MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Anne put the animals down?

Options

Comments

• Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Enchantica wrote: »
    Quote: Down the chop shop with the lot of them, she can always buy replacements if her finances pick up again at a later date.

This is an ugly comment. And part of the reason why this thread should be removed.

I seemed to miss the notice where you were put in charge here and became the arbiter of what should and shouldn't be discussed!!

I added that quote to add balance to those who started comparing euthansing animals to killing children.

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • smartiepants
    smartiepants Posts: 509 Forumite
    Options
    No, no, no
    Make it happen (old signature)

Making it happen (NEW Signature Jan 2009)
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I seemed to miss the notice where you were put in charge here and became the arbiter of what should and shouldn't be discussed!!

I added that quote to add balance to those who started comparing euthansing animals to killing children.

It is common sense that a debate like this is going to upset some people and go down a bad road, as it is. I have no idea what possessed someone to put this up at all. Debates about trying on clothes and ripping them etc isn't going to cause upset, whereas this is. I doubt the idea of MSE is to cause upset to its members with discussions like this. Which only have one answer at the end of the day, do the RIGHT thing and take them to a shelter. I don't care if people say "oh that's just your opinion". I can't comprehend the other option, it's just utterly insane and makes no sense when there are shelter all over the country.
  • Bleepme
    Options
    ... good source of food and cash...

Alternatively, she could go to one of the charities that will take them in, of course, until she's back on her feet.
  • MattLG
    MattLG Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    This would be illegal right?
  • Enchantica
    Options
    ****** trolls.
  • Enchantica
    Options
    MattLG wrote: »
    This would be illegal right?

A good vet wouldn't do it. Some would though.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are all (well mostly) adults here so an emotive debate should not be beyond us without too much foot stamping, 'ugly' comments and demands for deletion of the thread.

Unfortunately that's not the case with MSE though. People are fine discussing giving up a seat on a train, but with something as emotive as this, things change, people can be thoughtless or just downright nasty and someone will get hurt or upset.

It also seems a tad hypocritical to delete posts or threads on emotive subjects previously, yet MSE themselves start one which is obviously going to evoke similar heated comments.

Imo. :D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Enchantica wrote: »
    I NEVER said that certain ones are protected and others aren't. Ones with big claws and pointy teeth shouldn't be killed either. I have NO idea where you got that from.

You said it was wrong to kill defenseless animals, I was wondering what level of defence would be required before your statement did not apply. Is it okay to kills tigers, they are far from defenceless?
    All animals are defenseless in this situation, they can't speak up for themselves so someone has to speak for them. The owner is in control and the animals are defenseless against her decision.

So you are saying because donkeys can't talk it is wrong for them to be put down. This is getting quite surreal.
    I DO NOT believe that any healthy animal should be put down. NO idea where you got that from.

How about an obese cat that is getting no exercise and whose health is quite frankly appalling?

Other people do not share your opinion, does that make them wrong because they do not agree with you?

"We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Enchantica
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's not the case with MSE though. People are fine discussing giving up a seat on a train, but with something as emotive as this, things change, people can be thoughtless or just downright nasty and someone will get hurt or upset.

It also seems a tad hypocritical to delete posts or threads on emotive subjects previously, yet MSE themselves start one which is obviously going to evoke similar heated comments.

Imo. :D

That's an interesting point, that they delete posts and threads that are emotive and yet have one themselves. Hmmm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure