Universal credit: Frank Field MP wants to hear your experiences

Comments

• UKParliament
    UKParliament Posts: 749 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    This debate is taking place in Westminster Hall. This is a general debate, and there will be no change to the law as a result of it. It is an opportunity for MPs to question the Government on their policy, in this case on Universal Credit. A government minister will attend and will have to respond to the points raised during the debate.

You can find out more about Westminster Hall debates here.
    Official Organisation Representative
    I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
  • Weary_soul
    Weary_soul Posts: 272 Forumite
    The government NEVER listens. It's all just hot air blowing about that they never ever act upon. Right from It's inception the government were warned at how bad and cruel UC was and yet they chose to ignore it.

When UC really starts to bite I think then people will really kick off, especially now working folk who thought the term 'benefit scum' just applied to the unemployed and sick/disabled and now they're being included into that 'happy band' in the eyes of the Tories. A party who imo you wouldn't trust organise a kids tea party let alone this country.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I still don't understand how the government managed to push Universal Credit through in the beginning. Does everything that is supposed to bring savings just automatically get pushed through without an independent investigation as to whether those claims are true.

Oops nieve head on. Of course they do. Warnings are disregarded and things that are reported to 'save' money actually cost more. And few people in government seem to care.

Now the Audit Commission acknowledges a lot of the disaster that is UC, both to claimants and the Government (as it doesn't save money and doesn't work, even the software doesn't work), but says the changeover can't be reversed.

I have no idea how I will cope when the changeover to UC occurs. How I will feed my son (both of us have disabiities), pay bills etc. Last time there was a changeover to benefits I was told there was a loan you could get to help while waiting for the change to go thru. Lost my application. So I just didn't eat. Tried to give what I had to my son who was then 5. And I am a diabetic (unstable) as well as having other challenges.

Yep I dread UC. Its like a shadow hanging over every benefit claimant. I doubt I will ever work because of the challenges I have. I don't have a lot of choice. No government should be able to behave this irresponsibly.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    This debate is taking place in Westminster Hall. This is a general debate, and there will be no change to the law as a result of it.

I'm sure i read somewhere this was going to happen, however, I'm now too exhausted to find where i saw this.
    Weary_soul wrote: »
    The government NEVER listens. It's all just hot air blowing about that they never ever act upon. Right from It's inception the government were warned at how bad and cruel UC was and yet they chose to ignore it.

When UC really starts to bite I think then people will really kick off, especially now working folk who thought the term 'benefit scum' just applied to the unemployed and sick/disabled and now they're being included into that 'happy band' in the eyes of the Tories. A party who imo you wouldn't trust organise a kids tea party let alone this country.

This forum will be inundated with UC queries, they are already multiplying on this forum. However, the majority of claimants will be 'managed migration' with 'transitional protection' from July 2019.

The majority of the 'problems' at the moment are with claimants who are unfortunate enough to be 'naturally' migrating? Should those claimants be stuck in a benefits trap which affects their quality of 'life' either way? Lose, lose, lose, situation.

To reiterate my question for Frank Field to ask the government on their policy, tomorrow:

What safety net is in place for severely disabled claimants currently in receipt of the EDP and SDP on legacy benefits, naturally migrating to Universal Credit, presumably still without 'transitional protection,' right now?

Will i still have my own legal battle to pursue?

I'm done with this thread, now. It is clearly a waste of time and energy.

No amount of debate is clearly not going to resolve the very real impact of the change to UC for severely disabled claimants, for one.

I now need to focus on trying to survive this nightmare. Hopefully, I won't end up living in a cardboard box on the street, (a very real possibility,) which i definitely won't survive, with my health conditions.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite

Now the Audit Commission acknowledges a lot of the disaster that is UC, both to claimants and the Government (as it doesn't save money and doesn't work, even the software doesn't work), but says the changeover can't be reversed....

The Audit Commission was abolished in 2015. I think you mean the National Audit Office.

https://www.nao.org.uk/report/rolling-out-universal-credit/
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    On the positive side, I've just been helping a friend (single parent) with her UC and she'll be significantly better off under UC, also will make life easier to not have to report income to 3 separate govt departments who all use a different definition of income.

Any change in the benefits system will always cause problems, and winners and losers, remember all the problems with tax credits rollout in 2003-2005, the failed attempt to make it digital, the problems with overpayments etc.
  • Weary_soul
    Weary_soul Posts: 272 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2018 at 9:31AM
    The big difference (as many others have pointed out elsewhere) UC is a benefit set up to fail. It's purpose is to make it difficult to claim and the regime a claimant has to go through to stay on it, (even when working) that people will do anything not to claim it.

It's not there to help, but to hinder imo. I'm not the only one to think this either....

https://www.24housing.co.uk/news/housing-federations-unite-to-fight-flawed-universal-credit/
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Weary_soul wrote: »
    The big difference (as many others have pointed out elsewhere) UC is a benefit set up to fail. It's purpose is to make it difficult to claim and the regime a claimant has to go through to stay on it, (even when working) that people will do anything not to claim it.

It's not there to help, but to hinder imo.
    No it isn't. That's tin-foil hat conspiracy theory. UC is supported in principle across the political spectrum and by poverty charities, eg here's what the JRF say: https://www.jrf.org.uk/press/jrf-statement-universal-credit

The implementation leaves a lot to be desired, but like tax credits, "never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence".

As with all things where there are winners and losers, the losers will shout the loudest while the winners stay quiet.
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I should start with an admission that I'm still on legacy benefits, though I have an appreciation of the effects of UC as I volunteer as an adviser.

For me, in my position as a carer for my disabled partner (currently claiming carer's allowance and ESA) the rules surrounding working on UC are much, much more generous than ESA. The harsh withdrawal of benefits on ESA if I work mean I feel trapped. UC gives a work allowance much more generous than the £20 a week of ESA (in our case with no housing costs it's £409 a month), and then instead of a pound for pound reduction in benefit it's a taper rate of 63%. I now feel that I can try and have a working life in addition to being a carer. Our claim under UC will be greater than ESA even if I don't work as my partner is in the support group.

I do however have concerns surrounding the treatment of self employed people on UC. While I broadly support the aims of the minimum income floor, the application of the rule on a monthly basis doesn't take into consideration the seasonal nature of many businesses or even the quite reasonable desire to have an annual two week holiday. An employee will have 'holiday pay' which is held back by their employer and paid while they are on holiday. A self employed person cannot 'hold back' a similiar income as it has to be declared in the month it is earned, and therefore their income will be severely reduced in the month they take their holiday. The MIF will kick in and they will be left in a much poorer position than a similar paid employee.

A further issue with the MIF concerns self employed people who are ill for a short or medium term. It has been confirmed to me via a FOI request that if the self employed person intends to resume employment once their health has improved then the MIF will still be in place, even if they have a fit note. The example given in a government document is a plumber with a broken leg who is not expected to be able to work for 6 months, still has the MIF applied. Again, they cannot 'hold back' income to cover these situations, and if the MIF is applied when there is no prospect of being able to earn then self employed people face very real hardship including losing their homes.

The last issue with self employment is the unfairness of how those earning less than their MIF compare to employed persons earning less than their CET. The employed will be put onto the 'light touch' regime if the household income over £338 per month (single claim) or £541 a month (joint claim). They will have no obligation to work search or increase earnings and UC will be maximised. However the self employed have the MIF set at their CET and if they earn the same as a household of employed persons at the light touch level the self employed person will be penalised by the MIF assuming their earnings are at the higher CET level.
  • UKParliament
    UKParliament Posts: 749 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone,

We have a message from Frank Field MP:
    “After I secured my Westminster Hall debate, it was announced that an Opposition Day debate would take place on the same subject at the same time on the floor of the House. I therefore withdrew my debate, but will instead be delivering my speech in the Opposition Day debate.”

The Westminster Hall debate will now not be taking place tomorrow but there will be a debate on Universal Credit in the main Chamber. You can watch this on Parliament TV.

Please continue to post your comments until 4pm today and we will share them with Frank Field.
    Official Organisation Representative
    I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure