Using credit cards for car finance

Options
Hey, firstly I apologise if this is the the wrong place but I found the site a little confusing to navigate!

I am due to buy a car in a few weeks, looking at around the £16,000 mark. I have £4,000 deposit and i am interested in buying- not a PCP.
My question is, how best to finance the rest? HP seems easiest but not necessarily cost-efficient. A personal loan seems like an okay way to go, but again the interest mounts up a little-nothing disastrous.
But, I have looked into combining a few options, splitting the amount between 2 0% credit cards ( or 1 and a loan for the rest) and then balance transferring when the 0% period runs out. I have never done that before and so i'm not sure if that is a risky strategy or not?
What would you do and which method have you preferred in the past?

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It depends on your ability to manage your finances. If you can keep on top of it you can save yourself some money in interest. Make one mistake with it though and its likely youll wipe out any benefit of the lower interest rate.

The other problem that might arise is their might not be a wide array of interest free products available to balance transfer to when you need to, again negating any benefit of the interest free period.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Finding a dealer who will accept such a large portion on a credit card will be your biggest hurdle.

Why is the interest on a personal loan disastrous? Is your credit history not that great?
  • spadoosh
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Finding a dealer who will accept such a large portion on a credit card will be your biggest hurdle.

Why is the interest on a personal loan disastrous? Is your credit history not that great?

They said 'nothing disastrous'
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just get the lowest rate personal loan you can.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    aleycat65 wrote: »
    splitting the amount between 2 0% credit cards
    Aside from the issue of getting a dealer to accept CC payment, do you have two credit cards with a total of £12K available credit at 0%? If not then what leads you to believe that you'd be able to secure these?
  • spadoosh
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Aside from the issue of getting a dealer to accept CC payment, do you have two credit cards with a total of £12K available credit at 0%? If not then what leads you to believe that you'd be able to secure these?

I earn £18500 a year and have 2 0% cards totalling £10,900. Cant be that much of a stretch getting it to £12k, shirley? And most dealers will take payment by credit card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure