'The trick to access every network's signal from your mobile' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Personally, I use Three for my mobile calls. I'm a very light mobile phone user, the calls cost about 3p/min and the coverage seems to be fine in most areas of England & Wales.:)
  • I had a GoSim that I travelled the world with and used in the UK - it was great for me as I didn't have to pay to receive calls in many countries however, although it looks like a UK mobile number (starts 07..), it is a special 'forwarding' number that is excluded from inclusive minutes so the people calling me would be paying [15]p/min
  • If you have a Global SIM, it's the caller that ends up paying through the nose.

All you end up doing is shifting the cost to your mates and family!
  • lean&mean
    lean&mean Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Mark and Fruitmachine are quite right. I have used WorldSim and transferred my T-Mobile incoming calls to it. UK networks used to include my WorldSim in their free minutes but now it's £1.50 a minute to call the Jersey number. Ouch! Worldsim still claim that calls to their numbers are included in 'some networks' but I haven't found one.

But if you simply must get a signal and are using the phone for outgoing calls only it's worthwhile.

My tip, select Global Roaming, on the sim's menu and you can use it on any network in the UK. Quite a good way to find out which network has the strongest signal where you are.
  • MDonovan
    MDonovan Posts: 9 Forumite
    I have had various non-UK sims for a while now, and currently use a B&You (low-cost Bouygues) SIM for France. This deal was subsequently stopped because it gives me the FR number for life (not 6 months without Top-Up) and any credit on it lasts indefinitely so long as one chargeable operation is done per year. I now use this SIM in the UK as exactly that - a "best coverage" option since if it really is an emergency, then I will not be on the phone for hours. Sometimes just a text will do. As EU Roaming prices lower, and in two years disappear, this option will become more and more interesting.
  • James_Boyd
    James_Boyd Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 29 July 2014 at 12:55PM
    I think it is great that we get more network coverage around UK. it is a about time. people are paying £10-£65 line rental and we should be able to use our phone in UK.

I live on the 5th floor and I do not get network. what! why? and this only happens when I am inside.
  • rdr
    rdr Posts: 400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have a dual sim phone with two payg SIMs: UK T-mobile for incoming calls, data and any "free" minutes; and a french Lebara SIM for sending SMS (roaming costs capped at less than T-mobile rate) and non free calls (again capped). I also get data in France at non-roaming rates, the increased coverage is also a bonus.
    I think my total mobile spend will decrease and I will gain data in France.
  • Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MSE should be careful when supporting the government's plan to force roaming on British mobile network operators. Most independent telecoms experts agree that this plan would cost about £3bn, would create problems for data access and possible disruption to text and voice comms, and you can be sure that these costs would be passed on to the consumer.
    As usual politicians jump at headlines, particularly during a time of pre-election frenzy, and we all know that they know jack-st*t about technology or how to implement it. The real experts say that there is a much easier and less costly way of achieving a better result for all. The government and MSE should listen to them too.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Perhaps update the blog as to what happens when brexit takes place.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure