Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • batesy2000
    • By batesy2000 11th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 47Posts
    • 1Thanks
    CSA to CMS arrears confusion
    • #1
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    CSA to CMS arrears confusion 11th Oct 17 at 6:14 PM
    Okay, here goes.

    Child no longer qualifies for maintenance.
    Received a CSA letter about arrears of 3500. I said I could pay 2000. They said fine if resident parent agreed
    The resident parent didn't respond to any communications from the CSA. I haven't any contact details for her.
    CSA said not much they can do especially as cases migrating the CMS Sept/Oct so advised to cease arrear payments and see if the resident parent contacts the CSA or CMS.

    I've now received a CSA letter reminding me if the arrears abd it will be moving to CMS
    I've also received a letter from the CMS about the arrears saying they intend to recoup them and that I should contact them and not wait to be contacted by them.

    What do I do especially as the arrears are high and the resident parent wouldn't even reply to the CSA.

    Also, let's say I have to pay to the resident parent.
    Direct pay will be a problem as we've had no contact for 21 years.
    Doesn't the resident parent have to contact the CMS to request payment/chase up of arrears and pay 20 in order to do so or is this chase up purely from the change from CSA to CMS?
    I still have the bank details the CSA gave me to pay maintenance via bank transfer so would I use those for direct pay and avoid the 20% fee the CMS have for collect and pay.
Page 1
    • cte1111
    • By cte1111 11th Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    • 7,265 Posts
    • 385,695 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    • #2
    • 11th Oct 17, 6:55 PM
    My experience (from the other side) was that neither the CSA or CMS do anything at all without continual chasing and usually not until I put in a formal complaint.

    If you know you have child maintenance arrears and have the money to pay them, then why haven't you? You said you've been given your ex partner's bank details, so go for it, clear your debt and support your child. Make sure you mark the payment(s) Child Support, so it is clear if this ever is challenged.
    • batesy2000
    • By batesy2000 11th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    • #3
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • #3
    • 11th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    I only had the 2000 after borrowing it from my father. I gave it back after the resident parent failed to respond to any attempts of the CSA to contact her.

    As it stands i cant afford the 3500 owed outright.

    I'm not sure if the bank details are hers or the CSA (or am I being stupid)
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 12th Oct 17, 12:16 AM
    • 387 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    • #4
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:16 AM
    • #4
    • 12th Oct 17, 12:16 AM
    You will likely only be put on collect and pay if you don!!!8217;t cooperate.

    So as requested and contact the CMS they are likely then to arrange monthly payments direct and will let you know how to proceed. If they can!!!8217;t contact her they will let you know what to do next. If they manage to get in contact with her then you will at least get up to date bank details for payment.

    It won!!!8217;t go away unless it!!!8217;s either paid or they close the case.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,702Posts Today

9,814Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

  • RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

  • It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book

  • Follow Martin