Adding new young driver to my existing car insurance

I've read much about young drivers' car insurance, but they all seem to be from the perspective of the young person getting their own insurance on their own first car.

My situation (which I guess is quite common) is that my 17y/o son has just passed his test, and whereas before he had a stand-alone Learner's Insurance to drive my car (separate from my policy), that ends the minute he passed his test.

Paradoxically, the moment he passed the test, he seems to become an almost uninsurable risk, whereas when he was still a learner insurance was quite reasonable.

There seems to be no way to shop around to get a decent price. Adding him to my existing policy as a named driver means my insurer (Admiral) has me over a barrel - only they can quote. They are keen to exploit their advantage, despite their claims to the contrary (link disallowed by board...)

Is there no equivalent of a Learner Policy, something that covers him only whilst he is driving the car, but as a qualified driver?

Else how can I shop around? All I can think of is to go for a whole new policy and cancel my existing policy mid-term (for a fee, of course).

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,971
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Paradoxically, the moment he passed the test, he seems to become an almost uninsurable risk, whereas when he was still a learner insurance was quite reasonable.

That's because, as a learner, he had to be accompanied by a qualified driver at all times and so would be less likely to do anything daft.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    foible wrote: »
    Else how can I shop around? All I can think of is to go for a whole new policy and cancel my existing policy mid-term (for a fee, of course).
    Follow the MSE guide to car insurance (link amongst quick links at the top of the page) for tips on how to shop around

Then do the sums and if it's cost effective then cancel and go elsewhere
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It is standard for a massive increase in insurance for a newly quailfied young driver, while learning they are under supervision now as a someone that has just passed their test they are a far bigger risk, statistics show that during the first thee years they are far more likely to be involved in an accident than at any other time consequently premiums increase accordingly.
  • foible
    foible Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 15 April 2018 at 7:13PM
    OK, thanks for all the wisdom, my own stupid fault for writing all that preamble - I was only trying to set the scene, and venting. I do understand about the differences between learners (accompanied) and newbie full licence holders.

It is the last two paragraphs, with questions marks, where I am looking for answers:
    1) Can my son get a stand-alone insurance in his name, as a qualified driver, to drive my car - just he could as a learner driver? (I ask because this would be subject to competitive price pressure, adding him to my existing policy is not)

2) Or is there another way of keeping the insurer's price under pressure (beyond the one I suggest; cancel and start over?)

I guess that my point is that 99% of offspring are going to pass their test during the term of their parents' insurance - when the only insurer who can pitch for the extra-driver business is the incumbent, insulated from competition. Since this must be such a common problem, I hoped someone had already found a good solution.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    1) Can my son get a stand-alone insurance in his name, as a qualified driver, to drive my car - just he could as a learner driver? (I ask because this would be subject to competitive price pressure, adding him to my existing policy is not)

Yes, I believe that he can take out a separate policy on your car.

Don't, however, necessarily expect this to be cheaper than adding him as a named driver to your own insurance. He is 17 years old and has just passed his test, so he is an incredibly high risk. If your car is relatively powerful, large, expensive, then the insurance will cost a lot.
    2) Or is there another way of keeping the insurer's price under pressure (beyond the one I suggest; cancel and start over?)

There is no difference in terms of competitiveness between him looking for his own policy, and you comparing prices on policies with him as a named driver. Assuming you already have maximum NCD then there is little disadvantage to switching your insurance provider mid-term.

Admiral will give you a quote to add him, and you can then compare this with other providers (factoring in the cost of terminating your policy).
    I guess that my point is that 99% of offspring are going to pass their test during the term of their parents' insurance - when the only insurer who can pitch for the extra-driver business is the incumbent, insulated from competition. Since this must be such a common problem, I hoped someone had already found a good solution.

Your current insurer is not the only one who can quote for a policy with your son as a named driver.
  • ValiantSon wrote: »
    Your current insurer is not the only one who can quote for a policy with your son as a named driver.

On my existing policy? Which was the context.

I have found that Veygo (part of Admiral, ho hum) who insured him as a learner (stand-alone policy, short term, in his name) also do "Car Sharing Insurance", which might do the trick. It works out roughly the same price/day as Admiral quoted me to add my son to my existing policy (I have largely given up trying to add him permanently!)

But with Veygo it looks very simple and flexible, I can insure for any period from one hour to 30 days at a go. It is set up to keep details on file, making it quick and easy to buy a day's (or whatever) insurance as and when with a few mouse clicks.

That would probably do, he is still at school, but it seemed a pity to say, "congrats on passing your test son, that means you can't drive any more!" At least like this he can drive occasionally at weekends, family trips, etc. And I don't risk my no claims!
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,971
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 April 2018 at 1:03PM
    Neighbours had a similar problem. As they both had high powered, expensive, cars it worked out cheaper to buy their son a little 1.0 car for about £2K which they then insured in his name with mum and dad as named drivers.
  • My 17 year old daughter is about to start learning to drive and we would like to take her out in our own car every now and again. Does anyone have any recommendations for a stand alone LEARNER driver insurance that I can use, separate to my own policy, as my own policy does not offer this for 17 year olds.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Google for learner driver insurance to find some suggestions
  • frogeye
    frogeye Posts: 27
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Try Veygo - very easy to set up £6 for 4 hours or £120 for 10 weeks, as a guide!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure