What % do you pay?

Options

Comments

• Notepad_Phil
    Options
    My employer sets us up at 5% but I'm debating increasing this..

I'm in my fifties and retired - which was greatly helped by my paying greater than the minimum contributions for the last 20 years of my work life. The last years were at 25% pension with extra savings/investing outside of that as well.

Keep your contributions to the minimum if you are happy to retire at 67 (or whatever age it is by the time you want to retire) and want to have all your treats now rather than be able to afford those treats when you are retired.

If you're anything like me then you'll start to increase your contributions - I found the easiest way was to always put a chunk of any salary increase straight into extra pension contributions.
  • bostonerimus
    Options
    I think you should try to contribute at least 10% yourself ie before any employer contributions are included. That should give you a good chance at a useful nest egg eventually.

I started out at 10% and then had a couple of years of lower contributions when I was first married and saving for a house deposit. After that I always maxed out my pension and got up to 50% of my gross salary for many years.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Employer pays 19% into DB scheme.
    I pay 9.6% into DB scheme.
    I pay an additional 46% into DC scheme.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Options
    Just wondering what % everyone pays into their work pension?

I am in the TPS and I pay just over 10% (Defined benefit), but I also pay the other 90% of my gross salary to buy additional pension (within scheme rules), so I pay in 100% of my gross salary when the scheme rules allow.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    47k GBP so far this year. Makes it around 40%. Not just workplace, this covers all liquid investments across the board.
  • ess0two
    ess0two Posts: 3,606 Forumite
    Options
    10% myself,company 15% DC, got 28yrs total tied up in 3 DB schemes,plan to retire mid 50's.
    Official MR B fan club,dont go............................
    232607 Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    I pay 16% & my Co a a further 15%.
    Planning to go at 55. Realistically you do need an input of around 30% from an early age to retire this early.
    Fortunately I’ve had these sort of contributions from an early age & now looking at just over 2 years to go.
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,878 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Starting MSE “rule of thumb” is to put half your age in %.
    For example: a 30-year old would want to pop 15% as a minimum: if work put in 5%, add 10% of your own. By the time they are 50, the total invested might want to be 25%.

I’ve varied my sums....my company put 6% in, I have varied from 10-24% extra over the past 15 years, depending on other things going on.

For those wanting to retire early, remember you need to build up a non-pension sum to fill the gap......so ideally stash some cash into ISAs (tax free at withdrawal).
    Wish I had done more in years gone by towards that, but looking in fair shape!
    Also remember......to live! Family, holidays, sabbaticals, cars, houses......all need funding too ;)
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,675 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

What other people do is wholly irrelevant unless their circumstances are identical to yours - and they won't be.

Age, planned retirement age, state of health, attitude to risk, what you can afford, other savings...the list is endless. Take the decision that you feel is right for you.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • desrese
    desrese Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Me 35% Employer 15% under salary sacrifice. I have paid more, but it was on the limit of affordability.

It is good to test your expected income in retirement, by living off it for a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure