PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Names on deeds and mortgage different??

Hi all! So I am looking to buy a house with my partner with my mum giving/loaning us money for the deposit. The grand plan was for her to buy it with us rather than gifting me the money (which is then subject to capital gains tax) and therefore be on the deeds but not be on the mortgage. She won’t be living in the house. Is this allowed? To have two people on the mortgage but three on the deeds?
Thank you :)

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hali-5 wrote: »
    Hi all! So I am looking to buy a house with my partner with my mum giving/loaning us money for the deposit. The grand plan was for her to buy it with us rather than gifting me the money (which is then subject to capital gains tax) and therefore be on the deeds but not be on the mortgage. She won’t be living in the house. Is this allowed? To have two people on the mortgage but three on the deeds?
    Thank you :)

What is subject to Capital Gains Tax? The gift?

I think it might only be HSBC who will allow more people named on the deeds than the mortgage.

What is the objective here because there are alternative solutions which are better than what you are proposing. Does your mother want to gift you the money or does she want to lend you the money?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The grand plan was for her to buy it with us rather than gifting me the money (which is then subject to capital gains tax)

There's no tax on gifts.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    There's no tax on gifts.
    ...whereas mum's share of the property would be subject to CGT (assuming it's not also her principal residence).
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,690
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It would make more sense for her to take a second charge over the property to protect her "gift."

Some lenders will accept this.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    davidmcn wrote: »
    ...whereas mum's share of the property would be subject to CGT (assuming it's not also her principal residence).

Not if the money was a gift - she won't own a share of the property.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Not if the money was a gift - she won't own a share of the property.
    I was meaning if the OP is following their plan of mum owning a share of the property.
  • Hali-5
    Hali-5 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Ultimately the aim is to gift and currently trying to avoid the capital gains tax. We were under the impression that cash gifts were subject to CGT but if she gifts her her part of the house at a later date then houses aren’t subject to CGT.... I stand to be corrected tho
  • Hali-5
    Also thanks for all the replies! I wasn!!!8217;t expecting everyone to be so helpful to a newbie :)
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ultimately the aim is to gift and currently trying to avoid the capital gains tax. We were under the impression that cash gifts were subject to CGT but if she gifts her her part of the house at a later date then houses aren’t subject to CGT.... I stand to be corrected tho

It's the opposite way around. There is no gift tax, capital gains or otherwise in the UK so your mum is free to gift you as much cash as she likes. Providing your mother survives for 7 years after making the gift it shouldn't be subject to Inheritance Tax either.

However, when disposing of property that is not your main residence and has never been your main residence that will trigger a capital gains tax liability.
  • Hali-5
    Brill, thank you, any idea where official I can find that written down to show her?
    Thanks for your help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport