Car Insurance 'No Fault' should equal 'No Cost'

Back in 2015 and 2016 I had the only car accidents I ever needed insurance for in 30+ years of driving. Both were 'Non-Fault' - other cars ran into me. When the time came for renewal I used a price comparison site and got quotes and went with the cheapest. Before going ahead, I thought I had better check the proper dates on the 2 accidents rather than the ones I guessed when I got the quote. Good job, as I was 6 months out on the first one. So, I rang and told them the correct date and my quote went up by £100. I queried why, as it was a no fault accident and my no claims was unaffected. The lady explained that from the insurers point of view it still showed that I drove in the same places and at times as careless drivers, so my premiums would be higher. Isn't it only fair that a as well as getting your car fixed you should also have compensation for the extra premiums you will have to pay in the future. No Fault should equal No Cost!

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Your no claims remains.

Your insurance risk has risen as you had 2 accidents , so your premium has risen . Same applies if you move from a good neighbourhood to a crap one
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    peterbh wrote: »
    Back in 2016 I had the only car accidents I ever needed insurance for ** you should also have compensation for the extra premiums you will have to pay in the future. No Fault should equal No Cost!

In my case 50 years & yes it should & frankly I wish. It has certainly made me more aware of how many total prats there are on the road & makes me wonder how on earth they are passing their driving tests.
  • casseus
    casseus Posts: 230 Forumite
    When you have a bump you also increase YOU'RE risk statistic, when you have two you prove the statistic right and it increases further, so you become a medium to high risk client of being involved in an accident be that fault or non fault. Its only natural for underwriters to think that your an investment risk in having you on the books, just you would think it would be a risk having someone who has 2 accidents to drive your car your that more alerted to the fact, there fore you are more cautious in giving them the keys.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure