which are DD related (2 yrs school fees if she changes for 6th form, followed by 5 yr degree) so we will definitely work till she graduates.
    I have also dabbled in P2P which has been educational- no bad debt so far which is good.
    I started this year knowing nothing but a lot of reading on here and a few books and websites has got me to a place where I feel comfortable with taking control of at least some of the pension funds. I now also know how our portfolio is distributed which has been eye opening. DH had no idea that one of his pots with over £200k in it was entirely in equities- he was probably asked a question about attitude to risk when he started it nearly 30 years ago and it has never been changed.
    I look forward to continuing to learn
    • username12345678
    • By username12345678 25th Nov 17, 6:45 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    username12345678
    Some major financial changes this year for me:

1. Mortgage paid off

2. DB pension cashed out

The performance of my SIPP since the end of March is +3% .
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 25th Nov 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    Zola.
    Portfolio up 7% overall.

Been a very expensive year with getting married, travelling and changing the car.

Main things improved this year:

- Less money spent on crap / Less desire to spend money on crap

- Upped pension contributions from 10% to 15%

- More money invested in S&S ISA, upped direct debit and will again in Jan.

- Mortgage overpayments started on a monthly basis via standing order into a separate account since returning to work from honeymoon

- Tracking every single expenditure in a Google spreadsheet, helps to stay truthful to myself

Plenty of tweaks and improvements to make still
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 25th Nov 17, 10:18 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Looks like I'll be up at least 18% this year, which is insane because that's 20X my annual spending. I've maxed out my self employed pension. 2017 is going down as one of the great years....this investing thing is easy........until........
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 26th Nov 17, 12:43 AM
    • 58,182 Posts
    • 51,555 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Until, if you wait long enough, someone makes more cake!
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Or the slices get smaller and smaller.......
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 26th Nov 17, 12:46 AM
    • 58,182 Posts
    • 51,555 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Looks like I'll be up at least 18% this year, which is insane because that's 20X my annual spending. I've maxed out my self employed pension. 2017 is going down as one of the great years....this investing thing is easy........until........
    Originally posted by bostonerimus
    Care to name 20 major international companies whose profits are up 18%......... or is it money looking for a home.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 26th Nov 17, 4:35 AM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Care to name 20 major international companies whose profits are up 18%......... or is it money looking for a home.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    It's all reinvested dividends or gains in retirement accounts and regular accounts. The bubble will pop at some point, but I'm investing for the next 30 years and I'm not taking any income so equities are the place to be. However as Bette Davis said it's going to be bumpy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKHUGvde7KU
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • TomSurrey
    • By TomSurrey 26th Nov 17, 10:31 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    TomSurrey
    Not sure the right way of doing this, but good to review towards the end of the year, couple with average age of 40

Income
    - joint gross income has gone up from c£180k to c£250k

Investments
    - joint assets / net worth have gone up from c£850k to c£1.1m
    - saving rate of about 40%, pushing this up now our incomes have gone up, my other half is maxing our her pension allowance this year
    - investment return rate, equities @ 15.6%, property 7% (leveraged so the real rate is much higher than this)

Personal
    - got married, moved jobs so I!!!8217;m much happier
    • Prism
    • By Prism 26th Nov 17, 10:37 AM
    • 286 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Prism
    My pension fund is up 21% in 2017 not including my additional contributions. Its been an ok year for equities but not quite as good as others before it. I'm not concerned too much about a market crash as I have still got plenty of time to recover and I would say that my portfolio is defensive enough. When I get to about 5 years from retirement I will make some changes.

I only wished that I had taken a bit more care of my pension fund a bit earlier rather than leaving it in the standard mid level risk multi asset fund that I picked all those years ago.
    • pip895
    • By pip895 26th Nov 17, 11:20 AM
    • 570 Posts
    • 318 Thanks
    pip895
    My fairly cautious portfolio is up 14%, not as good as 2016 yet but with the big pound devaluation during 2016 that's not really surprising.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,072Posts Today

5,921Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin