PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Served notice a week after asking for repairs - Private tenant

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I can't see anything on the list that wasn't relatively easily fixed.

A quick google gives you lots of ways to fix a leaking mixer tap.

But as they have now issues an S21, why not just get on with looking for another house?

If you are thinking of paying for solicitor advice, then I wouldn't bother. Revenge eviction is more like landlords refusing to fix major issues, not little things like this. I fear a court case would make you look like a serial moaner about little things and the LL had just had enough.

People ARE nice and helpful on here. Perhaps they were not just quite the answers you were expecting?

But you wouldn't want to go spending money on solicitors when it is not necessary... this is MSE after all.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    This forum used to be frequented by people with courtesy and respect.....

Some of you have made me feel about an inch tall......Thanks a lot
    We all thought that in your original post you were asking for proper legal advice dependant on the circumstances that you outlined, if you only wanted answers that told you what you wanted to hear then you should have said so in the first place.
  • indierocker85
    indierocker85 Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Slithery wrote: »
    We all thought that in your original post you were asking for proper legal advice dependant on the circumstances that you outlined, if you only wanted answers that told you what you wanted to hear then you should have said so in the first place.

And so it continues......

I think advice can be given without making me both look like and feel like a fool.

Have a pleasant weekend won't you!
    Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    "No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent"

Eleanor Roosevelt
  • indierocker85
    Some of the responses above have really made me feel absolutely ridiculous and like my situation is menial.

These are over 5 years, not a very short period of time.

I question that the mold is lifestyle, we have a £150 dehumidifier to remove excess moisture. And we don't have a dryer. This mold was a concern due to my wife's asthma. It is easier said than done to open windows when we live on one of the busiest roads in our town....but we do try to do so.

Firstly, r.e the light fitting, an electrician friend of mine said the fitting could have "burned out" and went so far as to say it could be a fire risk. Though, he also said he couldn't replace it without her authorization, and they should get it done sharpish. Hence the sense of urgency, which my landlady didn't seem to share.

The bath panel was cracked and as I know what she is like, I replace it at my own expense.

One of the toilets (we have two) had a faulty flush valve and it just constantly filled with water, I had that replaced at my own cost.

R.E The boiler, it was about the bigger issues
    The back door is rotting (outside) - But she didn't batt an eyelid at that.

It isn't even just us, we have an elderly neighbour in the next house, same landlady. They didn't have a working kitchen tap (it sprayed everywhere) for around 9 months and the sink had a hole in it, which was patched up with some black tacky stuff........they simply don't seem to care.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    All houses will get mould if you do things that create steam like cooking or having baths or showers and you don't open the windows. The fact that the house is on a busy road and you don't like opening the window isn't the landlord's fault or a fault in the way the house was built. The fact that you have a dehumidifier means that you are taking out the moisture in the house that is being created by you in other ways and not vented to the outside. Modern houses are very well sealed so that they don't lose heat.

I still don't understand about the bath panel. Are you saying that you moved into a house with a cracked bath panel? If so why? The whole point of viewing a rented house before you move in is to see if it is in good repair as well as if the accommodation suits you. A broken bath panel in a house that is being let suggests that the landlord doesn't care very much.

Regarding the backdoor it sounds as if it needs painting. Have you reported the fact that it needs painting? You landlady can't see the outside unless she enters your garden. I don't go wandering around my tenant's back gardens.

Your electrician friend said it "could" have burned out not that it "had" burned out. He was correct that he couldn't replace it because it is the landlord's responsibility to replace it. The landlord gets to choose the electrician who may not be able to come for a few days. This is normal which you will find out if buy a house and have to call an electrician. It isn't abnormal to have to wait a few days for an electrician to attend even if you own the house. You landlord can't force the electrician to come earlier if it doesn't suit them.

So with all this going on you will be pleased to move won't you?
  • indierocker85
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    All houses will get mould if you do things that create steam like cooking or having baths or showers and you don't open the windows. The fact that the house is on a busy road and you don't like opening the window isn't the landlord's fault or a fault in the way the house was built. The fact that you have a dehumidifier means that you are taking out the moisture in the house that is being created by you in other ways and not vented to the outside. Modern houses are very well sealed so that they don't lose heat.

I still don't understand about the bath panel. Are you saying that you moved into a house with a cracked bath panel? If so why? The whole point of viewing a rented house before you move in is to see if it is in good repair as well as if the accommodation suits you. A broken bath panel in a house that is being let suggests that the landlord doesn't care very much.

It was broken and didn't fit properly, but wasn't easy to spot until we put a towel over it and it bent inwards

Regarding the backdoor it sounds as if it needs painting. Have you reported the fact that it needs painting? You landlady can't see the outside unless she enters your garden. I don't go wandering around my tenant's back gardens.

We don't use the front door, due to it being on a main road as mentioned above, due to fear of the house cat bolting out. We use the back door as our main entrance and she couldn't help but miss the chunk of wood that has fallen off the bottom of it

So with all this going on you will be pleased to move won't you?

I guess so, just not really very prepared

The mold thing, we just have to deal with really, but as I said above, they just show a general disregard. And if you ask for anything to be fixed, you are made to feel like you are really putting them out......and hence when I put it in writing politely requesting it be repaired, this is the situation I am left in....
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2018 at 2:18AM
    Hi OP,
    I guess what people are getting at is that a rented house won't be perfect (just like owner occupied houses aren't perfect). In the case of non-urgent issues you could report periodically or at inspection saying "for information" but whether the landlord chooses to fix non urgent issues is really down to the type of landlord they are and if they are going to allow their house to become tired and run down. Obviously the condition should be reasonable and safe but by no means perfect. I think when you house hunt you need to look for a very property proud landlord or lower your expectations a little. A near perfect property will command a premium rent though.

Having no light in the living room might feel like an emergency but a broken pendant fitting doesn't mean no light. Plug in a lamp or two and you have a work around that many owner occupiers might use for ages (2 years in my case!).

A very property proud landlord will likely have high expectations of how you look after the property though so it's a two way thing. You do need to open your windows to ventilate even in winter especially if the property is well sealed rather than draughty. I turn the heating off and open everything up for 1/2 hour or more depending on how cold it is and how much I can stand, and then close them and put the heating back on. I think owner occupiers do this more readily because they care enough about the property to pay out to keep it in good condition. It is probably irritating to your landlord if you expect them to keep the property tip top but are not playing your part. It will be interesting if you do change your approach a little when you do buy.

When you do touch base with your landlord it's worth mentioning little jobs you have done so they recognise times when you are helpful tenants like letting them know we had a problem with the loo/tap but we have sorted it. In general I would say the gratitude of your landlord will help when you do need their assistance and avoid unfortunate situations like the one you are in. I'm sure some will think the landlord should fix every last little thing as that's what you pay them for but I think in a long term tenancy a tenant doing very everyday things like getting a new loo seat if the old one breaks helps to keep the repairs the landlord does need to do from feeling like endless and unecessary grumbles.

I'm sorry the thread has made you feel belittled but perhaps on reflection you can appreciate some people sincerely see things a little differently to you. if you can swallow your pride you could approach your landlord - writing would probably be best and why not tell them that after discussing with a few other people you can see that your expectations might be a bit high compared to a lot of other people and if you could both have a fresh start you would love that. I'm not suggesting your landlord has done no wrong but if a little humble pie saves you having to move when you are nearly ready to house hunt for your own purchase then you might as well. You can then serve your own notice in your own time when you buy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Tlc
    Edit: I lived in our property for a couple of years with no mould problems. Rented it out a couple of years and when I moved back in had to treat and paint a patch of mould and was gutted to see a few of our vertical blinds ruined by mould. Lived there a couple more years no problems, rented out and....complaints of mould. It is annoying as a landlord when mould is condensation based and I am supposed to magic it away when it is the tenants lifestyle that causes it.
  • indierocker85
    parkrunner wrote: »
    Apart from the light fitting these are all things I'd fix myself. If you're unhappy with the landladies then move, I'd imagine revenge evictions are pretty hard to prove. Also read this,

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/revenge_eviction_if_you_ask_for_repairs

If you receive a section 21 notice after you complain

A court will refuse to order your eviction if all of these apply:
    • you complained to your landlord or letting agent in writing before you received a section 21 notice
    • you complained to the local council because your landlord didn't take steps to fix the problem
    • the council sent your landlord a notice telling them to make improvements or saying it will do emergency work

I did the first of the three, I didn't have sufficient time (week between my letter to the landlady and their notice letter), or deem it neccessary to approach the council for a leaking tap.
  • indierocker85
    tlc678910 wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    I guess what people are getting at is that a rented house won't be perfect (just like owner occupied houses aren't perfect). In the case of non-urgent issues you could report periodically or at inspection saying "for information" but whether the landlord chooses to fix non urgent issues is really down to the type of landlord they are and if they are going to allow their house to become tired and run down. Obviously the condition should be reasonable and safe but by no means perfect. I think when you house hunt you need to look for a very property proud landlord or lower your expectations a little. A near perfect property will command a premium rent though.

Having no light in the living room might feel like an emergency but a broken pendant fitting doesn't mean no light. Plug in a lamp or two and you have a work around that many owner occupiers might use for ages (2 years in my case!).

A very property proud landlord will likely have high expectations of how you look after the property though so it's a two way thing. You do need to open your windows to ventilate even in winter especially if the property is well sealed rather than draughty. I turn the heating off and open everything up for 1/2 hour or more depending on how cold it is and how much I can stand, and then close them and put the heating back on. I think owner occupiers do this more readily because they care enough about the property to pay out to keep it in good condition. It is probably irritating to your landlord if you expect them to keep the property tip top but are not playing your part. It will be interesting if you do change your approach a little when you do buy.

When you do touch base with your landlord it's worth mentioning little jobs you have done so they recognise times when you are helpful tenants like letting them know we had a problem with the loo/tap but we have sorted it. In general I would say the gratitude of your landlord will help when you do need their assistance and avoid unfortunate situations like the one you are in. I'm sure some will think the landlord should fix every last little thing as that's what you pay them for but I think in a long term tenancy a tenant doing very everyday things like getting a new loo seat if the old one breaks helps to keep the repairs the landlord does need to do from feeling like endless and unecessary grumbles.

I'm sorry the thread has made you feel belittled but perhaps on reflection you can appreciate some people sincerely see things a little differently to you. if you can swallow your pride you could approach your landlord - writing would probably be best and why not tell them that after discussing with a few other people you can see that your expectations might be a bit high compared to a lot of other people and if you could both have a fresh start you would love that. I'm not suggesting your landlord has done no wrong but if a little humble pie saves you having to move when you are nearly ready to house hunt for your own purchase then you might as well. You can then serve your own notice in your own time when you buy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Tlc
    Edit: I lived in our property for a couple of years with no mould problems. Rented it out a couple of years and when I moved back in had to treat and paint a patch of mould and was gutted to see a few of our vertical blinds ruined by mould. Lived there a couple more years no problems, rented out and....complaints of mould. It is annoying as a landlord when mould is condensation based and I am supposed to magic it away when it is the tenants lifestyle that causes it.

I appreciate the detailed response, and I do agree with a lot of what you have said. Though, I do not believe I take any less pride in the house simply because I do not own it. If anything, that is why I contacted them r.e repairs, because a) I didn't want any further damage, i.e a light fitting catching fire, or damp spreading. I saw it that, well if this were my property, I'd want it bringing to my attention quick.

I have won awards in competitions for the garden at the property, which I take immense pride in, so inside needn't be any different.

You are right, in that we have paid to have repairs done ourselves. I would never be so trivial as to contact a landlady with something as daft as a toilet seat. But in the case of this tap, it is leaking an average of 6-12 liters a day, and given we are in the middle of the driest summer in 42 years AND we are on a water meter. I had a sense of urgency to it.......

As I only got married 5 years ago, and this is our first home together, perhaps we have a bit to learn r.e the do's and don'ts, to prevent mold etc. But I only came here for advice, not to be ridiculed. The thread did make me feel a bit belittled, but I guess the written word is easily mistook. I do maintain that one or two were intentionally sarcastic and patronizing, but I won't point out the ones I hold that opinion of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport